ddrum Hybrid Electric/Acoustic Kit

HUdrummer

Hello everyone I just found this electric acoustic ddrum set on Musicians Friend. Its in my price range and I like the looks a lot. I also like the fact that I could use as an electric kit if I bought some cymbal triggers, drum machine, and mesh head. It would be great if I ever have to live in an apartment. I just cant find any good reviews on it. Does anyone know anything about this, and should I get it? If no look at the other links of other kits im considering and tell me whats the best.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-Hybrid-Electronic-6piece-Shell-Pack?sku=483968
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-Element-Lacquer-4Piece-Emo-Drum-Shell-Pack?sku=582209
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-Dios-Maple-5Piece-Shell-Pack?sku=484078
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-AMX-AshMaple-Hybrid-4Piece-Drum-Shell-Pack-with-22-Kick?sku=449393#used
Also fell free to suggest me a kit to..

II know but i would like to have triggers on my kit because i may be moving to an apartment soon and that would work perfect. But how would I put my triggers in some headphones

Sorry, I can't be of too much help with this, but my assumption would be that you may have to purchase some sort of connector for all of the triggers to go into (like on the side of most electric kits) which would have a slot for earphones or an amp as well.

I searched and the closest thing I could find to being slightly helpful was this video, hopefully it helps you out a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCsMnxdgTuo

I mean 1500 with cymbals hardware and everything else, I found some reviews on the drums. I hearde that they sound good, with nice tone and stuff, but I figured out that they arer made out of poplar wood. im not to sure if thats good quality or not. Im sure its not as bad as basswood but idk

Last edited:
You'd need a drum brain (or equivalent) to run the triggers into. I've seen a used yamaha DTXtreme 3 go for $150, but the brain is the most expensive part of an electric kit generally. I've heard nothing but bad things about ddrums.

Then what should I get, that will give a nice metal sound, and its also inexpensive. heres what I want.

Maple
Virgin bass
22/20 or 20/20 bass
Power coated hardware ( or bronze/gold if the finish is natural)
Under $800 shell pack

I was in your position looking for a shell kit and had it narrowed down to the DDrum dios maple and the Sonor 3007 at dales..I really preferred the Ddrum due to the virgin bass and cast rims, however after reading all the reviews on both sets and every post here about the 2 sets the decision to go with the 3007's became very easy...its been awhile now and the Sonors have held up very well as a gigging set...with G2 heads they stay in tune and sound like cannons..

I was in your position looking for a shell kit and had it narrowed down to the DDrum dios maple and the Sonor 3007 at dales..I really preferred the Ddrum due to the virgin bass and cast rims, however after reading all the reviews on both sets and every post here about the 2 sets the decision to go with the 3007's became very easy...its been awhile now and the Sonors have held up very well as a gigging set...with G2 heads they stay in tune and sound like cannons..

+1 and ddrum have always had quality issues

I would avoid Ddrum for awhile, well known quality issues!!

It may be a little more, but you can pick up a Yamaha Rock tour kit for about $900-1000, such a beautiful deep sound from that kick drum, plus its Yamaha quality! then buy a set of mesh heads and some triggers, which you can then output to any drum brain, then add on any electric cymbals or pads as you wish :)

will maybe dig out my electro acoustic Pearl kit and whip some photos up :)

Then what should I get, that will give a nice metal sound, and its also inexpensive. heres what I want.

Maple
Virgin bass
22/20 or 20/20 bass
Power coated hardware ( or bronze/gold if the finish is natural)
Under $800 shell pack

A great deal on a used pork pie kit? Or possibly an OCDP, but I hear mixed reviews on them as well. You want a lot for a little, so I would check used avenues, but be prepared to wait to find what you want.

Yea thanks everyone. Im kinda stuck in this situation that I just cant find what I want for the price I want it at. LOL ive been stuck like this for awhile. I like brands like ddrum, pork pie, ocdp, and stuff like that, but I just cant find anything good, for a good price. I know that there are really good kits that have the toms mounted on the bass, but im just so used to my toms being low and to the left it would just feel weird have them in a different position. I guess its just a personal preference. I also would like to have a different color besides black with chrome hardware. all of the drums ive owned before had that color, and its just getting old. It just seems to be the "generic" color for me and I want something different. Im fine with wood, or wrap, or acyclic, or anything else that looks good. I'm getting a job this summer to earn the money for these new drums, so I dont have the money yet. ill be hopefully getting around $2000 for the whole summers job, then around $150 for my birthday, and about $400 for working for my grandmother. But of course I dont wanna spend all of that on my drums, Im gunna put 25% away for a car leaving me with only 2000, I need about 200 for just spending money, and 300 for a new guitar, leaving me with 1500 for drums. Im buying new cymbals, shell pack, hardware, triggers, drum module, sticks, accesories, and heads with the 1500. Please help me find something

I know at least yamaha's tom mounting hardware will fit in a cymbal stand base. I.E. my kit...
2iizp0h.jpg

ver613.jpg

14vpn61.jpg

I only use the hole in the kick for a cymbal. I'm sure other company's hardware will work the same, I'm just not too familiar with it.

if anyone can hlp me fid a kut simular to the one in the link above, thats in my price range that would help alot.

It may be a little more, but you can pick up a Yamaha Rock tour kit for about $900-1000, such a beautiful deep sound from that kick drum, plus its Yamaha quality! then buy a set of mesh heads and some triggers, which you can then output to any drum brain, then add on any electric cymbals or pads as you wish :)

+1 on the Yamaha Rock Tour. Yamaha makes both excellent quality drums and hardware. Not sure if you need/want a snare as well...

4-Piece w/ Matching Snare

3-piece Shell Pack

Add a 14" Floor Tom

And look what you can do!

emo01.jpg

emo02.jpg

And you can just take the screws out to remove that YESS mount then remove that felt piece.
YESS.jpg

I was a little bored this morning. My brother currently has my car and I can't go anywhere.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

Back