Drums making too much noise!

A

Abhishek

Hey

Well, recently I've been having a few problems with my neighbors and family, about the noise my drums make. Now, I'm at a stage, where I need to practice regularly, and on my kit, so I am now looking at solutions on how I can reduce the noise, while still practicing effectively. From what I gather, I've got 3 options

1. Get those muting packs, but I am afraid that they might alter the feel I get (rebound) from playing from the heads

2. Get myself an electronic kit, but they might be expensive, and I am not sure how much space they will take. Again, there is the problem that playing off the electronic kit would be different from playing on an actual kit.

3. Soundproofing my room, but that is the most expensive solution, and I am restricted to a budget of Rs 20,000 (US$ 500), and I am not sure how effective soundproofing within this budget be

As you can see, I am in a dilemma, and my practice is suffering because of it, and I need a quick solution. Any advice, any suggestions, are welcome, 'cos I'm not sure what's the best way at the moment

Thanks

Ahhh the "too much noise" thread, there are a lot of threads about this already please check back with the search button.
Anyway, if you are planning to silent your drums by changing your playing surface you always will have a different feel and rebound.There is nothing so far that has the feel of drumheads without the noise.
I never have mutes , but I do have a small set that I equipped with meshheads.
Meshheads have more rebound than regular heads, but they are really quite.
But then, you still have the cymbals, and those plastic cymbals lack in feel.
I think the best way is to "soundproof'" your room, but to really soundproof that can be costly, as you said already.
I have no experience with a electronic set, because I never had one.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Forget soundproofing on your budget. You'll be able to accomplish nothing at all. I'm afraid mutes are the best of the options available. They will affect the feel and rebound, ut you'll be playing on your kit, with the drums in real positions, bouncing around naturally, etc.

You'll just have to take advantage of whatever time is available to pull off the pads and play loud. That is the winning advantage of the mutes, in my opinion: they can be out on or taken off in about a minute.

you might just have to work with pads or even with a whole pad kit like they make.

example: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Remo-5Piece-Practice-Pad-Set?sku=442963

and as far as sound proofing goes. there are a few low budget techniques that can make some kind of difference. you can just look around for all the free foam and eggcartons you can find. then just slap those on the walls.

other than these things you should probably just come up with a schedule where you can be loud for a certain amout of time from whenever to whenever everyday.

First Welcome to the Forum,

Second, seems to me you are stuck with the mute pads....just jump on the kit if you have opportunity and play away. Hope you find an answer that will be pleasing to you, I am thankful I am not in that situation....or shall I say, YET!

ENDURE

Cheapest solution is the mute pads. Yes, they feel a little different, but not much. Given the choice between using the pads or not practicing at all, the choice should be obvious.
Good luck, and don't irritate your neighbors if you can help it, imagine the shoe being on the other foot. When I still lived in town, I had neighbors who would play loud hip hop music in their house which made a constant rumble which irritated me severely. When their kids came home, they played basketball in the driveway for hours on end. You wouldn't think so but a constant dribbling basketball will drive you nuts after a while.

Back