Dave Weckl - Island Magic - Drum Playalong

Jaakkima

Hi all,

I finally managed to squeeze in the time to actually learn this tune and record it. I bought the Weckl playalong package over two years ago and at the time wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to "nail" this particular tune. However, a suitable opportunity to learn it presented itself as I recently quit my job to take some off of what's been a short but exhausting career (completely outside drums and music). It was the right thing to do as I've finally been able to focus on my drumming and satisfy some of that burning hunger to improve as a player and a musician - in addition to handling my various band-related duties better than before, I've also found enough time to work on my chops and various solo drumming projects such as this.

This was also a huge learning experience in terms of producing drumming videos. I learned a lot about Logic Pro X and iMovie (phew, I'm still not too good with it) when putting the multiple camera angles and everything together. A quick note on the audio track: I ended up recording the whole thing with a Zoom Q3 handy recorder instead of doing a multichannel recording with several mics. Not sure if it was the right decision but as of now, I feel quite satisfied with how it turned out.

As for the tune and drumming, all I can say that it shouldn't be taken too seriously! I hope that some of that attitude can be heard in my playing too. I mean sure, I totally put in the hours to get this down but at the end of the day, the tune sounds like it's taken from an 8-bit Nintendo game soundtrack and the one and only Chick Corea is responsible for the keyboard solo - maybe that's why I actually like it so much =D

Anyway, I guess that's enough ranting so here's the Youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUNfvgn_070

Please let me know what you think. I'm a long-time lurker on these forums and even though I haven't been posting much, I value the community's feedback highly.

As a sidenote, I'm also looking to contribute to the forum more actively in the future as I wouldn't be the drummer I am today without this forum - this was a very important source of inspiration and information when I was only in the beginning steps of my drumming journey (way back in 2005).

Cheers!

Well, I think you did one hell of a job on that. The time taken to nail the parts must be immense - certainly something I would have neither the time nor the discipline to achieve. Great job all round -really! :)

Well, I think you did one hell of a job on that. The time taken to nail the parts must be immense - certainly something I would have neither the time nor the discipline to achieve. Great job all round -really! :)

Thanks for the kind words! It did take a lot of time and perhaps discipline too but I tried to enjoy the journey and every sign of improvement I noticed along the way without rushing to the "goal". I've found this approach quite useful whenever I've needed to learn a particularly challenging piece of music. Ofcourse, sometimes there's an actual deadline like an upcoming show but I like to take my time and enjoy the ride with these solo projects.

Back