The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Re: Buddy Rich on Bonham

nhzoso said:
Ahhh Buddy Rich, the great drummer with a low life attitude towards people.. What a shmuck. I hope in his day someone actually stood up to him and put him in his place. Maybe even dotted his eye for him. I guarantee he would have remembered Bonham in a whole new light had he said that to his face.

I guarantee Buddy would kick Bonham's ass.

photon said:
As great as Bonham was, personally I don't think he is in the same league as Buddy...

That's exactly right! No one else was either.

NUTHA JASON said:
i beg to differ. the slang in the midlands of england circa 1970...going down meant it was going well...think of swallowing a pill or drinking a pint... it's going down. just like heavy and phat are compliments these days too.

according to all sources i've come across kieth admired bonzo and they were mates.

j

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/4403/bonham.html (bottom of the 3rd paragraph is where I read this)

"They'll go over like a Lead Zepplin" was what Moon actually said, not "go down like a lead zepplin"

The comment seemed to be negative, but I have heard people use the phrse "went down well" so I guess you could well be correct.

NUTHA JASON said:
i think the arguement is a moot point. we will never know...and they were different styles.

btw, bonham and moon were friends and 'going down like a lead balloon is a compliment. when a gig goes down it means it is going well. git down ya'll. kieth could see the ingredients were all there for a super group....he knew they would be a sensation.

j
Thanks for clarifying that, Nutha. I was always under the impression that that statement (by moon) had a negative connotation, and that he never really regarded them as a band that would make it (until they actually made it, of course).

I can see JB being a fan of BR but not the other way around. I love both drummers and I really don't think BR cared too much about JB's talent. Lots of JB grooves and style cam from Jazz. My flame suit is on...go ahead.

intooder said:
Thanks for clarifying that, Nutha. I was always under the impression that that statement (by moon) had a negative connotation, and that he never really regarded them as a band that would make it (until they actually made it, of course).

It is a negative connotation. Don't take it as truth just because Nutha said it. I've never heard/read anywhere where that comment was construed as positive.

When Keith heard who Page had hired as a band, he laughed and said they'll go down like a lead Zeppelin. How anyone thinks that's a positive statement is beyond me.

In " A thunder of drums " the biography on John Bonham it was said that Bonham looked up to Buddy and idolized him. At one gig in New York i think they said, Bonham did a solo that was based on Buddy Rich with Big snare roll and all that. I personally think bonham would beat him in a solo battle because bonham has the speed in the hands, the feet he has the power and hes very original not saying Buddy Rich wasnt.

bonham990 said:
In " A thunder of drums " the biography on John Bonham it was said that Bonham looked up to Buddy and idolized him. At one gig in New York i think they said, Bonham did a solo that was based on Buddy Rich with Big snare roll and all that. I personally think bonham would beat him in a solo battle because bonham has the speed in the hands, the feet he has the power and hes very original not saying Buddy Rich wasnt.

Carnegie Hall, 1969.

well Keith Moon recorded with Page before bonham was even in the picture, so i would think that upon moon finding out that page started a band with bonham he would be maybe a little frustrated and i wouldnt think that with moon, competing for gigs against zep, would be too quick to compliment.

Re: Mini-Vid - Buddy Rich Stick Trick

great video man. i will try to learn that trick. its really cool

nice one derrick. I have allways wonderd how he did that. Good job

Ah thank you so much! I've been puzzling over that one for months!

thats really helpful, thx a lot.
how do you like the carbohsticks? did you use them because they are so loud when you hit them together, or just because you use them normally?
thx

Great video, I would have liked a backsticking one more though.
I see you have a 'technique master' title now. Well deserved.

Has anyone seen the post on the Official Buddy Rich site written by Cathy Rich? Someone was selling rare cds and dvds of Buddy Rich on Legends.com but i guess there was no agreement with the Rich family, so she told the guy to stop selling them. In a way i agree,but if your familiar with the slow way Cathy runs the site,and how slow she releases New /Old Buddy material. I mean if she just bought out alot of the footage from the people who have the tapes, she wouldnt be running into people trying to make money from her father. Does anyone agree?

http://www.jazzprofessional.com/interviews/Buddy Rich_3.htm

heres a bunch of interviews with buddy rich

alot of people think hes arrogant, a jerk, egotistical and so on

the only thing i can say is his interviews are interesting because he says whats on his mind, id rather hear out a person who calls things as they see them than someone who is just paying lip service,giving the "right" answer as opposed to the "real" answer to questions, be it good or bad.

Back