I cheated on Sabian with Paiste Twenty!!!

TenPastTen

Silver Member
Just like the title says, I have 10 Sabian cymbals that I love, but I am having a torrid affair with Paiste Twenty series. I have the 13 Hats, 18 Crash, and 20 Ride and they sound amazing together. I am awaiting a 10 Splash, 18 Thin Crash, and 18 Thin China to arrive in the next 3 weeks to round out my set.

First, they look incredible. They are brilliant finish, but with the lathing pattern, they have a slight two-tone look to them. The hammering is just mesmerizing when it catches the light. My pics have crappy lighting so it's difficult to see how gorgeous they are. I'll do better when I can get some outdoor pics.

Second, but most importantly, they sound even better than they look. The 13 hats are very versatile between a nice dark closed stick sound and a bright open sound. Very surprizing.
The ride is smooth on the stick and has a raw, unlathed bell that is quite separate. The wash is controllable yet distinct. The ride's dark tone is at its best when spanked with the shoulder of the Vater Manhattan 7As.
The 18 crash is my favorite so far. It projects easily yet retains clarity throughout the sustain. And speaking of sustain, this cymbal carries on longer than Will Ferrell's death in Austin Powers and the Spy Who Shagged Me. The only time I've used this word to describe a sound: it's thick. Not the metal of the cymbal (which is medium btw) but the crash sound is thick. Thick and beautiful like a NY Strip Steak.

Overall, I am in love with these cymbals - their sound and their looks. If there is a negative, it is that they don't seem to mix well with any of my Sabian HHXs or AAXs, but do sound nice with the AA el Sabor. This is hardly an indictment since they sound so cohesive together and I plan on playing them together.

Give these a try if you're in the market for a primarily dark cymbal that has very pleasant bright tones that creep through with the deft of a Ridley Scott thriller.

Attachments

• PICT0988.JPG
    PICT0988.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 874
  • PICT0981.JPG
    PICT0981.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 866
  • PICT0982.JPG
    PICT0982.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 891
  • PICT0985.JPG
    PICT0985.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 845
  • PICT0986.JPG
    PICT0986.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 860
  • PICT0989.JPG
    PICT0989.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 882
  • PICT0990.JPG
    PICT0990.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 891
  • PICT0992.JPG
    PICT0992.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 881
Last edited:
Man, those are beautiful. I don't blame you for getting involved in this sordid affair. I suggest you sit your Sabians down and have yourselves a little chat about open relationships and the freedom to see others. Most cymbals are very open-minded these days. Who knows, your Sabians might even suggest a fourteensome.

Totally agree with the guy above me.
Been thinking about the 12" hi-hats and a ride from the series.
Why did u choose the 20" ride rather than the 21" or the 22"?

Man, those are beautiful. I don't blame you for getting involved in this sordid affair. I suggest you sit your Sabians down and have yourselves a little chat about open relationships and the freedom to see others. Most cymbals are very open-minded these days. Who knows, your Sabians might even suggest a fourteensome.

ROFLOL ROFLOL..................Thats great man.............

The set I initially learned on had a set of paiste 602's from the early 70's, awesome sounding and I am hoping to snag a few off e-bay for my practice set..........but don't tell my Zildjians, I'm not ready for them to find out yet.

Gotta love those twenty's. I'm pretty sure the next cymbal on my list is a 17" or 18" crash from the twenty's. Congrats on the purchase, and there's no problem with mixing brands.

Paistes are home wreckers.
I've known more cymbals put out by them than any other,
My poor Zildjians were vintage and even they didn't last.
Relationships.
Nothing but trouble.

Well, I spoke to my Sabians and this is how it went down: the confrontation between me and my Sabians (who chose the HHX 14 Stage Hats as their representative).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Me
"Hey guys, we need to talk about something. First I want you to know that I love y'all and that will never change. You were my first love and that is a connection that can never be severed. You can't take that away."

HHX: (to the other Sabians) "I told you guys! This is what I warned you aboot. There's someone else! I knew something was up when he took the AAX hats and the 16 AA crash to the post!"

Me: "Hey wait. What makes you think there's someone else? Maybe I just want a break from any cymbals? And by the way, we say post office here in America, not 'post.'"

HHX: (indignantly) "Don't. Make. Me. Slap. You. I know you. I know what you're all aboot. You couldn't lay off the bronze if someone payed you a million loonies. What are going to do, eh? Turn guitar on us? I don't think you got the chops. You can't deny your addiction. The way you touch us when you walk by, the way you look at us, the way you play us. You and I were laying some pretty greasy grooves just this Saturday night, eh!"

Me: "Ok, ok, ok. There is someone else. You're right about the AAX hats and the crash. They found a new home up in Virginia. But I think things will work out for them. And I'm sorry. I was wrong to get defensive about just wanting a break. I cannot lay off the bronze, no matter how many dollars are thrown my way. I am a drum American and I could never go guitar. Not that there's anything wrong with that."

