I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

Mart61

Silver Member
I'm back in Istanbul and my Stage Customs are calling to me! Is that wrong?

OK so I have my RealFeel and a pair of 5As with me but I wanna go home and play.

How about you guys? Do you get twitchy when away from your kits or is there times when you're glad to see the back of them for a while?

Oh yeah I start jones-ing bad when away from the kit. I've played about everyday the last twenty years (course you can't really tell but I digress) and this past Winter I quit public performing because my hearing has taken such a huge loss. I decided that likely my daily playing has contributed to this new hearing loss-I've ear troubles for decades, but I've always managed. So I decided to quit drumming altogether-even started to sell my kits, but I couldn't last three months before I had to get back on-with just brushes at first but now I'm back to sticks. I have a difficult time hearing what I'm playing to and my playing but I really don't care I love it. Hearing aids help but they aren't like glasses that get you back to 20/20 they are just an "aid" which isn't high fidelity to sound created too. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'm hearing-I've corrected my kids for cursing when they hadn't. I try to keep the sound down to protect what hearing I have, but I don't think I will try to quit again-not without either anti-drumming gum or CHANTIX LOL.

Oh yeah I start jones-ing bad when away from the kit. I've played about everyday the last twenty years (course you can't really tell but I digress) and this past Winter I quit public performing because my hearing has taken such a huge loss. I decided that likely my daily playing has contributed to this new hearing loss-I've ear troubles for decades, but I've always managed. So I decided to quit drumming altogether-even started to sell my kits, but I couldn't last three months before I had to get back on-with just brushes at first but now I'm back to sticks. I have a difficult time hearing what I'm playing to and my playing but I really don't care I love it. Hearing aids help but they aren't like glasses that get you back to 20/20 they are just an "aid" which isn't high fidelity to sound created too. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'm hearing-I've corrected my kids for cursing when they hadn't. I try to keep the sound down to protect what hearing I have, but I don't think I will try to quit again-not without either anti-drumming gum or CHANTIX LOL.

I read your post and find my circumstances similar and it really is a personal risk-benefit kind of decision. However, I'd like to point out that hearing loss is not just a function of environment but can be (might be) related purely to the aging process. I've known many adults who weren't drummers, rifle instructors or jet jockeys etc. and yet have ever worsening hearing problems. Suffering drummer's withdrawal might make you feel proactive but not aid your hearing one bit. Instead I've chosen to keep doing what I love but always, always, always, wearing ear protection. Then, if that doesn't work my plan B says "go electric" and just turn the volume down. :)

Just a week of vacation at my sons and I get itchy. Do you travel a lot and that is why you are back in Istanbul??

Just a week of vacation at my sons and I get itchy. Do you travel a lot and that is why you are back in Istanbul??

Indeed I do travel a fair bit. My job is delivering aircraft (or rather taking them from one airline at end of lease and delivering them to the next at the beginning of a new lease).

I read your post and find my circumstances similar and it really is a personal risk-benefit kind of decision. However, I'd like to point out that hearing loss is not just a function of environment but can be (might be) related purely to the aging process. I've known many adults who weren't drummers, rifle instructors or jet jockeys etc. and yet have ever worsening hearing problems. Suffering drummer's withdrawal might make you feel proactive but not aid your hearing one bit. Instead I've chosen to keep doing what I love but always, always, always, wearing ear protection. Then, if that doesn't work my plan B says "go electric" and just turn the volume down. :)

My thoughts exactly. I hope GetAgrippa is wearing hearing protection to preserve what he has left. I've had tinnitus since I was a teenager, and once I noticed that drumming was causing it to get progressively worse, I went to an audiologist and had custom ear plugs made. Those have made a tremendous difference. Now all I notice is the natural declination in hearing brought on by aging, as you noted. Please, GetAgrippa, take much more care of the hearing you have left. Deafness is very serious. Imagine the longing to play drums if you cannot even hear them!

GeeDeeEmm

Back