Amateur Mistakes

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Let's start a list of things amateurs do, you know, like playing a fill every 4 bars, so the newer drummers here can read them and try to avoid them.
I'll start.
Ending every fill with a crash.
I think it's cool to not "end" a fill with a crash, but just go right back to the beat.
Any others?

How are these mistakes? Beginners are learning and they'll eventually learn to branch out and not do rolls every four measures. But sometimes it's the right time for rolls.

I think ending a roll with a crash isn't a mistake. It seems like a pet peeve of yours.

Sorry buddy

Hold the drum stick with their index finger pointed straight up.

Playing way-too-repetitive beats.

Trade drum sets without doing enough research first.

:D

LM201 you're right, they're not really mistakes, how about amateur pitfalls?

Trade drum sets without doing enough research first

hahahahahahahahaha...

good one man!

im glad we can laugh about it now!

i agree with the fills every 4 bars..

and one of mine is if its a five piece kit, they always are like...4 on snare, 4 on each rack tom, and 4 on the floor, then a crash...

annoys the heck out of me....its just not creative enough....but then again...they are just learning..

and i dont look at them as being mistakes, just they havent branched out yet..

Alex

learning stick twirling before stick control.
/QUOTE]

I can't even twirl a stick.. I've been trying for so long. I must be doing something wrong because it hurts super bad

Valuing crazy sick beats and insane fills over steady time and dynamics. Crazy sick beats are so awesome and insane fills are even better, but you can't put the cart before the horse.

Amateurs... or beginners? There's a difference!

I think overplaying in general applies to both. The difference is, with a beginner, there's a possibility they'll grow out of that trait. But an amateur will overplay forever, and won't get paid very often as a result.

Bermuda

Well, but these are amateurs we're talking about. They're not expected to play up to any other level than an amateur one, right? So if they're having a good time as amateurs, who really wants to spoil it for them?
Now the "newer drummers" may aspire to be professional musicans, which is a whole other thing.

• Playing with bad technique, bad posture and insufficent hearing protection, causing severe pain or permanent injuries.
  • Overtightening the nuts and bolts on your hardware, causing equipment failures.
  • Overplaying cymbals and drums, causing some more equipment failures.
  • Substituting excessive muffling for tuning.
  • Skipping past the basics, and jumping on the double pedals on day one.

I think not knowing when to hold back. Some drummers want to do "Neil Peart or Buddy Rich" fills on every song to show off and not realize it could really damage the song as to what others hear.

A song may only need basic timekeeping duties and not have good spots for 3 or 4 measure fills, crashes, etc.

my 2 cents!

HUGE Mistake:

Hitting your crash cymbals at a perpendicular angle.

Then complaining when your cymbal breaks

- "Iron Cobra VS Eliminator, WHICH ONE?"
- Using the arm more than the wrist.
- Afraid of changing speed on the hi-hat or ride.
- Not hitting the bass when crashing.

Hello,

Mistakes are part of life, nothing wrong with them. We shall take it as lessons learned also as areas of improvement, makes life more interesting and less boring.

Cheers,

I personally think that the word "mistakes" is some kind of misleading.
Generally making mistakes in music/arts always involved an antithesis for me. There just occurs a lack of knowledge and experience in my humble opinion.

Purely musically, things like technique or certain expressions should never be considered "wrong", "false", "bad" or whatever, it should rather justified with crudity or the (already mentioned) lack of knowledge/experience.
With time one learns, experiences and finally earns the ability to decide what to do, to chose from a libary.

Broadening the ken will automatically banish this lack of knowledge/experience and at the same time - and this I find interesting - it seems to cause more insufficiency or at least it makes one realize more imperfection.

Taken en masse I think that the existence of the word and meaning of "mistake" combined with arts like music is a fast moving and inconvenient expression. It may mislead and make people think that it is a taboo at the same time.

Nevertheless I guess we know what is meant by "mistake" in this particular case. Just my thought when I read it... :)

Karl

Back