My updated kit!

drthemez

Hey, just thought id throw up some new pics, I switched out some cymbals and got a new snare... Mapex Big Cat 8x14, thing sounds amazing!

Attachments

• kit6.JPG
    kit6.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 570
  • kit7.JPG
    kit7.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 566
congrats! that's a really bad ass snare !!!

I was wondering about the sustain of it, comparing it with a shallower snare

The big cat is walnut/ maple, and the snare that came with the kit is 6.5 and walnut/ poplar with birch rings. The most notable difference would be the 8x14 just sounds more full and gives you just a stronger crack IMO. It took me a while to tune it, i tried a bunch of combinations to find what i liked. I ended up tuning it actually pretty high on both heads, which i didnt plan on doing. It still has a lot of low end even with it cranked up pretty high, that may be the walnut though? Either way its a great drum. I dont even have to buy a new snare stand either, i was worried it wouldnt go low enough but its perfect... I am 6'1 tho

I forgot the most important pic... the drivers seat!

Attachments

• kit8.JPG
    kit8.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 494
I wish I was tall enough to attempt the 8" deep snare!

Haha yeah, im 6"1 so i didnt even have to get a real low sitting snare stand. My current stand is as low as it goes though, and i imagine people under 6" would have a hard time setting it up comfortably without resorting to the especially low rise snare stands.

And Chaos_Inferno, i got the snare off ebay from a drum shop in california i believe. It was $250 brand new, shipped. To me it was worth it as Mapex discontinued the snare for their new line.

Back