The_Endless_Obsession

Hey guys, first post so I'll introduce myself by posting pictures of my kit!

Specs:
Mapex Saturn (5.1mm, 4 ply maple exterior, 2 ply walnut interior) 'Studioease' configuration (22x18", 10x8", 12x9", 14x14", 16x16")
Transparent Cherry Red w/ Black nickel plated hardware

12x5.5" Mapex Black Panther Chris Adler Signature Snare (5.1mm, walnut) with Puresound Blaster snare wires

All stock heads on toms and bass, and an Evans EQ pad and Remo Falam Slam Pad on the bass.

Cymbals - All Sabian unless noted otherwise (Left to right):
12" Meinl Soundcaster Custom Distortion Splash
14" AAX Stage Hats
8" Meinl Classics High Bell
14" AAX Dark Crash (Natural finish)
8" AA Splash
14" AAXplosion crash
16" Vault Crash
8" AAX Splash
17" HHXplosion Crash
20" Zildjian unmarked Ride
18" AAX China
15" AAXtreme China

Various boom stands (gibraltar, mapex, ludwig, yamaha)
Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide Double Pedal

After all of the pictures, there is a link to a song by my old band, a cover of the classic Tweeter and The Monkey Man, played and recorded by myself at my house on these Saturns. The snare used for this recording was a 12x5" maple Pork Pie Little Squealer, not the Adler snare.

Attachments

• MapexSaturnTCR1.jpg
    MapexSaturnTCR1.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 739
  • MapexSaturnTCR2.jpg
    MapexSaturnTCR2.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 742
  • MapexSaturnTCR3.jpg
    MapexSaturnTCR3.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 738
  • MapexSaturnTCR4.jpg
    MapexSaturnTCR4.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 744
  • MapexSaturnTCR5.jpg
    MapexSaturnTCR5.jpg
    679.8 KB · Views: 728
  • Tweeter and The Monkey Man 5.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! You made my day with that song. I'm just waking up but I've already got a big smile on my face :-D. Great drumming. Unbelievable that you've recorded that at your own house. How long have you been playing btw?
Your kit looks awsome too. Nice to see your diversity in cymbalbrands. What's the color of your kit? It looks like some sort of purple on some pictures, but I can't really make out the color.

Great kit, and lovely cymbal choice! Interesting snare angle though... isn't it hard for you to play rimshots with the snare angled like that?

welcome to the forum!!!

thats a really nice kit , love the cymbals .

I was wondering if you have used your rac toms to the left of your bass drum , I think that in your case it migth be very beneficial ,this set up gives you a nice space over the bass drum were you can put your a ride in a more confortable way, try it !

Great kit! I have heard alot of good things about Mapex Saturns. I have owned an M Birch kit in the past and that kit sounded great! I can only imagine that the Saturns would be awesome sounding. I have played that Adler snare drum at Interstate music here in SE WI.
That drum is a freak of nature ! Love it!!
Can you describe the sound of those Saturns for me?

Love your set up, although that snare angle and placement looks a little un orthodox..

But hey brother, if it's comfy for YOU than that is all that matters!

Welcome to the boards ;)

loving it, nice setup and plenty good kit there.. but as with others i'll ask... whats with the snare angle? :D

id have thought at that kind of angle you'll wear out the head a lot quicker, and be less able to do ghost notes. But if its working for you, then ace.. it all looks great.

Hey its a Chris Adler signature snare, hes allowed to have it at that angle....I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Damn nice looking kit mate....looks like a blast to play on!!!! I love your cymbal selection and placement aswell.

Definitely looks like a Chris Adler-inspired setup. Cool kit, but I could never play the snare at anywhere near such an angle.

Hey thanks for all the kind words! Ive been playing for 10 years now btw

I must be weird, but at school (I attend Grant MacEwan University as a Music Major) and everytime I play a more level snare set-up I always feel like my left arm is 'out of place'. I dunno, it just feels unnatural to me! Believe it or not, but to play (and rimshot) at this angle feels natural to me! I dont rimshot very often though.

frank0072: the colour is Tranparent Cherry Red. Its a very dark, rich red, so in alot of light it looks almost black, but in the right light it's almost like wine red. I'll upload a picture with the flash, then you can see the actual colour of the kit.

pearlygates: The saturn sound is amazing! once i had them tuned up, I dont think i would be satisfied with a standard birch or maple kit! The sound is crisp and clean, but the walnut gives such a smooth low-end to the sound. I havent played one, but id imagine it would be similar to a mahogany kit.

I attend Grant MacEwan University as a Music Major.

Neat!! I took some lessons there when I was 4 years old. How are you finding it so far?

Always great to have another drummer from Edmonton here. or at least Edmonton and area. so far i think the total is four; 2 from Sherwood Park (including me), and then you and one other guy from Edmonton. we should organize a jam sometime with the 4 of us. It'd be cool to see all our different styles. lol

oh, and nice kit by the way!! Love the cymbal selection, absolutely stunning.

-Jonathan

Neat!! I took some lessons there when I was 4 years old. How are you finding it so far?

Always great to have another drummer from Edmonton here. or at least Edmonton and area. so far i think the total is four; 2 from Sherwood Park (including me), and then you and one other guy from Edmonton. we should organize a jam sometime with the 4 of us. It'd be cool to see all our different styles. lol

oh, and nice kit by the way!! Love the cymbal selection, absolutely stunning.

-Jonathan
Im enjoying it, alot of work, but it's helping my playing alot!

Im actually from Calgary, but im here for the school. Four drummers all jamming together, sounds like a lot of low-attention spans and tapping! hahaha but yeah, it'd be cool to collaborate! what kind of style to do play?

Thanks man!

Great cymbal set up, looks comfy. Snare angle is the same as when I first started playing 'cause I used to think hitting the rim was bad for my sticks! Not rubbishing angle in any way I'm sure it suits your style, but Remo prints upside down would drive me nuts, gotta have the crown at the top.

Not rubbishing angle in any way I'm sure it suits your style, but Remo prints upside down would drive me nuts, gotta have the crown at the top.
Those are "Mapex by Remo" heads with Mapex logo at the top and Remo logo at the bottom, so they are in fact right side up.

Great cymbal set up, looks comfy. Snare angle is the same as when I first started playing 'cause I used to think hitting the rim was bad for my sticks! Not rubbishing angle in any way I'm sure it suits your style, but Remo prints upside down would drive me nuts, gotta have the crown at the top.
yeah, they have mapex logos at the top, so unfortunatley they ad to put the Remo crowns at the bottom. Im getting new heads pretty soon though so no more bottom crowns! :)

Back