Custom DW Snare - Questions

johnbarnesiii

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of ordering a new custom DW snare. Some questions:

1) I pick a series (Collelctors, Jazz, etc), size, finish, and hardware color. Is that it for customization? Or are there more specs within each series to pick, like how many ply, grain orientation, etc?

2) What's difference in sound between the new Maple/Mahogany and the Jazz series?

3) Should I go for 6.5x14 or 7x14?

Thanks!

I custom ordered a DW Collectors snare a couple years ago. I had the choice of VLT, X, and regular cross-laminated. The standard cross laminated was 10+6 (10 ply shell with 6 ply rerings). I ordered mine as just a 10 because I don't care for rerings (they were offering a 6-ply too, and probably still do). The reason I didn't do one of the other grain orientations was because of a video on the DW website where John Good was going through some raw shells of different types (reg, reg w/o rering, VLT, X). As he went down the line, thumping each shell with his fist, the fundamental of each shell got lower and lower. First, because the rerings were removed, and then later as tension was taken off the shell (which is the effect of using more vertical plies and plies at 45s). It's funny because I was listening on crappy computer speakers that couldn't reproduce the lower tones so I thought, "Well, if I can't hear them here, then perhaps that shell isn't projecting well enough and maybe I don't want to take that tension out of the shell."

So that's how I decided on my shell. They were offering shell depths in 1" increments so I chose the 6x14. I also got the tube lug option because I preferred it to the DW turret lug.

I also didn't want a wrap because I'm paranoid that covering the shell in thick plastic will inhibit its vibration. Ditto for a thick poly-lacquer, so I just did a black stain with a satin finish.

That's pretty much it. It took about 4 months to get it.

If I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider the steam-bent single-ply. Truth be told, I wasn't crazy about the sound of the Collectors. It was quite a let-down. I tried all kinds of heads and tunings but just could never get it to really "wake up" and it sounded boxy. So I sold it.

On your other questions: I don't have any experience with the newer lines like the Jazz or the classics. Also, I don't think you'll hear too much difference between 6.5" and 7" depths, but I'd go shallower. My next wood snare will probably be a 5" or 5.5".

Good luck.

Thanks Mike!

I've heard that the newer Maple/Mahogany is warmer than the Collectors line which is good for me. THough I'm not sure if the Jazz series is warmer still.

I'm going for a flat/matte black (I think its a hard stain), not ebony stain, but more like an ungloss plain black, with black nickel hardware. Thanks for the depth suggestion, I've always liked the seeper 6.5s but never tried a 7.

So within each series (Collectors, Jazz etc) you can specify the shell? Like VLT, X, etc? That's good to know. Also didn't know you could specify the type of lugs? Cheers!

where do you live?

the reason I ask is this, the last time I ordered a kit I wasn't sure of what options I wanted. I called DW and they told me o come and take the Friday tour and they would let me play stuff in the show room. yep, kid in a candy store ;-)

so if you are in or cn get to so cal...

I'm in fact in Los Angeles. Great idea thanks. Love the idea of a brand new DW snare. Trying to get a really warm sound but not dead sounding.

just call DW and get your name on the list for the our, at least that is how it used to be done.

The Maple/Mahogany/Maple will be just as warm as the jazz series, but they have rerings, and I don't think you can take them out. The Jazz Series does not have rerings.

You may want to consider a good independent custom builder. There are a number of them that to top notch work , offer a variety of shell types (stave, steambent, etc...) and offer a level customization that the large companies can't .

Thanks guys... so, is this everything that is customizable with DW in a snare:

1) size
2) shell finish
3) hardware finish
4) type of hoops
5) series (collector, jazz, etc)

or is there anything else that I'm missing that I need to pick?

Thanks guys... so, is this everything that is customizable with DW in a snare:

1) size
2) shell finish
3) hardware finish
4) type of hoops
5) series (collector, jazz, etc)

or is there anything else that I'm missing that I need to pick?

Believe they can make a wood snare with or without re-rings (re-rings is the default and with DW they're used more for sound than shell support). Also, I believe DW also offers tube lugs instead of the traditional turret lugs inherited from Camco. Depending on the drum, you might have other options. For example, the Super Solid Edge they custom built for me had three thickness options and the ability to mix maple, walnut, or cherry sections. I went with a walnut middle surrounded by maple outers.

