New Guru!

Man, what a positively gorgeous snare. Really diggin' the tone from her... Consider me jealous.

Andy, as usual, you guys are spot-on. I WILL own a Guru snare one day.

Trouble is, now I have to start planning for a Guru kit. Don't even have a choice anymore. "Heard the sirens' song," "Train has left the station," "How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (After They've Seen Paree)?"...all of that. ;-)

I'm with you Jason. Honestly, I feel privileged to play a Guru snare drum at my gigs. I never trumpet it, I keep it to myself. If someone asks then I'll tell the story. Yea, no one really asks lol. My steambent ash snare is just so crisp, it's crunchy. It's so sensitive that I might go down to 16 or 12 wires. I think I want more shell. A good dilemma. I haven't experimented yet.

You have a rare ass drum Jason. You really have to stand in awe at the lengths Andy goes to when he does something. I mean the commitment to get in that suit...just to sand drums....I have to stand up and applaud the guy.

That drum is an heirloom that you should definitely play at every gig from now to eternity lol. (Unless you get another Guru ha ha) Really, in the long run, to own something truly amazing...I mean something way beyond DW, way beyond Sonor, forget the Japanese guys and their Phoenix drums...Guru drums are a bargain. I can't think of any drum that can top them. Amazing instruments. I've been playing a Guru snare exclusively at my gigs with only two exceptions since September 2013.

For a stave drum to have that complexity...I had a Canopus Zelkova...that drum was carved from a tree...it was basically a stave without the staves....a hollowed out log....on paper, the perfect drum. Andy's drums wipe the floor with it. What I'm saying is if Andy hollowed out a log....it would beat the snot out of the Canopus drum. He really knows what he's doing. Guru's are a steal, get them while you can.

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to the phat loonng ass walnut note on these segmented walnut In-Tense Tour drums he's building for me. They'll get the friggin tympanic edge....and I can't believe I'm going to have them in my disgusting dirty little hands in just a few short months MU HA HA HA HA HA!

I'm with you Jason. Honestly, I feel privileged to play a Guru snare drum at my gigs. I never trumpet it, I keep it to myself. If someone asks then I'll tell the story. Yea, no one really asks lol. My steambent ash snare is just so crisp, it's crunchy. It's so sensitive that I might go down to 16 or 12 wires. I think I want more shell. A good dilemma. I haven't experimented yet.

Ah, that steam bent ash. You'll recall that over a year ago, I emailed you with all kinds of questions about that drum. Heard a recording you posted and couldn't stop thinking about it.

Just spent the last two nights gigging the drum and the more I get to know her, the more enamored I become. Actually didn't play quite as well as usual on Friday; there's so much about this drum that's different I think I just really needed time on a gig to get used to it. Change for the better is still change, still unfamiliar territory in some regards and takes time to adjust.

Going into yesterday's gig, I still hadn't taken a key to it. Andy suggested giving the rods a quarter turn--I did and holy crap, pop-o-rama but still plenty of that rich, complex body. Last set, I'm slamming backbeats with my left hand way back on the stick and it was just heavenly. We're still getting to know each other but last night I was better able to find the right place for the sound in the groove (if that makes any sense) and then everything just flowed.

You have a rare ass drum Jason. You really have to stand in awe at the lengths Andy goes to when he does something. I mean the commitment to get in that suit...just to sand drums....I have to stand up and applaud the guy.

That drum is an heirloom that you should definitely play at every gig from now to eternity lol. (Unless you get another Guru ha ha) Really, in the long run, to own something truly amazing...I mean something way beyond DW, way beyond Sonor, forget the Japanese guys and their Phoenix drums...Guru drums are a bargain. I can't think of any drum that can top them. Amazing instruments. I've been playing a Guru snare exclusively at my gigs with only two exceptions since September 2013.

Yes sir, as you said earlier, it's really a privilege to have this instrument as part of my musical identity and expression. Andy seems to have this mixture of knowledge, passion, work ethic, obsession with details (and awareness of the impact of even the smallest of details) and endless fascination with what might be possible when it comes to creating drums. I'm sure I'm embarrassing the f*** out of him but I've been reading his posts since he joined the forum and this is what I've gleaned. Thing is, I'm really not trying to be complimentary to him by saying that, just stating the reality that when you have someone like that crafting a product, you're going to end up with something exceptional.

For a stave drum to have that complexity...I had a Canopus Zelkova...that drum was carved from a tree...it was basically a stave without the staves....a hollowed out log....on paper, the perfect drum. Andy's drums wipe the floor with it. What I'm saying is if Andy hollowed out a log....it would beat the snot out of the Canopus drum. He really knows what he's doing. Guru's are a steal, get them while you can.

You have no idea how much I am looking forward to the phat loonng ass walnut note on these segmented walnut In-Tense Tour drums he's building for me. They'll get the friggin tympanic edge....and I can't believe I'm going to have them in my disgusting dirty little hands in just a few short months MU HA HA HA HA HA!

Yeah, I'm so excited for you man! I might even have to make a trip out to PA to hear/feel them in-person.

Okay, I'm off to go play my drum. ;-)

BEautiful drum, and what a sound! Typical Guru, just outstanding.

Spleen, you're a fellow Michigander? Do you play out in the SE area?

I love hearing guys gush over their Guru drums. There's no other drum like them on Planet Earth.

