Spaun custom makeover and new Black Sea cymbals

I thought you'd pick up on the fact that keep it simple hadn't kept it simple!

I did. : )

But then I thought twice about it because then I'd have to go into this whole discourse about hidden meanings and the degree of difficulty involved in 'keeping things simple'.
About Haiku poetry, Japanese calligraphy, and how Shaolin monks have to totally own the martial arts in order to be totally non violent, about the parts of an iceberg that you dont see, about the birth of the Billy Jean groove, about the infinity between 2 notes or 2 beats, about what makes Steve Jordan, Steve Jordan, about the difference between simple & simplicity, and why simple sounds better when its a choice rather than a fait accompli.

oops....somebody stop me..

You and your kit are what is described in my trade as 'the tension between two opposites'.
Its a stunning one-of-a kind kit and doesn't deserve any wisecracking whatsoever because a lot of thought, love, and feeling have gone into every tiny aspect of it, right down to its presentation here.. so I shall remain suitably sombre and deeply impressed.

I did. : )

But then I thought twice about it because then I'd have to go into this whole discourse about hidden meanings and the degree of difficulty involved in 'keeping things simple'.
About Haiku poetry, Japanese calligraphy, and how Shaolin monks have to totally own the martial arts in order to be totally non violent, about the parts of an iceberg that you dont see, about the birth of the Billy Jean groove, about the infinity between 2 notes or 2 beats, about what makes Steve Jordan, Steve Jordan, about the difference between simple & simplicity, and why simple sounds better when its a choice rather than a fait accompli.

oops....somebody stop me..

You and your kit are what is described in my trade as 'the tension between two opposites'.
Its a stunning one-of-a kind kit and doesn't deserve any wisecracking whatsoever because a lot of thought, love, and feeling have gone into every tiny aspect of it, right down to its presentation here.. so I shall remain suitably sombre and deeply impressed.

Oooo, that was deep, & got me thinking. I've never really thought of my kit as an extension of my own character (I smell a new thread). I like quality in everything I do. If I do something, I want it to be the best I can make it, otherwise I walk away. The rack is my resolution to my frustration at having to manipulate stands every time I set up & break down. It brings order & predictability to my kit. Something I value in all walks of life. The drums are pure and true to the materials they're crafted from. They hold no surprises and deliver succinctly according to their appearance. I take people at face value and hope they reciprocate in kind. The cymbals are an eclectic mix of soft landings & explosive expression. There's always the feeling of the ability to massage and destruction available at the strike of a stick. That's my fantasy character. So yes, the kit says something about me. Glad you liked it.

I wish I had such a great cymbal set up.
You will in time my friend. Just keep doing what you're doing. If you are thinking of getting any new pies at some stage, check out the renaissance range from Murat Diril (not the Black Sea like my effects cymbals). If I was building up a set, I'd go for them over the big three and they're half the price of the HHX's, K's, etc.

Where can I buy some Murat Diril cymbals? I really love the sound of the black sea.

Where can I buy some Murat Diril cymbals? I really love the sound of the black sea.
Hi Max, I've no idea where you can buy them in Canada but a mail to the contact below will be able to advise you. As you can see, you can even mail Murat Diril himself although I've had nice communications with Ms. Sewtap Demir.

MURAT DIRIL CYMBALS

Adresse : Ornek Sanayi Sitesi 10. Sokak No:26 SAMSUN/TURKEY

Phone : +90 362 266 96 52

Fax : +90 362 266 96 62

E-mail : [email protected] , [email protected]

The website has some quite truthful sound samples you may wish to try. My Black Sea cymbals sound very similar in reality to the sound clips on the site. I would offer a word of caution though, the Black Sea range don't cut through an amplified band mix as well as other cymbals. They're very dark and don't sit well with modern high paced music unless you use them as a contrast like me. I can tell you that their Renaissance range of cymbals are simply superb. Not as dark as the Black Sea cymbals but still with plenty of body and they cut through just nicely. I'd say they're similar to Sabian HHX but with a more musical character. They do a brighter version of the Renaissance range as well called Renaissance Luminous. If Sewtap can advise you of a stockist, that would be great as it's always best to try them out first. I took a gamble and it paid off. Good luck, KIS.

Max, just got this back from the very friendly people at Murat Diril. Mail them & they'll put you onto the Canadian distributor. They'll deal with you directly if they don't have a distributor in that country.

Dear Andy,

Thanks so much for your kind e-mail.

We are so glad to meet with you.

We have many distributorships which are USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, France and Belgium. Now our website is renewed by our designer, as soon as he finishes the new website, we will also show our distributors and their contact informations in our website. Whoever is interested in our cymbals, they can contact with us, then I will give our distributorship contact information to them. So they can reach our cymbals easily. If someone is interested in our cymbals in a country which we dont have any distributors, we will send their interested cymbals from here directly.

With my best wishes

Ms.Sewtap Demir

MURAT DIRIL CYMBALS

Very nice. I'm not normally a fan of the gold hardware but here it looks great with the natural finish.

Max, just got this back from the very friendly people at Murat Diril. Mail them & they'll put you onto the Canadian distributor. They'll deal with you directly if they don't have a distributor in that country.

Dear Andy,

Thanks so much for your kind e-mail.

We are so glad to meet with you.

We have many distributorships which are USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, France and Belgium. Now our website is renewed by our designer, as soon as he finishes the new website, we will also show our distributors and their contact informations in our website. Whoever is interested in our cymbals, they can contact with us, then I will give our distributorship contact information to them. So they can reach our cymbals easily. If someone is interested in our cymbals in a country which we dont have any distributors, we will send their interested cymbals from here directly.

With my best wishes

Ms.Sewtap Demir

MURAT DIRIL CYMBALS

Thank you keepitsimple. I'll listen the Renaissance series too.

The way you setup your kit and the attention to detail speaks volumes. Great looking kit, and great pictures,...a job well done. You can view several of my kits at www.awdrums.com

thanks
Alan

I can tell you that their Renaissance range of cymbals are simply superb. Not as dark as the Black Sea cymbals but still with plenty of body and they cut through just nicely. I'd say they're similar to Sabian HHX but with a more musical character. They do a brighter version of the Renaissance range as well called Renaissance Luminous. If Sewtap can advise you of a stockist, that would be great as it's always best to try them out first. I took a gamble and it paid off. Good luck, KIS.

I have a 17" Renaissance crash, and recorded with it for the first time last night. I was surprised how dark it sounded when listening back to the rough mix. Really lovely. I would recommend Murat Diril and I am certainly going to buy more of these cymbals.

Very lovely kit by the way...

I have a 17" Renaissance crash, and recorded with it for the first time last night. I was surprised how dark it sounded when listening back to the rough mix. Really lovely. I would recommend Murat Diril and I am certainly going to buy more of these cymbals.

Very lovely kit by the way...
Sorry, missed your reply. Can you post the recording? I'd be really interested to hear that 17" Renaissance. I'm doing a bit of basic cover demo recording next month. I'll post that when it's done.

Back