Favorite metal drummer?

Re: tell me who is the best metal drummer!

Dimm_Slayer said:
Since when are any of those bands METAL (except Nile)? It's all metalcore and nu-metaland UNDEROATH? JESUS CHRIST MAN!

Thankyou!! finally some METAL, not mall-rat metalcore/emo/mathcore/hardcore blurrrch!

Re: Best metal drummers?

Since when was Lamb of God not metal? They're most certainly not nu-metal.

I sense the same divisions here as I see in the jazz World. Everybody getting picky as to what defines a genre.

Last 20 years? For sheer imagination, as has been said, Tool. Yes, Flo Mounier may be faster, yes Dave Lombardo may have a more powerful sound, yes George Kollias may be more extreme and yes Gene Hoglan may have some simply stunning independence, but for sheer imagination and creativity, it has to be Tool. Look at the tom grooves, look at the fat backbeats, look at the sheer imagination used to create those parts.

Danny Carey went against the grain of 'faster, more extreme' and stuck with his own thing, to great effect as well. I can see that and I wouldn't even particularly call myself a Tool fan, I just think from my perspective he plays the best 'music' compared to the other guys who all play similar parts at varying speeds and intensities. There are of course, exceptions and those are exceptionally good at those similar parts (look at the list above and decide for yourself, or any drummer you know and like) but Danny Carey has a very individualistic approach. It's hard to define Tool as such, but to not call them metal demonstrates a very narrow perspective.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
I'd put them in the same class as Slipknot, need I say more. Chris alder is overrated too, considering a lot of his fast double kicks were recorded at half the speed as they sound on the album.

I think there are a lot of differences between Lamb of God and Slipknot. For one, Lamb of God do not rely on an image to sell albums, some gimmick. There is no gimmick that I can see. Slipknot use a 'DJ' (using the term loosely here) and various 'Percussionists' (again). If Adler records at half the speed, then surely you'd notice a discrepancy in the sound, speeding up a recording to twice what it was recorded to produce the part at does strange things the sound. Either way, even if he does record at half the speed (which I seriously doubt) he can still consistently play the songs live. So I see no point/need for him to have to play it half speed or indeed I see no problem if he does.

Overrated? That's your choice I suppose. A lot of the time I just think the whole 'metal' genre as it has become is overrated but that's a personal choice.

Some of my favourites are:

Vinnie Paul - Pantera
Lars Ulrich - Metallica
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Jason Bittner - Shadows fall (Don't really like the band but he's an awesome drummer)

KLittle123 said:
Led Zeppelin was a British rock band that became one of the most popular and influential musical ensembles of all time.

The four-member group debuted in 1968 with a raucous and revolutionary take on British blues-rock, and later developed their music in other ways that would contribute to the birth of hard rock and eventually to the rise of heavy metal.-Wikipedia.org

i hope you guys know who I'm about to say, but I'm saying it more in a classic rock point of view, but I'd say best Metal Drummer... atleast back then-- John Bonham

Yes, John Bonham was an absolute legend!!! And was one of the main contributors to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal but not so much as Rainbow's Cozy Powell & Deep Purple's Ian Paice. These were two of the first drummers to introduce a new technique called "double bass drumming" to some of their songs and thus Heavy Metal truely began it's foundations not to mention being some of the biggest inspirations to bands like Slayer & Metallica etc..

On that note I'm glad so many people have mentioned the mighty Dave Lombardo but sad to see not enough mention of the seemingly underrated Paul Bostaph who was up to the task of taking over for Mr. Lombardo and kicked ass doing it eg. Divine Intervention etc........ I'm honestly happy to say I love Lombardo & Bostaph almost on par but Lombardo's awesome work with Fantomas & Testament tip the scales towards Lombardo.

Of course Martin Lopez (Opeth) is an absolute legend and the very cool Igor Cavalera is not to be missed!

Don't ya love it!

The_Chaotic_One said:
Mediocrefunkybeat said:
I'd put them in the same class as Slipknot, need I say more. Chris alder is overrated too, considering a lot of his fast double kicks were recorded at half the speed as they sound on the album.

You clearly haven't seen Lamb of God live - if the kick beats are recorded at half the speed as they're played on the album how does he perform them live? I saw it and heard it with my own eyes/ ears and he most definitely plays the songs exactly the same live as on the record.

They were stunning live, got the crowd going better than most bands I've seen. DevilDriver who supported, similarly, got the crowd going brilliantly, and I don't even like DevilDriver.