I heard the new DW maple mahogany sounds real cool. Maybe I'll get the snare in that line. Still haven't settled on 6.5 over 7 depth yet tho. Seems maybe 6.5 is more versatile. But 7 might be fatter sounding.

Looking at the DW website, the info it has on the maple/mahogany shells is that they are VLT (assume the sanre also). If so, I would think a 6.5 would be plenty deep enough. I own a 14x6.5 maple VLT and it's definitely lower pitched than any other 6.5 wood snare I've played.

ETA - Re-rings will warm up the sound and dampen some of the ringy overtones. After playing (and now owning 2) VLT snare without te-rings, I'd never go back to a standard 10&6 with the re-rings... but I do like a lot of ring in my snare.

The Maple/Mahogany/Maple will be just as warm as the jazz series, but they have rerings, and I don't think you can take them out. The Jazz Series does not have rerings.

The new Collectors Maple/Mahogany shells do NOT have re-rings

Disclaimer right up front: I like the drum sound that is typically associated with jazz music.

The Collectors are beautiful drums. I had the privilege of playing a set for an extended period. They are just gorgeous. However, the 5x14, 10-ply snare was my least favorite piece of the kit I played. The drummer who owned the set agreed with me and was planning to pursue a different snare (I'm not sure what he bought to replace it, though). He had tried every head combo he could think of but was never satisfied with it. Coulda been just that one drum, I don't know. I just wasn't happy with it. It was kind of dead although it projected like crazy. It just didn't have that tone/character I strive for.

Now, a few weeks ago, I sat just a few feet away from a guy playing a 5x14 Jazz Series snare and it sounded really nice. Coated Ambassador on the batter side and it sang nicely in a small jazz combo setting. The whole set sounded terrific. But, that's more up my alley to begin with, so your mileage may vary.

Ok so I spoke with a couple retailers and so far Im gonna go with a 7x14 dw maple/mahogany which is vlt, finish will be matte black with black nickel hardware. Not gonna do a lot of crazy customization to it, so as to keep the price lower. The more stuff you customize, the more pricey the snare.

Only thing I was considering was foregoing the lacquer on the inside of the shell. The inside lacquer usually brightens the sound. But being that 7 is a lower pitch to begin with, and that the warmth of mahogany plus vlt, maybe Ill keep the inside lacquer after all.

I have a 6.5 DW Collectors Knurled Brass Snare and it basically works for just about everything. Their throwoffs/triple position butt plates really are fantastic too. Every drummer should have a brass snare in my opinion. They can handle basically anything.

Update: just spoke with DW who said that due to the fragile nature of mahogany, they don't do matte black(hard satin) on their maple/mahogany series. It's limited to just a few finishes for this reason.

So I'm considering now a Collectors series 6&6 ply instead, possibly VLT on a 7x14 snare. That would probably be a real low, warm snare sound, hopefully not overkill.

Whaddya guys think?

I have a 6+6 6x14 DW snare. I like the thinner shell, and it is very warm and can be tuned low if you want to. On the other hand, if you crank it, you'll get a great crack aswell.
Great workhorse snare!

Are they still making the 6+6 shells? They seem to be calling the ply Collector's snares "The Collector's Standard" I just bought one and there's no designation pertaining to a 10 or 6 ply shell.

My guess is you don't want re-rings - I like 'em on snares, but I think most people are used to straight shells without the extra mass. I've found the rings give the drum more attack and punch (especially when playing back beats), but they do raise the pitch of the shell a bit. I have a 6x14 Jazz Series that's a great drum - that might be what you're looking for! It's warmer than my 10+6. Another option could be a 10 ply Maple VLT (or X - I'm not sure of all of the different shell configs...) with no rings...

Thanks Cornelius, yes I was thinking about the Jazz series but its too expensive (over $100 more for the snare). I actually don't mind the re-rings.

I was thinking about a 6x6 VLT Collectors series in 7x14 size, matte black finish with black nickel hardware. I think between the 6 ply and the VLT it would be pretty warm, what do you think?

Back