Favorite metal drummer?

Definitley Martin Lopez from Opeth. What a leg-end! Such a unique style for a metal drummer, insanely fast and tight double pedalling etc. but such a great feel too, sort of latin jazz influences in his playing. So relaxed, just awesome.
Its a shame he had to leave Opeth, i dont think they'll ever be able to find anyone so versatile.

Id seriously check out some stuff if you haven't heard it. If you wanna hear some of his full on metal playing listen to a song like 'Deliverence', for his more laid back playing theres loads of great tunes from the Damnation album which is all pretty soft stuff, 'In my time of need' is a great example.

Anyway, rant over, what does everyone else think?

Chris Adler of Lamb of God....before he came along, Dave Lombardo.

Chris Adler of Lamb of God
Yep my favorite too. He has some really cool fills (now you've got something to die for pops into my mind), good beats and his double peddle chops are great.

Steve Flynn of Atheist, especially on the album Unquestionable Presence. He and Tony Choy were the rhythm section from hell on there, and there's even a drum and bass only recording of Mother Man on the reissue to drive that point home. One of the only really technical bands I listen to anymore.

My fav. metal drummer is:mike bordin,chris alder,lars ulrick(no one said him),

Does Danny Carey count? If he doesn't I'd have to go with Lars.

Two ''stock'' choices, I know, I just like the parts they come up with.

Vinnie Paul not the most techinal but the guy just has cool chops I also like Nick Menza the old drummer from Megadeth another cat with cool chops don't. know why Dave M. fired him but he goes through musicians like socks LOL

Bonzolead

Re: Favorite metal drummer? prog-metal

I like Mike Portnoy and Mark Zonder but that's just the love of prog showing, I think...
I saw Dave Lombardo at a club in the early nineties and he's amazing. I don't know many other drummers. OK, Chris Alder, he was great to see live, too. Any other suggestions? (not too many please!)

Danny Carey is in my opinion the guy who's done the most impressive and original drumming in the whole genre... I am no metal expert... although in the late 80's early 90's I was very into it...

Carey's drumming is technically flawless, challenging, with a very unique sound and concept that fits the music so well... he's a HUGE part of TOOL's sound... all that rocking hard... totally outside clichés... to do that in ANY style is an amazing achievement.. if I were a kid growing up today I'd be a total Danny Carey Groupie... ha, ha, ha.

Derek Roddy is definitely up there, quite probably Andols Herrick too. Impossibility of reason was really something else. And I'll probably get flogged for saying this but Mr Joey Jordison is really great. I'm not saying he's the best, fastest or anything like that but I really do like his feel and power. Great drummer IMO.

I'd have to say Andols gets it though.

Sean Reinert, Bobby Jarzombek, Derek Roddy have been mentioned but I have to second them. Bobby has got a great personality, no ego, and I respect him for that.

It's pretty difficult to pick a favourite, it depends a lot on what I'm listening to at the moment.

Back