I saw Robben Ford band with Gary Novak last night

Late Bloomer

As the title suggests, I went to see Robben Ford band with Gary Novak last night at a concert in my home town last night. (They are touring Australia atm)What an amazing band? I have been a Robben Ford fan for quite some time and my previous band played a bit of his material. I must say though that Gary Novak is an incredible drummer. I had not really heard much about him before. I was only 20 or 30 feet from the stage, so I was able to get a pretty good look at what he was doing. Firstly, he belts the hell out of the drums. He broke a few sticks and flung them back over his head without really causing a space in his playing. His blast beats around the kit were very fast, hard and clean. He also did some intricate stuff on the snare during fills that I could not work out what he was doing, but sounded great. His timing was flawless. His drumkit sounded awesome as well.
I am now a Gary Novak fan.

Heck Gary Novack is dangerous behind the kit. He is one of the most underated drummers out there. He has a flawless technique with his ghost notes using the left hand.

He's an awesome drummer. I would very much like to see him play with Alan Holdsworth again, instead of Chad wackermann.

Gary is a very under-rated player!
Not sure I've ever seen him play blast beats tho...

I'm sorry for the error, what I really meant was extremely fast and clean single strokes around the kit, although he did lay some kick amongst them sometimes as well. Very impressive player indeed.

Back