Old Performers vs. New Performers!

SimSalaBim

So I saw a set of old Performers in Birch only shells for a great price. Are they worth it? How do they compare to the new Birch/Bubinga combination?

In a word? Yes. All variants of the performer, the original mahogany/birch, birch and now Birch/bubinga are all real good mate. But as always, what sizes and what price?

I think the older Performers sounded better than the Maple SCs. I love the more controlled sound. If I hadn't built a set of vintage Superstars from EvilBay, I would have bought a new SC Performer kit in Dark Cherry Fade.

$1000 is an okay price for the drums, maybe see if you can haggle them down a little otherwise i think it's totally worth buying.

I paid $1k for my Performers a couple of years ago. 2-18x20, 8x8, 8x10, 9x12, 11x14, five Zildjians (I still use the 13" A Custom Hats and the Chinese, sometimes the A Custom Projrction Ride), a bottom-feeder Mapex snare, and all the required stands. They were/are scratched and dented, but we just took them to the studio over a GMS Grandmaster Series kit.

Even if they're mint, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about that price. It's a buyer's market. offer $700 sight unseen, see if he'll do $800, then give them a good inspection when you pick them up.

Old performers are great and 1000 isn't a bad deal at all. I would even dare to say it's a really good deal, assuming it's in a finish you like. When it comes down to it, 1000 isn't bad for a drum set that you're really going to enjoy. You could spend a lot more on a different kit and you probably wouldn't be much happier. Starclassics of all shapes and sizes have a very good reputation for being a great dollar to quality ratio. As for the B/B performers...they sound great but I have seen some pretty funky looking finishes that I, personally, wouldn't want as an every day player. Also, they offer a combination of woods that is relatively hard to obtain without paying for custom shells, and so they have the opportunity to jack up the prices a little on those (still not as expensive as some upper end Mapex or DW for example).

I have the Birch-shell Performer. I have yet to hear any drum kit that I like better than mine. They do well tuned high, medium, low - doesn't matter what heads either, I have tried them all. The Performers are amazing kits, period.

I agree with the other guys, try to get the guy down to $900 at least. That kit new was probably $1600 or so. If they are the painted finish, there are probably some scratches and dings. $1000 ain't bad, but $800-$900 is better.

Good luck!

I paid $1k for my Performers a couple of years ago. 2-18x20, 8x8, 8x10, 9x12, 11x14, five Zildjians (I still use the 13" A Custom Hats and the Chinese, sometimes the A Custom Projrction Ride), a bottom-feeder Mapex snare, and all the required stands. They were/are scratched and dented, but we just took them to the studio over a GMS Grandmaster Series kit.

Even if they're mint, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about that price. It's a buyer's market. offer $700 sight unseen, see if he'll do $800, then give them a good inspection when you pick them up.

Yeah that's why i said you should try and haggle them down, i got my set (3 drums, like yours but without the 10 and snare, well it did have a snare but the shop sold it) for £450, a bloke on a forum recently got a 4pc set + a rack and a snare for the equivelant of $600US but it was $1100NZ so maybe stuff is just cheaper over there. I'd say try to ask at least $100-200 off, might sound like a lot but the starclassic performers from that era (like mine) are really in a buyer's market, plus with the current climate then the bloke is clearly a bit optimistic if he won't accept at least that sort of discount.

I personally had a 03 or 04 spec performer kit, then the newer hardware 06 performer with the chrome isolation mounts and boy what a difference in sound. The newer 06 drums sounded phenomenal in a room with DW's, Pearl Masters, etc. I was sold immediately. I wish they still made those at that price point. I don't know what I would buy after having those for $1000 or less.

I recently won an auction on ebay for all-birch Performers (6 pieces) for $860 including shipping. I was wondering the same thing about the birch vs. the birch/bubinga mix. I will tell you how it sounds when it gets here and probably post pics.

I recently won an auction on ebay for all-birch Performers (6 pieces) for $860 including shipping. I was wondering the same thing about the birch vs. the birch/bubinga mix. I will tell you how it sounds when it gets here and probably post pics.

That is an absolute steal for a 6-piece performer kit, you are gonna enjoy that one a lot. If you don't mind, what shells did you get for that price?

Sorry for not replying yet, haven't had much time. I got a 14x6.5 snare, 9x10 tom, 10x12 tom, 12x14 floor, 14x16 floor, 18x20 bass. The guy shipped them and then said he underestimated the shipping and just the bass drum was $150 and I paid $100 for all the shipping. He wants me to send him more money but I am not going to because the auction is over and he should have done his research before posting the ad. I do feel sorry for him though.

I think the older Performers sounded better than the Maple SCs. I love the more controlled sound. If I hadn't built a set of vintage Superstars from EvilBay, I would have bought a new SC Performer kit in Dark Cherry Fade.

Sorry for not replying yet, haven't had much time. I got a 14x6.5 snare, 9x10 tom, 10x12 tom, 12x14 floor, 14x16 floor, 18x20 bass. The guy shipped them and then said he underestimated the shipping and just the bass drum was $150 and I paid $100 for all the shipping. He wants me to send him more money but I am not going to because the auction is over and he should have done his research before posting the ad. I do feel sorry for him though.

Yeah that's his fault really. I ended up posting a guitar to austrailia. I only put like £40 for international shipping because i didn't think anybody was gonna buy it from that far away. My mistake. I shipped him with that cost but i did manage to get a bit more money out of him for shipping insurance so that's good ;)

Back