Gretsch Renown Color ?

14vision

Recently picked up a set of Gretsch Renown's that I was told was a commerative kit that there was only one made. I am having trouble verifying this and determining what color and possibly year they were made in. It was back when option to have mounted floor toms was available. Kit includes 8,10,12,14,16 toms, 14X5.5 snare and 22X18 bass drum.

Looking for some help from all the great Gretsch minds on the forum in determing if this is true one off, what real color is and what possible value is for the shells?

Thanks and appreciate all feedback.

Doug

Attachments

• 1024XIMG_1191.jpg
    1024XIMG_1191.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 2,754
  • 1024XIMG_1192.jpg
    1024XIMG_1192.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2,436
  • 1024XIMG_1193.jpg
    1024XIMG_1193.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2,852
How old is it and what did you pay.? I'm afraid to ask almost. What does it say on the badges. I don't think it is a current color.

I am trying to figure out how old but I was told less than 5 years. I paid 1200$ for all the drums.

Thanks

That is a little high for 5 year old Renowns. New ones can be had for that. I think he pulled your leg about them being commemorative unless the badges say so. Gretsch is pretty clear about marking it's commemorative sets. They look good but maybe you can send a photo to Gretsch INC and get an age estimate.

That is a little high for 5 year old Renowns. New ones can be had for that. I think he pulled your leg about them being commemorative unless the badges say so. Gretsch is pretty clear about marking it's commemorative sets. They look good but maybe you can send a photo to Gretsch INC and get an age estimate.

I don't see any new renowns close to that price. I am seeing 3 and 4 piece shell packs costing more and i have an extra tom and snare. I am considering selling to get a same kit with 2 floor toms instead of rack mount and in satin black or cherry burst.

Where are you seeing the deals on these?

Thanks

I'm seeing four piece for about 1500. 12 Just seems high for 5 years old if indeed they are 5 years old, but if your are happy. cool.

That is high for 5 year old Renowns, however, they do have the REAL Gretsch bass claws, which you don't see on any other make anywhere.

That is high for 5 year old Renowns, however, they do have the REAL Gretsch bass claws, which you don't see on any other make anywhere.

I am not sure they are 5 years old as that is what I am trying to find out. Is there any way to find out year of any Gretsch shells?

Thanks

Unfortunately Gretsch doesn't date or put serial numbers on the Renown shells. That look like what some companies call Tobacco Fade.

I am not sure they are 5 years old as that is what I am trying to find out. Is there any way to find out year of any Gretsch shells?

Thanks

14vision, remember, these are made by a company in Taiwan, although some of the nicest drums around, they come from whomever Kaman uses.

I would say $1200 for any year Renowns is a good deal if there is no damage. The drums will probably get only better with age. They look like nice drums = beautiful finish. The finish looks a lot like the Tobacco fade in the Catalina line.
You have the extra rack tom (8") too.

I would be extremely happy with those drums. The Renowns are well made.

The Renown it you have is from the original Renown series, which Gretsch offered from 2003 - 2006. These drums feature a gold badge with black font, classic Gretsch BD claw, 9020 style tom brackets. Some of the early Renowns even had triple-flanged hoops.

In 2006 Gretsch made some modifications/upgrades to Renown. These drums feature a black badge with gold font, modified BD claw, 9025 style tom brackets and non-drilled (for tom mount) bass drums.

The original Renown series was produced in Taiwan. The current Renown series is also produced in Taiwan.

The kit you have appears to be a color prototype sample kit. Therefore, it may be the only one or one of very few sample kits in the same color. The original Renown was offered in Autumn Burst, but that color had a deep brown hue at the shell edges and BD hoops. The images of your kit appear to have very dark brown, or even black, shell edges/BD hoops.

The kit you have appears to be in very good condition and capable of all the quality sound characteristics that Renown drums possess. $1,200.00 for an excellent sounding and looking kit....that's a super deal in my book.

The Renown it you have is from the original Renown series, which Gretsch offered from 2003 - 2006. These drums feature a gold badge with black font, classic Gretsch BD claw, 9020 style tom brackets. Some of the early Renowns even had triple-flanged hoops.

In 2006 Gretsch made some modifications/upgrades to Renown. These drums feature a black badge with gold font, modified BD claw, 9025 style tom brackets and non-drilled (for tom mount) bass drums.

The original Renown series was produced in Taiwan. The current Renown series is also produced in Taiwan.

The kit you have appears to be a color prototype sample kit. Therefore, it may be the only one or one of very few sample kits in the same color. The original Renown was offered in Autumn Burst, but that color had a deep brown hue at the shell edges and BD hoops. The images of your kit appear to have very dark brown, or even black, shell edges/BD hoops.

The kit you have appears to be in very good condition and capable of all the quality sound characteristics that Renown drums possess. $1,200.00 for an excellent sounding and looking kit....that's a super deal in my book.

Thanks for the valuable input...

Doug

nice kit mate, I dont know much about this later gretsch stuff but I know it sounds good.
Nice bike too!!

Hmmm. I had a Catalina Birch kit from around 2003 or 2004 that I sold with that exact finish. Gretsch called it Vintage Burst.

Not sure what to tell you on your questions, but they do look sweet!!!

I hope you don't mind 14vison.
Since the topic of Kaman Music came up here I thought it may be of interest to those that don't already know - to have a look at this link. It's a nice-to-know....for those of us that like this "history" stuff.....interesting:

cut-n-paste to browser:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fender+buys+Kaman:+acquisition+creates+$700+million+player+with...-a0172381291

If your drum finish is a 'prototype' ....I'd hang on to them. You not only have a beautiful drum kit = sound & looks, but it may be unique. A very nice looking drum kit. And I know that photos don't do justice to the finish.........they're alway better live.

The finish you have is "Vintage Burst". It was originally a Catalina Birch finish but was expanded to the Renowns as a prototype. See my Gretsch Cat Birch in vintage burst below.

Attachments

• Close Up Tom.JPG
    Close Up Tom.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,193
Back