Andy if you're reading this, have you sold any drums with the tympanic edge yet? Or will my set be the first?

The new set I'm getting....my exotic DW's were a few hundred more. Right, Gurus for less than the cost of DW's. Same amount of drums too, 5, and sizes are really close. Very comparable transactions.

I really want to fly out there and meet you (and maybe Larry8 too) and go to one of your gigs so I can hear it in action.

I'd be down for that, Larry. Just don't turn your back on me with those Gurus....

Not above running off with them when you're not looking,
8Mile

Guru-vy. Hell yeah that's a beauty-and I guarantee you a lot of sweat went into that drum (Andy's wearing that dang outfit). Happy Birthday dude-I'm so envious. I know you are going to enjoy that for years to come.

BEautiful drum, and what a sound! Typical Guru, just outstanding.

Spleen, you're a fellow Michigander? Do you play out in the SE area?

Thanks man, this drum is SICK. I cannot stop playing it! I'm addicted.

I'm actually on the west side of the state, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo neck of the woods. I saw you post something in the DCI thread awhile back and it made me wonder if you and I might have known some of the same drum corps guys originally from your area. Brand Halls, Wayne Bovenschen, Leif Marwede? Bueller? Buelller? ;-)

I love hearing guys gush over their Guru drums. There's no other drum like them on Planet Earth.

Andy if you're reading this, have you sold any drums with the tympanic edge yet? Or will my set be the first?

The new set I'm getting....my exotic DW's were a few hundred more. Right, Gurus for less than the cost of DW's. Same amount of drums too, 5, and sizes are really close. Very comparable transactions.

I really want to fly out there and meet you (and maybe Larry8 too) and go to one of your gigs so I can hear it in action.

So that's crazy about the DWs. I didn't realize those were that expensive. And yeah man, you're welcome to come out anytime. You just have to at least bring your Guru snare along. ;-)

Another one gone indeed! Thanks Greta! Before long, I'll be joining the likes of you in having my own Guru kit.

Guru-vy. Hell yeah that's a beauty-and I guarantee you a lot of sweat went into that drum (Andy's wearing that dang outfit). Happy Birthday dude-I'm so envious. I know you are going to enjoy that for years to come.

Thank you! This was a very memorable birthday, for sure.

there's so much about this drum that's different I think I just really needed time on a gig to get used to it. Change for the better is still change, still unfamiliar territory in some regards and takes time to adjust.
This is not an uncommon reaction. Many players are not used to something so expressive / input reactive. The smallest stick placement change can often excite the shell differently & produce a new flavour. It's part of the extreme expression nature of In-Tense design, but very much accentuated by the complexity of rosewood like midrange delivery. It's no different to getting used to a car with lower geared steering & a more powerful engine - it takes a short while for it all to become intuitive, especially edge of head response & rim shots.

Your set will be the first Larry, even though it's being built at the same time as two Tour series kits that will also feature the edge on the resonant side of the toms. Your shells will be the first to have the edges applied in our finishing shop (outside of the R&D drums that is).

Another one gone indeed! Thanks Greta! Before long, I'll be joining the likes of you in having my own Guru kit.

After all, they're cheaper than DWs!

Really, I don't deserve a kit like Gurus or any other top line kit. A lazy tuner with cloth ears who uses gaffa tape to cover for her sins and who gave up gigging because it gives her the shits - like if a garage violinist (if there's such a thing) bought a Stradivarius :)))

One day I hope to be a proud Guru owner however the only caveat is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN1yxax448
Actually I would have been a proud Guru owner for this last birthday, however my wife had planned a birthday trip to Jamaica. Andy actually encouraged me to take the trip with the wife as I was lobbying for a Guru, which was the best advice ;) thanks Andy :) Now how self effacing is this guy who would turn down a sale and personal gain to offer really good and thoughtful advice to a practical stranger. Course now my tan has faded and my liver has recovered I still want to get my Guru-ve thing on.

Last edited:
Thanks man, this drum is SICK. I cannot stop playing it! I'm addicted.

I'm actually on the west side of the state, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo neck of the woods. I saw you post something in the DCI thread awhile back and it made me wonder if you and I might have known some of the same drum corps guys originally from your area. Brand Halls, Wayne Bovenschen, Leif Marwede? Bueller? Buelller? ;-)
hey, spleen. I know some of those names from the Internet and forums, but not personally. There definitely have been some great corps people from the state, though!

Okay, so more on the drum. I'm finding myself going back to work on fundamentals. Slight differences in the velocity of my strokes elicit noticeably different sounds. So, for example, 16th note paradiddle exercises aren't sounding as smooth as they did on other drums.

It's a good thing. No, it's a GREAT thing. Fundamentals are great to regularly touch base with anyway but with this drum in particular, the reward will be better control AND access to a wider range of nuanced sounds. How cool is THAT?

Did I mention that I'm in love with my drum? ;-)

Okay, so more on the drum. I'm finding myself going back to work on fundamentals. Slight differences in the velocity of my strokes elicit noticeably different sounds. So, for example, 16th note paradiddle exercises aren't sounding as smooth as they did on other drums.

Oh gosh, this is scary. Now I'm re-thinking my desire to own a Guru snare.
Why would I want to buy a snare drum that will expose my sloppy playing !!!!

LOL.

It's OK that you keep updating us Spleen. A few of us are living vicariously through you.

:)

Back