Sonor Safari

Black Galaxy Safari just arrived, amazed at the fit and finish for the $$. Hardware as good as it gets. BD an toms full and robust. The bad news is the snare, just can't figure it out and even if I could get it right, not sure I could live with that cheesy throw off. Using my 14 Trick snare instead. Waiting for Dixon stands to complete the kit All in all, very pleased.

You have been assimilated.

Give the snare a chance. I noted the cheesy throw off, too, at first but, with some attention the snare can do the job.

I have been beating the snot out of this kit, using it on many gigs now, and it
delivers, while showing no wear. This is the most favorite kit I have played over the years.

Thanks, maybe the snare will wake up someday. Tried Fiberskins, no luck, still that dead thunk. Actually, thinking of getting another kit in "natural" and leaving it at my vacation home. The way i look at it, the prices will only go up. Footprint is non existent, don't think my SO has even noticed it yet . lol

I have been completely through the snare.
I have replaced all hardware on the drum including Hoops, Throw off, and Snares.
Someone put wooden hoops on one and that seemed to work according to their post.
It is the shell itself that is just not hard enough.
I did get mine to sound pretty good just as Frank did his.

Alright you guys did it to me. I was at the store a couple months ago and saw this little Sonor kit. I've only seen one other Sonor kit there in the past 5 years, and being a rabid Thomas Lang fan I had to jump on it. Boy was I impressed with the sound to price ratio, not to mention the weight. The store has sold at least three Safaris since then.

Thanks to all of the reviews and sound clips, especially Bo Eder's, my Sonor kit is in the mail. But it changed from a Safari to a Bop to a 6 piece Extreme Birch to a 5 piece Force 3007... dang drums.

Haven't had a kit since I sold my 6 piece Pearl VSX Strata Red.

EXCITED!!!!

First of all, thanks to everyone who has posted so much helpful information about the Sonor Safari kit in this thread! I am a professional percussionist in LA, and although I do most of my professional work as a hand percussionist specializing in world percussion, I have played and studied drum set for many years. I ordered my Sonor Safari Kit in Natural Finish today and in additional to using it as a straight ahead drum set, I am also excited about integrating the 16" kick into some of my hybrid hand percussion setups. Could anyone provide me with the diameter of the tom post as I am trying to figure out what sort of hardware configuration would allow me to mount a 10" Remo Mondo snare drum on the Sonor Safari kick drum? Thanks in advance!

The tom mounting post on the Safari tom mount is not round, it is hexagonal and it is 10mm.
The down tube that goes into the receiver is 1 inch.

Thanks for the info about the tom mount, Bob! Much appreciated! Would love to know what kind of heads all of you have tried on these drums?

Thanks for the info about the tom mount, Bob! Much appreciated! Would love to know what kind of heads all of you have tried on these drums?
10 inch tom, I use a Coated G1 over a Genera Resonate.

Floor Tom, Coated Aquarian Studio-X over a coated Evans G1. (I remove the muffle ring from the Studio-X)

Bass, Remo PS3 with a Remo Fiberskin in front.

Snare, Gibraltar wood hoops, Aquarian Focus-X with a Classic Clear on the snare side.
Puresound Pro Brass 24 strand strainer.

Again, thanks for the info, Bob! I'm also curious about SOFT cases. Gator Cases offer a 14x5 Snare Case, a 10x8 Rim Mount Tom Case, and a 14x14 Tom Case which I'm assuming the drums will fit into without any problem. Anyone tried to fit the Safari kick into the Gator 16x16 Case?

Again, thanks for the info, Bob! I'm also curious about SOFT cases. Gator Cases offer a 14x5 Snare Case, a 10x8 Rim Mount Tom Case, and a 14x14 Tom Case which I'm assuming the drums will fit into without any problem. Anyone tried to fit the Safari kick into the Gator 16x16 Case?
I fit my Safari kick into a Galaxy 16x16 standard floor tom bag with no problems. It is slightly on the tight side but the drum goes into the bag easily.
I am using Galaxy bags for my entire Safari kit. They are inexpensive and they are good bags.

I could not get my Safari Kick in my Gator protector 16"x16" bag but it fits fine in my 18"x20" Gator bag as does my 18" Gretsch Catalina. I ordered a Gator 5 piece bag set for my Jazz Catilina's a couple years ago for $99 and got a 10" bag that fits the 10" Safari tom fine and the 14" snare and 14" and 18" bags work fine for the floor tom and kick drum. I just love my little Safari kit. One of the best drum investments I have ever made. Altough I look like a giant sitting behind it. My kit sounds great stock. I spent a little time tuneing it.
I am sure you can't go wrong investing in more expensive heads but I didn't find it necessary. When or if I do I will get some Remo Ebony Ambassador heads for the toms. I think they would look and sound sharp on the Black Galaxy Sparkle along with the stock black reso on the kick.

Well of course the 16" Safari bass drum won't fit in a 16x16 tom case - the hoops make the drum deeper than normal. You've have to have at least an 18" deep case for the bass drum.

Thanks for the input on cases, guys! Much appreciated! After seeing Bob's reply, I went ahead and ordered the Humes & Berg Galaxy Bags, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the 16x16 bag for the kick! Counting the days until my Safari arrives! Anybody in the LA area in the market for a Yamaha Beech Custom 5-piece? :)

Well of course the 16" Safari bass drum won't fit in a 16x16 tom case - the hoops make the drum deeper than normal. You've have to have at least an 18" deep case for the bass drum.
I knew from past experience with my other drums that the Galaxy bags ran on the large side. Thats how I knew to order a 16x16 floor tom Galaxy bag for the Sonor bass.
My bass fits in the bag with the spurs and the riser attached. It is a good fit.

Remember, when bagging a bass drum always slide the bag over the drum and don't try to stuff the drum into the bag like it was a small tom or a snare.

Here is my Safari bass in a Galaxy bag. You can see that there is ample space.
I also attached another recent live recording of my Safari.
It was this young ladies first time singing if front of a band and she was shaking from the nerves.
She did well.

Attachments

• 1012010727.jpg
    1012010727.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,633
  • When You Wish Upon A Star 1.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Looks like a good fit Bob. I have a Galaxy bag for my 14"x24" Premier bass drum and they are nice bags. I have 10 12 14 16 18 and 22 inch Gator Bags and I use them for all my sets when I dont want to use my hard fibre cases.I can throw my Safari's or Jazz cat's in the bags and right in the back seat of the car. I have a little fibre trap case on wheels I found on Craigs List for $10 that holds all my vintage flat base hardware and a cymbal bag. I can't believe when I was in my 20's I carried around a 11 piece set with cymbals, hard cases and large trap case. Once did 31 one nighters in a row.
To old and lazy to even think about it now.

Ya know Vibes, the hardware bag is still heavy even with the Safari.
I bought the thinest cymbal stands and a Sonor 100 single braced hat stand and the bag weighs about 80 LBS.
There is no getting around it. Hardware weighs a lot.

Here are my Safari's all packed and ready to go. That little trap case on wheels is perect for the 3 1400 vintage Ludwig stands I use with my Small sets. also the hi hat and snare stand, seat hardware, foot pedal, Bass tom mount, floor tom legs, riser,stick bag. It's only about 40 or so lbs.
IMG_3993.jpg

picture.php

You're good to go Vibes
Happy Safari-ing! LOL
I can't believe that your hardware weighs that little.

Back