Had to quit my rock band

Jules, I don't want any animosity from him. If he is tossed from the band and we replace him....he's vindictive and would bad mouth and undercut anything we did. Not worth it, I'm moving on. It was fun while it lasted. Besides, now I'm more available for the A list blues trio band I've been drumming for recently.

he's vindictive and would bad mouth and undercut anything we did

I see this a bit on Drummerworld. I don't get it to be honest. If I hadn't done many things that I have over the years through fear of someone bad mouthing me for it, I'd have seldom got off the couch.

Hang him, he's a tool. Who cares what he says?

Besides, why should he be the one to drive you away from something you were diggin'? You've spoken of him here before. Sounds like the odd man out to me. Why not take the opportunity to move on with someone more suited?

But it comes down to what you really wanna do mate. Whatever it is, just make sure it's because you wanna do it. No doubting that blues band is one hell of an alternative.

I'm clear on this. I'm done. Honestly, he is a really good rock guitarist. I'm not interested in starting from scratch w/ a new guy, the singer is a nice guy but drinks too much at gigs for my tastes. He sings flat a lot. It was fun while it lasted. There will be bigger better things. It's not like I don't have other offers.

Yeah, there had to be other issues.

Larry, you've put in a lot of effort to reach the standard you're at and now you've earned the right to choose. Any thoughts about what you want to play? Another rock band or more blues?

I like having a rock band. More women go out to see rock bands than blues bands. I dearly love blues, but playing for a bunch of dudes....I get enough of that. I want to see women moving when I play at least some of the time. I'm excited at the possibilities actually.

Like I always say, people never cease to amaze me. What an idiot. :mad:

You did the right thing not talking never again to this moron. Disrespecting you is wrong, but messing with your wife?? Cowardly on FB and while she's living a bad situation? That's just over the top.

He should be the one leaving. Not you. But I understand your decision. You did what's right for your wife. You didn't beat the living s**t out of this idiot (even though he deserves it), you acted like the better man.

Soon you'll find another good band. Singers and guitarists are everywhere. Start over. Have fun.

I'll be sending my best wishes for your wife's grandma and her.

Cheers

I like having a rock band. More women go out to see rock bands than blues bands. I dearly love blues, but playing for a bunch of dudes....I get enough of that. I want to see women moving when I play at least some of the time. I'm excited at the possibilities actually.

Fair nuff. Your interest in women's derrières in motion is pretty well documented now :)

I always felt you could do better than the rock band you were in. I thought you were comfortably the best player in the group. You have the chance to join a better band, and hopefully one full of mature personalities ... not always easy to find, but meeting Bermuda and Weird Al's band earlier this year showed me that it's possible. A rock band I never saw that before - everyone was sane ... I was amazed lol

That's why I stay with my band, even though I've played with better musicians before (but not a better singer). They're all really decent human beings.

F*** this guy. You did the right thing, Larry. If someone wrote something nasty to a special person in my life I'd fly off the handle and do the same thing. He's lucky you didn't punch his lights out, too.

She really didn't deserve that. My wife has dropped off packages to bars on her own, gathered my entire family to surprise me at a gig, she promotes our gigs on facebook faithfully, she helps load gear sometimes, will do anything asked, is coached by me what a good mix consists of so her ear is getting developed, she tells us how the mix sounds...she puts up with rehearsals till 11:00 on a weekday, I could go on but you get the point. When she couldn't make a rare gig because of an obligation, Froggy asked her if she could get her friends to still come out anyway. She's actually the draw in a lot of cases. To mock her in the way he did...I generally don't get angry, it accomplishes nothing. But this made me so angry, if he was right there...

But I let that go. I just can't be around him anymore, he's dead to me.

I am so sorry for all this drama that I've been spilling here in the past 6 months or so. Thanks for all the support.

Yea stay tuned for the exciting adventures of band shopping guy lol. Things happen for a reason. I had no idea that 10 minutes after I woke up I would be flying off the handle quitting a band. There must be some reason that hasn't made itself clear just yet......

Yea Pol, he's my age, 52. And no the thought of quitting had never entered my skull prior to this morning. As soon as I heard him say that she's too dumb to know, my first thought was, "That's it, I'm out". Then I flew up the steps to the phone to pay my last respects.

Larry - when I read the original post I didn't notice it was by you, and when I read what the guitarist did, I naturally thought this was some high school band by the way the guitarist acted. Our band's guitarist is pretty wacky and self-centered, but he would never think to insult my wife, who also brings out most of the fans for the band gigs.

I can see why this idiot soiled your experience with this particular band. Sorry it had to happen to you.

Sorry Larry, I was taken up with family matters last night, so couldn't get to this. Just woken up after sleeping on the couch all night, & my first thought was, I gotta send Larry a support message here.

You must feel like you've been chewing on a lemon, there's that much of a bitter taste in your mouth. This isn't band politics, this is personal. How you managed to avoid breaking his nose, I'll never know. That level of disrespect for your life partner is way off the scale, especially as she's clearly a supportive gem.

You've posted about this self centred & posessive little prick before, so, regrettably, this comes as little surprise. You're completely right to walk too. If what remains of the band isn't exceptional, why go through all the effort to find a replacement player & rework a flawed & tainted band. The other thing that hasn't been mentioned here, is your good lady's view on this. I'm sure she's equally soured by the experience and probably doesn't want the reminder of how her efforts were spat back in her face.

Now down to music. I know you like the different audience demographic associated with a rock band, that's cool, but I think that can be encompassed within something closer to your heart. How about joining/starting a boogie band. Boogie has it all imo. The lovelyness of blues, but delivered in a "girls, hit the dance floor" package. It's got you written all over it Larry. Additionally, things happen for a reason, so maybe that reason is it's about time Larry started his own band. That way, it's people you choose, with a vibe & schedule you want, all on your terms. Yes, I know that's a bit of work, but no more than you've already invested, only to be crapped on. Go on Larry, you know you want to do it! If you do, make me super jealous & include a pumpin' brass section too. Now that would get the chicks off their nests!

Walk with a clear head. Put it behind you.

You like blues more anyway. Make that something bigger and nicer. KIS is right...How about your own band? Don't tell me you haven't thought about it.

Larry, get in a ska band. The happy music will make you forget your trouble and women are surely to be found on the dance floor. :)

My wife loves the song "Summer of 69" and nicely asked the band to do it. So after he said all those disrespectful things to her he says "oh and by the way, unless Larry or John can sing "Summer of 69" we won't be doing that song. JT can't sing that high, but you're too dumb to understand that, Duh."

He is a dick and does not deserve to be in a band with humans. Eff him and the horse he rode in on. He should be fired instantly from that band, and have "DICK" carved in his forehead by inglorious bastards!..OK..I'm better now.
Sorry but he crossed the line that cannot be crossed.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he's explaining to the rest of his band why they no longer have a drummer. LOL!!

How about joining/starting a boogie band. Boogie has it all imo. The lovelyness of blues, but delivered in a "girls, hit the dance floor" package. It's got you written all over it Larry.

I like that idea, Andy. Best of both worlds.

Boogie and RnB and rock'n'roll. Larry, since Charlie's playing jazz now and not too many seem to be filling that niche (apart from tribute bands) ... well, it's dirty work but someone's gotta do it! It'd probably have broader appeal if it's not too purist - piano and organ rather than harp.

If you can't find a group like this, as the guys have said, maybe you can rustle up some of the players you've met in your travels and start up the Transylvanian Boogie Band? :)

Back