Decal sticker removal from bass drum head??

toddmc

Gold Member
So has anyone here had any experience with removing a decal sticker (ie covers the entire surface) from a bass drum head?
Just wondering if it's possible to remove the sticker without damaging the heads surface and preferably without removing/ defacing the head brand logo underneath.
(A quick search revealed plenty of threads on where to buy them but none on how to remove)!

I would google, "how to remove stickers" .

If you knew the type of adhesive, you could even google that.

I'm thinking it may involve submerging the head in a liquid.

Sounds like a big job. I use a hair dryer to remove stickers. You can soften the glue and peel back the sticker. This works great on most stickers. just don't heat it to much. However you have yourself a huge sticker and it might come off in pieces and even leave glue behind.

I googled glue removal the other day. One of the ways is vinegar, WD-40 is another.

You could just peel off what comes off, and then attack the remaining residual glue with Goo Gone and an old towel.

However, if you're talking about a full-head sticker, I think the amount of work you're going to do isn't worth it. I'd go out and get a new head to replace it and not waste the time.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Bo's probably right about it not being worth the hassle and just buy a new one but wanted to see if anyone had come across a magical, easy way to do it first.
Will definitely try out your suggestions though to try to save some cash as I have to do this to 2 bass drums : (

Thanks for the replies guys.
Bo's probably right about it not being worth the hassle and just buy a new one but wanted to see if anyone had come across a magical, easy way to do it first.
Will definitely try out your suggestions though to try to save some cash as I have to do this to 2 bass drums : (

I'm guessing since you're in Australia, you probably get raked over the coals on the price like you do for everything else? That sucks man.

I'm guessing since you're in Australia, you probably get raked over the coals on the price like you do for everything else? That sucks man.

Yeah pretty much mate (add on the mega-cost of freight fees to everything you buy in addition to the so-called "Australia tax").
It was something I wanted to do at the time though so it was my choice to go this route.
Now just need to figure out the best way to sell (will probably take out the triggers and mesh heads, re-fit the mylar heads and sell as an acoustic shell pack).

...I think the amount of work you're going to do isn't worth it. I'd go out and get a new head to replace it and not waste the time.

Ditto. The amount of time spent posting the question, waiting for answers that, while sincere, are mostly conjecture and ... well it took you longer than installing a new head that won't look like a mess in a week or month.

Back