Foot Pedal :: Too Painful

Kappy

Hey, everyone! I have a quick question:

I've got a Tama kit and when I play my foot tends to get serious pain in the tibia's ankle joint area after 5min straight playing and I cannot figure out what it is.

Is it the angle of the pedal? Seat posture? Foot posture? Don't know!

I've been drumming for three months and just really got to the point that I'm starting songs which require more endurance which is probably why I am feeling pain in the past week or two.

Any help would be ace. :)

Let me open my x-ray app and take a look. Injuries are not to be fooled with. Rest or see a doctor

Let me open my x-ray app and take a look. Injuries are not to be fooled with. Rest or see a doctor

I just started this week with actual songs which requires more than the regular minute or two slow practice which is why I think it may be more of a peddle angle or stamina issue. My foot's fine when I'm not drumming and I often walk around so I think I'd notice if something was super amiss!

Try playing heel up and don't move your ankle so much? My hole leg is involved in my kick stroke usually, and the ankle has never been a stress-point.

Find a teacher to show you how to play properly---if you expect to be a drummer in 3 months you are obviously expecting way too much---I have been playing guitar for 35 years, and drums for about 3---get over your ego, and take some lessons!!!!!!

Try playing heel up and don't move your ankle so much? My hole leg is involved in my kick stroke usually, and the ankle has never been a stress-point.

Ok, I looked up some vids to see what you're talking about and will ask my teacher about them when I have my next lesson so he can coach me through it in person. Thanks for the advice!

Normally my foot's not gotten tired so this could be new to me having to practice longer due to lessons becoming more intense.

With 3 months in that's probably the best way to go, I'm still a noob myself and I only have a year worth of drumming.

Yea. I work two jobs so I go in every other weekend so it would be next weekend that I get a chance to fix the foot problem which is a bummer. :( But I can try and mess around with my kit's set up, distance and all that, to see if it helps alleviate some pain as well as try and find a foot method that's comparatively "easy" to mess around with until then!

Tbh, I don't think my teacher ever bought it up because I've been doing pretty good in his class with no pain complaints there, which is what makes me think part of it is my personal throne or pedal set up compiled with me possibly being too close or too far.

Still, it's good to learn the proper methods on the plus side this made me do research and see that there were various methods to begin with! Beginner's mistake I guess; don't know until you know and better late than never! I don't think three months is horribly late though. :')

Could be that your foot is at too much of an incline (heel too low).

As you do not have this issue on your teacher's kit, it probably relates to your setup at home. You want your feet to extend naturally; no kinks or twists in the ankle.

Next time you go, note how your teacher's kit is arranged. Especially bass drum, and pedal position, in relation to snare, and hi-hat.

As you do not have this issue on your teacher's kit, it probably relates to your setup at home. You want your feet to extend naturally; no kinks or twists in the ankle.

Next time you go, note how your teacher's kit is arranged. Especially bass drum, and pedal position, in relation to snare, and hi-hat.

Ok! I have a class this weekend, I think, so I'll be able to look at it there. When you say that you want the foot to extend naturally, do you mean that the knee should be at a 90º*and the foot's distal tibia (where it bends) to be at around the same angle? Or in a "flat" posture?

Are there any good reference pics of how the foot should be resting when not in play?

The pedal setup may contribute, but its less important than seat height. How you sit is much more likely to be the culprit to pedal technique problems, insufficiencies, and injuries than how you operate the pedal itself (although that matters a great deal as well!).

When thinking about technique, think about what movements your body can make. The ankle acts like a hinge. the subtalar joints below the ankle allow for LIMITED side to side movement. The knee works like a hinge (no help to operate the pedal, but very helpful in allowing the foot to stay on the footboard as you play) The hip allows up and down movement (great for heel-toe) technique and rotation (great for swivel technique).

I cover all of this, along with illustrations in Anatomy of Drumming (sitting guide and throne guide, too)

What kind of pain are you having? sharp, shooting, dull, achey, stabbing, itching, etc? Does it persist after you play? Do you notice it when you aren't playing? What else could you be doing that could stress out the ankle?

