Did they stop making 20" bass drums?

paulegavin

I'm going to be in the market for a new drum set in the next 6 months. Every time I see a nice 6 piece kit, with a nice color and a nice reputation the bass drum is always 22" or 24".

Anyone have any suggestions for good kits with 20" bass drums? 6 piece (two floors) preferred. Thanks much!

I had to fight to get my kit with a 20" bass drum. I ended up driving from one GC to another across town who said they had it, then i didn't have it, then did have it after all.

They are not really the standard these days. Seems strange since they are the most versatile IMO.

Yes, they did stop making 20" bass drums. Mine was the last.

(just kidding)

You can find them online or in catalogs all over the place. Most intermediate lines and up have 20" bass drums as available sizes. As a previous poster said, they don't carry them in all the shops because 22" and 24" are the most popular sizes. But any shop that's an actual dealer of a brand should be able to order that size for you. If it's an intermediate or lwo-tier pro kit, you might not even have very long to wait.

Anyone have any suggestions for good kits with 20" bass drums? 6 piece (two floors) preferred. Thanks much!
First off, you need to attach a budget to your question. Every drum manufacturer I know of, offers 20" kicks, in their pro lines. However, if you're looking for a $600 drum set ... different story.​
Second, look at manufacturers web sites. Most all of them list their drums by series/lines ... once you figure out which series you want/can afford, look for the "configurations" offered by the manufacturer.​
Just walking in off the street, into a drum shop, and hoping to find a set with a 20" kick ... good luck with that ! Simply because most shops can't afford to tie up their floor space (and overhead) to warehouse a kit with a 20" kick, hoping they sell one a month (maybe) ... when they can sell 25 kits in the same amount of time offering a 22" kick. But that doesn't mean you can't order one, and it's shipped within' a week or two, for you to pick up (maybe even delivered to your crib).​

The Five Star drum shop where I buy most of my equipment had several 20" bass drums in stock with kits made by various manufacturers such as DW Collectors, Ludwig Classic Maple, Tama Silverstar and Sonor S Classix. You might have to buy the basic kit and order the additional drums. It's just one of the reasons I love that shop so much.

Dennis

Back