Show off your mongrel kits!

skod

I have seen some of the most beautiful kits I have ever imagined since joining the site. I congratulate all you folks for your fine taste in equipment! What a visual treat...

I started this thread for any other folks like me who have kits that only a mother could love. This is my newly-restored Heinz 57 kit: no two parts match. I've also adopted the 12:00 hat setup, with the toms arrayed more or less symmetrically around it- so here's another example of the use of a remote hat for ergonomic reasons, in this case Bill Bachman's excellent Remote Speedy Hat. That item was what really allowed me to get back to my acoustic kit after many years away, playing electronic drums exclusively.

I didn't start out with the idea that I would build a mismatched kit- it happened out of necessity. The original 5-piece was a no-name Japanese thing, and over the years of knocking around clubs in Boston playing hard-edged stuff in the 80s both of the rack tom shells split, followed in short order by the floor tom shell. Luckily, I lived just around the corner from Jack's Drum Shop in Boston, so when a shell would die, I'd just go in and pick up anything that a) sounded good and b) I could afford, to replace it... After a while, I came to really like the fact that each drum has a completely unique character, and I've stayed with it. I love the way it sounds, and I can assure you that it doesn't sound like anyone else's kit.

1967 Slingerland snare, Tama 10", Premier 12", Ludwig 13" and 16", and the surviving no-name 20" kick. Not shown in this setup, a mahogany Sonor 18" floor, just in case I need more thud. Rack courtesy of my junkbox and Ebay, as are the Optimounts- which are really nice for mounting mismatched drums without having to hack up the shells...

Your mileage may vary: but enjoy!

Attachments

• skodkit.jpg
    skodkit.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 10,030
  • skodkit2.jpg
    skodkit2.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 1,281
  • skodkitpov.jpg
    skodkitpov.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 3,269
Last edited:
I play a Sonor force series 2007

The drums were originally wrapped in snow white, but I took off the wrap and had the drums painted. The kit started with two rack toms, a 9x12 and a 10x13. Not long after I bought the drums I sold the 10x13 because I didn't have means of placing the toms the way I wanted them, so I only played one.

I later bought an old pearl kit from a friend. It had paiste hi hats and a Paiste crash, and the price he wanted for the whole kit (stands and all) it was a steal. I peeled away the current wrap that was on the floor tom of the kit and had it wrapped with matching white to go with my Sonor drums. After I had it wrapped I discovered the shade didn't quite match. I ended up selling the rest of the items from the pearl kit on Craigslist.

When I had my kit painted red, the Pearl tom then matched the rest of the kit in shade perfectly. I even found a badge to tack on it. So only the lugs do not match these days.

I also ditched the Sonor snare when I found a 1980s Tama Swingstar at the local Goodwill.

themismatch1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok this is not my kit but I needed to share the pictures with you. I saw it on a french forum. 3 or 4 snares used, I love it

Last edited:
That actually looks really comfortable to play, I can already imagine what kind of grooves would come off that kit.

This is my favorite "mongrel kit":

Attachments

• Buckets & Pans Drum Kit_n.jpg
    Buckets & Pans Drum Kit_n.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 887
I have seen some of the most beautiful kits I have ever imagined since joining the site. I congratulate all you folks for your fine taste in equipment! What a visual treat...

I started this thread for any other folks like me who have kits that only a mother could love. This is my newly-restored Heinz 57 kit: no two parts match. I've also adopted the 12:00 hat setup, with the toms arrayed more or less symmetrically around it- so here's another example of the use of a remote hat for ergonomic reasons, in this case Bill Bachman's excellent Remote Speedy Hat. That item was what really allowed me to get back to my acoustic kit after many years away, playing electronic drums exclusively.

I didn't start out with the idea that I would build a mismatched kit- it happened out of necessity. The original 5-piece was a no-name Japanese thing, and over the years of knocking around clubs in Boston playing hard-edged stuff in the 80s both of the rack tom shells split, followed in short order by the floor tom shell. Luckily, I lived just around the corner from Jack's Drum Shop in Boston, so when a shell would die, I'd just go in and pick up anything that a) sounded good and b) I could afford, to replace it... After a while, I came to really like the fact that each drum has a completely unique character, and I've stayed with it. I love the way it sounds, and I can assure you that it doesn't sound like anyone else's kit.

1967 Slingerland snare, Tama 10", Premier 12", Ludwig 13" and 16", and the surviving no-name 20" kick. Not shown in this setup, a mahogany Sonor 18" floor, just in case I need more thud. Rack courtesy of my junkbox and Ebay, as are the Optimounts- which are really nice for mounting mismatched drums without having to hack up the shells...

Your mileage may vary: but enjoy!

Yes only a mother could love that kit but jellybean kits culd look nice. I have painted my own jellybeam kit. Can show ya later.

Back