My **guess** based on what little you've said here and common errors is that you are trying to muscle the pedal instead of relying on gravity and rebound to do most of the work for you. Only at very high speeds should playing the pedals feel like work - otherwise it should literally be easier than a walk in the park.

The human body is designed to employ tension to achieve its movement goals. Adding tension when it isn't needed disturbs movement, in general. Flexing unneeded muscles can build up stress on a particular structure, like the ankle, causing pain and dysfunction.

If you submit video I can say more.

The pedal setup may contribute, but its less important than seat height. How you sit is much more likely to be the culprit to pedal technique problems, insufficiencies, and injuries than how you operate the pedal itself (although that matters a great deal as well!).

When thinking about technique, think about what movements your body can make. The ankle acts like a hinge. the subtalar joints below the ankle allow for LIMITED side to side movement. The knee works like a hinge (no help to operate the pedal, but very helpful in allowing the foot to stay on the footboard as you play) The hip allows up and down movement (great for heel-toe) technique and rotation (great for swivel technique).

I cover all of this, along with illustrations in Anatomy of Drumming (sitting guide and throne guide, too)

What kind of pain are you having? sharp, shooting, dull, achey, stabbing, itching, etc? Does it persist after you play? Do you notice it when you aren't playing? What else could you be doing that could stress out the ankle?

My **guess** based on what little you've said here and common errors is that you are trying to muscle the pedal instead of relying on gravity and rebound to do most of the work for you. Only at very high speeds should playing the pedals feel like work - otherwise it should literally be easier than a walk in the park.

The human body is designed to employ tension to achieve its movement goals. Adding tension when it isn't needed disturbs movement, in general. Flexing unneeded muscles can build up stress on a particular structure, like the ankle, causing pain and dysfunction.

If you submit video I can say more.

Technique:
I tried learning some of the foot techniques that were given here, but am having a difficult time and that could be due to me not knowing how to move my body, seating, etc. So hopefully going to my teacher this weekend will help resolve any issues pertaining to my foot regarding technique!

Pain:
The pain kind of builds up after a minute or two and it's kind of sharp and dull at the same time? "Throbbing" is the best way to put it, but it stops as soon as I stop. It's mostly located in the inferior extensor r., superior extensor r. and extensor hallucis longus in that order.

Video:
I'll check out your book and be sure to send a video when I can! Thanks so much for the help!

I'm also going to try and get an experienced drummer, who lives next door, to check out my setup etc sometime this weekend.

When you say that you want the foot to extend naturally, do you mean that the knee should be at a 90º*and the foot's distal tibia (where it bends) to be at around the same angle? Or in a "flat" posture?

By foot extending naturally, I mean straight forward (neutral). No twisting (inversion/eversion), or rolling (pronation/supination) of the foot.

If you were experiencing discomfort all the time - playing on any kit - I would guess it is an issue of technique. As you only experience on your kit, I am guessing it is a setup issue. Probably poor pedal placement, seat height, or a combination of both.

Re pedal and seat setup, this is a great place to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyfV3n_nkFM

By foot extending naturally, I mean straight forward (neutral). No twisting (inversion/eversion), or rolling (pronation/supination) of the foot.

If you were experiencing discomfort all the time - playing on any kit - I would guess it is an issue of technique. As you only experience on your kit, I am guessing it is a setup issue. Probably poor pedal placement, seat height, or a combination of both.

Re pedal and seat setup, this is a great place to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyfV3n_nkFM

I'm actually messing around with the throne and I think I've found a position that's decent. Legs are a little above 90º since I read somewhere that between that and 110º*is decent.

I'm wondering about foot pattern too. What's a good technique that's good for beginners? Like I said in other posts: my teacher will be going over it with me this weekend, but I'd still like your guys' advice and resources. :)

Follow your teacher's advice. They are in the best position to give you feedback relevant to your skill level, and needs.

For a secondary resource, get this dvd.

Back