My yamaha stage custom

Thecowslayer

Hey everyone, here's a few pictures of my new Yamaha Stage Custom drum set. It's definitely a big step up, going from my old kit, which had a crash, hi hat, floor tom, snare, bass drum, and ride, to something with this many cymbals and toms. I need to tune the toms, but so far, it's a pretty awesome set, though I haven't had much time to play it.
DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

Nice Yammie, I think the blue sparkle is a good color, offsets the yellow/orange of cymbals really nicely. Almost a sky blue, but with sparkles! Never actually tried any Yamaha drums--their hardware is great though. What do you think of the kit overall? New or used? Any big plans for the future of the kit ie. replace heads, cymbals or the like?

I almost bought a SC a while back off Craigslist for like $600. Didn't end up getting it, though.

Cheers, and enjoy your new kit!

Hey congrats man! Stage Customs are awesome drums.

Enjoy them and take care of them. Cheers!

Nice Yammie, I think the blue sparkle is a good color, offsets the yellow/orange of cymbals really nicely. Almost a sky blue, but with sparkles! Never actually tried any Yamaha drums--their hardware is great though. What do you think of the kit overall? New or used? Any big plans for the future of the kit ie. replace heads, cymbals or the like?

I almost bought a SC a while back off Craigslist for like $600. Didn't end up getting it, though.

Cheers, and enjoy your new kit!
It's a pretty awesome kit so far, though I definitely want to tune the toms and replace the heads on them. I bought it used off of craigslist for 500 dollars, which I think was a real good deal, considering it came with an insane amount of hardware and a lot of cymbals. First I think I'm going to replace the heads, but after that, I'm definitely going to start looking for cymbals, though right now I'm more focused on learning how to play with the kit, it's a big jump from what I'm used to.

If you wanna see a video of me playing the kit, my drum teacher filmed me playing it a bit today. She came over and helped me set it up, so the video was pretty much my first time playing it with this setup, and as you can probably tell if you watch the video, I'm pretty nervous in the video. Ironically, I tend to get more nervous performing in front of less people than in front of large groups of people. Also, my playing isn't that good, but you can at least hear the drums, though I don't like the sound of the toms too much right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enmblvlORow&feature=player_embedded

How long have you been playing? Really good intro: steady rock beat. You got nice groove as well. Something I should probably work on--as opposed to my chops.
What kind of kit did you learn on? And from what I can see, even with YouTube quality, the drums aren't horribly tuned. The bass does sound good. Is the laptop for playing along with music? Or do you record and mix?

How long have you been playing? Really good intro: steady rock beat. You got nice groove as well. Something I should probably work on--as opposed to my chops.
What kind of kit did you learn on? And from what I can see, even with YouTube quality, the drums aren't horribly tuned. The bass does sound good. Is the laptop for playing along with music? Or do you record and mix?
Ah, thanks a lot, I've been playing for around 2 years now. I definitely need to work on my chops though, they're probably what I'm lacking the most right now. I first started learning on one of those kids drum sets if you can imagine, the ones you can get from a toy store for not that much money. Not the easiest thing to do when you're tall, but that only lasted for about a month or 2, then I got a cheap pacific kit off of craigslist, and I've had that up until I got this kit. I didn't even realize my laptop was in the video, I use it more for playing along with music, but I will record myself sometimes as well, it definitely helps me know where I need to improve, though I don't record myself as much as I should.

Congrats on your new stuff. You're lucky you can still have a new one albeit it's been gone from the market since 2009. Stage Custom is one of the best economic kits I've ever seen. I enjoyed it a lot in 2004-2008, now I think I miss it.

Congrats! I had the exact same kit not too long ago in a dark cherry finish...really enjoyed playing them. For the price they sound great and can be very versatile.

Enjoy playing them!

Nice drum set, good luck. Yamaha are great drums. I just bought a new yamaha birch stage custom, 5 pc. I was looking for a yamaha Bebop kit. The Bebop kit comes as a 3pc only. It has a 18 inch bass drum, 12x8 rack tom and a 14x14 floor tom. The shell pack costs 550. So I bought the birch stage custom, 5x14 snare, 12x8 rack tom, 10x8 rack tom, 14x14 floor tom and a 20x17 bass drum at the same price of 550. You get more for you money and I will only play it as a 4pc. Anyway have fun with your kit.

