Sound check: 22" Zildjian K Custom Dry Light Ride

wow, that is dry alright. i've own a few rides but never one that dry. nice recording, and your kumu drums sound fantastic.

its always nice to record new additions, gives a third person perspective on their sound that I don't hear behind the kit.

That thing sounds very hard to work with. Very choked sound.

That thing sounds very hard to work with. Very choked sound.

Quite the contrary, it's very easy to work with. Since it's so dry, the wash always stays in control even when you lay into it, and the crashes get out of the way quickly. Great for quiet playing, especially when miced.

Yea, it's probably just my head that can't get around those ultra-dry rides. I play with wash so much that it's shocking to my brain when it isn't there. My usual rides are really open and big, one is 24 the other 21... So you see how there's some adjustment.

I also feel really exposed when I can't hide anything under some wash and each tap on the cymbal is like a book hitting the floor flat.

I love the sound of that ride! I have been looking for a sound like that. Well done sir.

MM

I too love that ride. Reminds me of the original Sabian Jack Dejohnette series.

I love the sound of that ride! I have been looking for a sound like that. Well done sir.

MM

well there's the old trick too - a strip or two of tape on the underside of your ride can dry it out like that, if you don't wish to buy a new cymbal.

Back