To say Lamb of God aren't metal is ridiculous, rock bands don't sound the same now as Sabbath did back in the day for the simple reason that rock has evolved. Metal, too, has evolved (which is why I guess that stupid banner of New Wave of American Heavy Metal came about). Much like any other genre of music, pop, jazz... you name it - stop getting so anal about what "proper" metal is, to be honest it just makes you come off as narrow minded, and I'm sure you're not, I'm sure you're just voicing your opinion, but to write Lamb of God off as not metal... hmmm... personally I don't like As I Lay Dying all that much but I wouldn't consider them "not" metal.

My personal metal favourites are Danny Carey and Chris Adler, along with a host of others, Chris Pennie being the main one that comes to mind.

Pete Sandoval has amazing skills at double bass, Chris adler is definately up there, vinnie paul (just because he could do some cool fills) and definately Daney Carey, if you consider TOOL metal

Chris Pennie of The Dillinger Escape Plan because he incoporates so many different styles of music into his playing and does them all extremely well. Plus, he somehow fits those styles, such as jazz and latin, into all of the odd time signatures and swift time changes that DEP uses and manages to keep the musicality present as well.

I'll throw in Thomas Haake and Nick Barker as well

I wasn't the one who said they are not 'metal' get your facts straight.
And his kicks at half speed wasn't meant to be taken literally, I mean recorded not as fast as they actually are produced on the CD, maybe he got better b4 they played the album live I dunno but thats what i've been told, honesty i don't care.

The_Chaotic_One said:
Thankyou!! finally some METAL, not mall-rat metalcore/emo/mathcore/hardcore blurrrch!

So that wasn't something you posted? If you refer back to the post by Dimm_slayer that you quoted, he quotes a previous post by Kicks_Mc_Gee which lists bands such as Lamb of God, Unearth, The Black Dahlia Murder (how you can't call them metal is completely beyond me?!)...

So, I need to get my facts straight?!

and to believe that Chris Adler recorded his kick beats slower and then "got better" so he could play live... that's just pure naive man, why on earth would any musician record their part slower, have it sped up on record and then have to get better for a live performance? What would he have done had he not been able to improve enough?

altered_beast said:
So that wasn't something you posted? If you refer back to the post by Dimm_slayer that you quoted, he quotes a previous post by Kicks_Mc_Gee which lists bands such as Lamb of God, Unearth, The Black Dahlia Murder (how you can't call them metal is completely beyond me?!)...

So, I need to get my facts straight?!

and to believe that Chris Adler recorded his kick beats slower and then "got better" so he could play live... that's just pure naive man, why on earth would any musician record their part slower, have it sped up on record and then have to get better for a live performance? What would he have done had he not been able to improve enough?

In MY OPINION, I would call them metalcore, what would you call them? And the speed of his kicks thing, I was just mentioning that I had heard or read it somewhere, I never said I think it is true or that it was a fact? IMHO if he DID record them and speed it up for the CD, and then couldn't play it live without getting better at his game, I think it would either be an incentive to practice more or utterly stupid.

Definitely Ted Kirkpatrick of Tourniquet. Incredibly talented musician and song-writer. Not just fast, but truly versatile.

face it people it s acomes down to these five drummers
1.john bonham-bein top metal drummer even though he was rock'n'roll
2.lars ulrich-for pretty much reinventing heavy metal drums to make it what it is today
3.marco pitruzzella- just for bein so godly
4.chris adler-cuz he reinvented metal drums once again and refined them to perfection
5.and of course we cant forget aobut neil pert- he just does things that are purely insane and wouldnt of been thought of until he did it

the worst are of course
1.acdc
2.the majority of punk
3.the majority of hardcore/emo/pop punk/post hardcore drummers none of them are truly gifted drummers they proably was the only thing around that could remotely play the drums

and the thing about chris adler is no way in hell true i seen him do it on video documentary and i seen him do it live -chris adler is amazing-

I would have to say Chris Adler(Lamb Of God), Jason Bittner(Shadows Fall) and Brann Dailor(Mastodon) for today's metal drummers. The old school nods goe to Dave Lombardo(Slayer), Lars Ulrich(Metallica), Vinnie Paul(Pantera).

I would have to say Dave Lombardo. I do enjoy Chris Adler's and Martin Lopez's drumming a lot as well. It's too bad Martin Lopez had to leave Opeth.
Danny Carey is amazing also, but I don't know if I would classify Tool as metal.

Back