Maleven

Hi everyone,

Got some replacement Puresounds from my Anton Fig snare a couple of months back, and clumsy oaf that I am, I've never been able to mount them to the extent that they're not excessively loose and flappy sounding, that despite paying great attention to ensuring I've mounted them centrally and straight with each attempt. I don't know what the issue is, whether it's getting something wrong the straps with the pin, which I'd not used before this set of snares, or whether it could even be that one of the screws on the butt plate is a bitch to tighten. Images included in case anything about the use of pins, the mounting location etc. strikes anyone as a potential cause:

Strap at the throw-off side:

p6Xudoy.jpg

Strap at the butt plate side:

LfsBVTg.jpg

Strap with pin through the snares, throw-off side:

nBfPZiO.jpg

Strap with pin through the snares, butt plate side:

DUQgJFK.jpg

Typical mounting location of the snares:

8AaiPD7.jpg

Any ideas or similar experiences with these snares/straps, the particular drum/strainer etc., or in general?

Thanks

Working with your snare upside down, loosen your throwoff knob almost all the way but keep the lever in the on position. Place the wires on the head where you want them, then lock down the strips in the butt plate and throwoff. Flip the snare over, disengage the throwoff lever and use the knob to raise the snare wires up a bit. This will allow you to have the tension you desire on the wires and they wont be loose or floppy once you reengage the throwoff.

Working with your snare upside down, loosen your throwoff knob almost all the way but keep the lever in the on position. Place the wires on the head where you want them, then lock down the strips in the butt plate and throwoff. Flip the snare over, disengage the throwoff lever and use the knob to raise the snare wires up a bit. This will allow you to have the tension you desire on the wires and they wont be loose or floppy once you reengage the throwoff.

Yea that's what I do, but even doing that and loosing the knob way off to allow plenty of leeway to tighten it, the snares were still slack.

Yea that's what I do, but even doing that and loosing the knob way off to allow plenty of leeway to tighten it, the snares were still slack.

Shouldn't be as long as you keep the throwoff engaged. If you need more leeway, you can also disengage the throwoff, but I find that sometimes this puts too much tension on the wires and chokes them, or possibly even stretches and breaks them.

Another route you could go is tighten the knob all the way with the throwoff disengaged, then attach your wires. The throwoff wont want to engage all the way again, so you then back the knob off until you get the wires where you want them and the throwoff engages.

Excellent advice!

Peace and goodwill.

Back