Possible broken arm - New setup

Calummordue

Hey guys

So ya, I may have broken my arm.(Going to hospital on Monday) Not good! I did think about stopping drumming for a while, but then i thought "Travis barker played the drums with one hand why can't i". So i rearranged my kit (with help from my dad) and started practicing, I got my dad to take some pics to show you my new setup for a while.

I left the camera running when i was practicing with this new setup, you can see the vid here - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T-a0BTiU-0A&feature=channel_page

Cymbals (left to right)

sabian aax stage crash 16"
sabian aax stage hats 14"
sabian hhx plosion crash 18"
sabian aax stage ride 20"

DSC01601.jpg

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01607.jpg

DSC01621.jpg

DSC01622.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

DSC01638.jpg

ps. typing with one hand isn't fun!

I bet, at least you're trying.
Look at the drummer for Def Leppard, he's been playing with one arm forever.

try it...put your arm behind your back with out a stick and try it..

challenging. and keep doing it...with both hands so you get good at it. then when you have both of them back together, look what you can do..seriously..

and, thats good that your not going to just stop for now...i would do the same thing!

Alex

If you're going to play with one are, the logical thing to do is diminish the distance between each drums and cymbals, I suggest you lower your hihats and crashes..

If you're going to play with one are, the logical thing to do is diminish the distance between each drums and cymbals, I suggest you lower your hihats and crashes..

Yes... I have made my hi hat a bit lower...and i have hardly any "drums" anyway.
Thanks for the advice about the hats!

why not try playing with the cast on ?
maybe not the first few days but a week after they put it on just play with the cast!

I did it about 2 weeks after I broke and chipped my wrist...

I even played a gig with my cast and 2 months later I played a gig with stitches in my hand from the same day :p

The most important thing is to just keep playing !!

grtz drobbo

I really like the fact that you made sure the ONE stick was in the pics. Too funny. Which arm did you break?...just kidding;-)

Update? Is the arm broken?

why not try playing with the cast on ?
maybe not the first few days but a week after they put it on just play with the cast!

I did it about 2 weeks after I broke and chipped my wrist...

I even played a gig with my cast and 2 months later I played a gig with stitches in my hand from the same day :p

The most important thing is to just keep playing !!

grtz drobbo

Um, NOT a good idea. Don't listen to this advice. Not to be mean, but do what the doctor says. If you have the cast on, you can't play drums. It's dangerous to, and you could end up damaging your arm/wrist even more.

Um, NOT a good idea. Don't listen to this advice. Not to be mean, but do what the doctor says. If you have the cast on, you can't play drums. It's dangerous to, and you could end up damaging your arm/wrist even more.

dude it's safer to play drums with a cast than without one since you arm is totally blocked.

the doctor told me I could so I figured it was safe... :p

But I'm not saying you HAVE to play with it just do as you like

I really like the fact that you made sure the ONE stick was in the pics. Too funny. Which arm did you break?...just kidding;-)

Yer, well i didnt mean to put the stick there, it was their just from playing :) oh and its the right hand... im amazed how i can play with my left as its normaly playing just the snare!

Update? Is the arm broken?
Its "fractured" what ever that means...lol.. hairline fracture..

oh and its not in a cast, but the doc said i should try not to play with it :(

And be sure to use both sticks evenly, so when you're arm gets better, one isn't more beat up than the other.

Yes i am..:) im so surprised about my left hand, how strong it is....

Keep pushing it! You might find yourself enjoying leading with your left hand after all this is over and you might switch to an open handed style which I am a big endorser of.

Keep pushing it! You might find yourself enjoying leading with your left hand after all this is over and you might switch to an open handed style which I am a big endorser of.

The exact opposite happened to me--I used to be open handed, now I am closed.

Back