HHX: (impatiently) "So who is it, eh? Quit rolling around the snare." (to the Sabians) "It's probably some exotic and dark Turkish beauty. With a lot of work done if you know what I mean?" (the other Sabians snicker)

Me: "You really want to know? Do you?!"

HHX: "Yes. I think I deserve that."

Me: "Their name is Paiste Twenty and you're right. They were born in Turkey, and did have work done in Switzerland. And they are beautiful."

HHX: "Oh. Well. Ok. Why didn't you say so? We can't blame you."

Me (shocked): "Really? You're not mad anymore?"

HHX: "The only way we'll be mad is if you don't let us watch! Eh? Eh?" (the other Sabians nod vigorously with anticipation).

----------------------------------------------------------------​

So it ended happily ever after. After a 1/5th of Crown Royal for me and a case of Labatt's for the Sabians, that is.

Last edited:
ROFL, TPT you certainly have a vivid writing style/imagination that is very entertaining! Thank you for allow us in on that private conversation, and its good to have an open relationship in this particular circumstance! Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS!

Well, I spoke to my Sabians and this is how it went down: the confrontation between me and my Sabians (who chose the HHX 14 Stage Hats as their representative).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Me
"Hey guys, we need to talk about something. First I want you to know that I love y'all and that will never change. You were my first love and that is a connection that can never be severed. You can't take that away."

HHX: (to the other Sabians) "I told you guys! This is what I warned you aboot. There's someone else! I knew something was up when he took the AAX hats and the 16 AA crash to the post!"

Me: "Hey wait. What makes you think there's someone else? Maybe I just want a break from any cymbals? And by the way, we say post office here in America, not 'post.'"

HHX: (indignantly) "Don't. Make. Me. Slap. You. I know you. I know what you're all aboot. You couldn't lay off the bronze if someone payed you a million loonies. What are going to do, eh? Turn guitar on us? I don't think you got the chops. You can't deny your addiction. The way you touch us when you walk by, the way you look at us, the way you play us. You and I were laying some pretty greasy grooves just this Saturday night, eh!"

Me: "Ok, ok, ok. There is someone else. You're right about the AAX hats and the crash. They found a new home up in Virginia. But I think things will work out for them. And I'm sorry. I was wrong to get defensive about just wanting a break. I cannot lay off the bronze, no matter how many dollars are thrown my way. I am a drum American and I could never go guitar. Not that there's anything wrong with that."

HHX: (impatiently) "So who is it, eh? Quit rolling around the snare." (to the Sabians) "It's probably some exotic and dark Turkish beauty. With a lot of work done if you know what I mean?" (the other Sabians snicker)

Me: "You really want to know? Do you?!"

HHX: "Yes. I think I deserve that."

Me: "Their name is Paiste Twenty and you're right. They were born is Turkey, and did have work done in Switzerland. And they are beautiful."

HHX: "Oh. Well. Ok. Why didn't you say so? We can't blame you."

Me (shocked): "Really? You're not mad anymore?"

HHX: "The only way we'll be mad is if you don't let us watch! Eh? Eh?" (the other Sabians nod vigorously with anticipation).

----------------------------------------------------------------​

So it ended happily ever after. After a 1/5th of Crown Royal for me and a case of Labatt's for the Sabians, that is.

Very cool! I always think Paiste hammering marks look amazing. From the simple 2002 to more elaborate Dark Energy seeing the marks shine in the light reminds me of the good work that has been put into making them!

The 13" hats sound right up my street I have got to say. Dark closed sound with a bright open wash it annoyingly perfect sounding for a 2nd set of hats. I'll have to check them out and save up some cash then!

Slut!

Just wait until those mysterious strangers from Turkey start knocking on the door.

Yeah. I was wondering when you would have another affair with Turkish cymbals. I have heard this is not the first time.

Wow,

The whole, "Can I watch thing really made me laugh! Incredible!!!!

Glad you found some cymbals you like that are different!

Mike

Hehe, sabians are canadian... lol. I really want to buy some twentys!!!!

Yeah. I was wondering when you would have another affair with Turkish cymbals. I have heard this is not the first time.

Johnny,

Ever so intrepid! You are dead right. Those tabloid pics will be revealed when the tubs are caught outdoors in a hot little four-piece number. Stay tuned...

Hehe, sabians are canadian... lol.

youenjoy,

I'm glad that subtlety was not lost on you. I rather did "enjoy myself." Hardy har.

Thanks for reviews and pics man. I've had my eyes on Twenty's for a long time.

And I'm a die hard SABIAN guy, owning all kinds of AAX, HH, and HHX cymbals.

I might have similar conversations with my cymbals too. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did u choose the 20" ride rather than the 21" or the 22"?

I found the 20 had just the right versatile sound for me. The 21 was nice, but I like the tone (slightly higher pitch) from the 20 better. The 22 had just a bit too much wash when riding the bow. So I chose the 20 and love it.

Back