Last edited:
Congrates on the Yamahas!! I have the Recording Custom model from Yamaha that has the same tom mount configuration of the bass drum as yours does. The Royal blue is a great color and your right you do need some tuning there hahahaha!!!
Ok heres a tip on tuning and it is the old way to tune a drum first, then you make small adjustments after. OK???
Take your first tom off the mount, hold it up pretty close to your ear and knock on the middle part of the drum shell. Knock a few times slowly and get that tone in your ear, take your drum key and get working on getting that same tone from the knock coming out of your shell. It will take some time you need to get both heads tunes the same and reproduce the shell knocking sound. This is the correct way to tune a drum shell, your reproducing the sound of the shell through the heads. Take your time from the sound of your toms on your video you probably need to detune a little then start. Do this with each drum when you get to the floor tom if you have no one to help you (hold the drum freely) you can put it on a table but the right way is to have freely suspended. Now when you get to the bass drum your gonna get the batter head down to were you have good action remaining on your beater for it to have good "come back"! For the front head (reso) get someone to sit behind the kit and step on the pedal with a consistent strike with atleast 3 to 4 seconds inbetween hits. Get your front head fairly tight and starting from your top left rod (tention rod) as soon as the strike hits lower the tension and listen to the note drop in tone. You will need to lower most of them but theres ALWAYS a SWEET spot on every bass drum (thats one or two lugs that make a huge difference in tone) those two are your main tone controls. Their all most always the bottom left one or two up depending if its an 8 or 10 lug kick. The other control lug is usually the rightside (facing the drum tuning) half way up. I find that my top lugs are fairly tight and they loosen as I go down sorta like getting more bottom from the bottom of the drum, get it? This way of tuning comes in handy when drummers get a loud snare drum snare reverberation when hitting the rack toms. Either the snare isn't set up correctly or the toms aren't tuned right. Try this Chris and see if you get results, I've been using this method for 50 years now and if I listened to the teachers I had back then I'd be a great drummer instead of a great tuner hahahaha!!!! Good luck son! Doc

Congrates on the Yamahas!! I have the Recording Custom model from Yamaha that has the same tom mount configuration of the bass drum as yours does. The Royal blue is a great color and your right you do need some tuning there hahahaha!!!
Ok heres a tip on tuning and it is the old way to tune a drum first, then you make small adjustments after. OK???
Take your first tom off the mount, hold it up pretty close to your ear and knock on the middle part of the drum shell. Knock a few times slowly and get that tone in your ear, take your drum key and get working on getting that same tone from the knock coming out of your shell. It will take some time you need to get both heads tunes the same and reproduce the shell knocking sound. This is the correct way to tune a drum shell, your reproducing the sound of the shell through the heads. Take your time from the sound of your toms on your video you probably need to detune a little then start. Do this with each drum when you get to the floor tom if you have no one to help you (hold the drum freely) you can put it on a table but the right way is to have freely suspended. Now when you get to the bass drum your gonna get the batter head down to were you have good action remaining on your beater for it to have good "come back"! For the front head (reso) get someone to sit behind the kit and step on the pedal with a consistent strike with atleast 3 to 4 seconds inbetween hits. Get your front head fairly tight and starting from your top left rod (tention rod) as soon as the strike hits lower the tension and listen to the note drop in tone. You will need to lower most of them but theres ALWAYS a SWEET spot on every bass drum (thats one or two lugs that make a huge difference in tone) those two are your main tone controls. Their all most always the bottom left one or two up depending if its an 8 or 10 lug kick. The other control lug is usually the rightside (facing the drum tuning) half way up. I find that my top lugs are fairly tight and they loosen as I go down sorta like getting more bottom from the bottom of the drum, get it? This way of tuning comes in handy when drummers get a loud snare drum snare reverberation when hitting the rack toms. Either the snare isn't set up correctly or the toms aren't tuned right. Try this Chris and see if you get results, I've been using this method for 50 years now and if I listened to the teachers I had back then I'd be a great drummer instead of a great tuner hahahaha!!!! Good luck son! Doc
Thanks a lot for the help, I'm definitely going to try to tune them soon, but my one question is, do you think that I should buy new heads for the drums, or just keep the ones it has right now?

Thanks a lot for the help, I'm definitely going to try to tune them soon, but my one question is, do you think that I should buy new heads for the drums, or just keep the ones it has right now?

Get new ones, top and bottom. The ones you have on there are the stock heads, and they will dent up and lose tone immediately, if they haven't already.

I run coated Evans G2s over clear G1s on my Stage Customs, same generation as yours. I recommend tuning them up a few turns past wrinkling to get a big, full, fat note out of them. EC2s also work well if you want a little shorter sustain.

Awesome kit! Love the color! Nice playing too! Definately change those stock heads out! You'll be amazed at how much better it'll sound.
Enjoy!

Yeah, like the others said. Changing the heads will make an amazing difference. I just mounted Evans G2 coated heads on all of my toms and it made a HUGE difference. I was especially having problems with my 14" tom with the original heads. No matter what I did, I could just not get it to sound good. The new heads made all the difference.
Congrats on your new setup!

Back