club date se

Wonder if the Ludwig guys could answer a question I have.
Are Element Se and Club Date kits both cherry/gum hybrid shells of the same thickness and identical bearing edges?
Thanks
tracer

Element SE is 5ply 7mm cherry/gum
Club Date SE is 6 ply cherry/gum

I suspect the difference is subtle, but they are not the exact same shells.

I believe that the edges on the Element kit are sharp and not full round over like the Club Date.

Just did a search and I see them on numerous sites.
They still appear on the Ludwig site.

Last edited:
Are the Club Dates discontinued? I can't seem to find them anywhere but EBAY.

Dennis

I don't think so, I bought one off the shelf just this past November. A Ludwig dealer can probably order one for you if they don't have in stock. But they probably won't be around forever so best not to wait too long. I'm glad I have almost all the sizes except for the 18" bass and 14x6.5" snare.

As for where I would place them, I agree with Bob that they're upper intermediate but not everyone will agree due to the minimal/simplistic hardware on the kit like spurs, hoops, etc. It doesn't have the sturdiness and features of a Renown for instance and if I were to go on a tour I would probably bring that kit instead. But I don't tour so I use my CD almost always.

I Love this kit.Thought about going vintage but no regrets at all.......

+1 for me.
I also got the snare drum in my purchase, which was used but virtually brand new.

This has got to be the lightest set of drums... The bass drum almost feels like nothing to pick up in the soft case I bought, an Ahead Armour 20'x14' bag. I found the drum will easily fit into the case if you fold the spurs against the drum and I haven't had any damage to the shell resulting. But I travel carefully and make sure the case doesn't bang against anything else, fitting in easily into the back seat of my sedan along with the floor and mounted toms as well. Snare sits on the passenger seat.
But I dislike the tom mount, which as Bob has pointed out is inadequate, and plan on replacing that soon. I can't angle the tom as desired with Ludwig's stock hardware.

The set projects very well and records clearly as well. Love the floor tom's ability to tune to a deep, round sounding punch-- currently have a Remo Vintage Coated Emperor on batter, Evans Strata 1000 on rezo (thanks to a Bermuda post mentioning this head).

Last edited:
But I dislike the tom mount, which as Bob has pointed out is inadequate, and plan on replacing that soon. I can't angle the tom as desired with Ludwig's stock hardware.

The rail has its limits as to how high you can place the tom but I have no problem getting the tom in a comfortable spot so I don't mind it. It has infinitely more left/right/front/back adjustability than a down post.

In the words of President, Obama;
"If you like the CD rail mount, you will be able to keep the CD rail mount" :) :) :)
He didn't really say that but he would have.

These things can't be discontinued. I don't have mine yet!

Don't worry, They will always be around either new or used.

Well I'm sure they'll still be available in month. But I'm really digging' that blue oyster on the cavern club kit. I want that as a Downbeat configuration in that oyster finish. It'll be a nice contrast to my blue/olive oyster on the cm's.

Well I'm sure they'll still be available in month. But I'm really digging' that blue oyster on the cavern club kit. I want that as a Downbeat configuration in that oyster finish. It'll be a nice contrast to my blue/olive oyster on the cm's.

Thats the finish i went with. No Issue with tom mount.As for the legs I Take them out and slip them in hardware bag..Kit is LIGHT,I Have the smaller 20" bass Sometimes on a not real great riser theres some movement,not bass drum creeping ,but some rocking.Things sing,great little kit.........

So Bo, you were at NAMM and you talked to Jon and the Ludwig gang. Are they being discontinued?
I agree with drumdevil9 that some different finish offerings would bring more sales to the series.

So Bo, you were at NAMM and you talked to Jon and the Ludwig gang. Are they being discontinued?
I agree with drumdevil9 that some different finish offerings would bring more sales to the series.

I never brought it up, but there were no Club Dates on display this year. The big push was on those mahogany drums.

I never brought it up, but there were no Club Dates on display this year. The big push was on those mahogany drums.
Ahhh, I see, it's all mahogany these days :)
I'm not a big fan of mahogany as an inner or outer ply. I don't mind a bit of mahogany in the middle though. :)

I narrowly missed a Craigslist score on a 13/16/22 for $300.

I got a Mapex Armory so I put my 13/16/22 with a "Brick" snare for 450 on CL...glad now they didn't sell..I don't really play them, but I just can't part with that kick! Plus, they make a nice conversation piece in my living room.

Back