Sparkle vs Natural Finishes

I have a '82 Tama Superstar kit with the Super Mahogany finish. It's a great kit and I used to get tons of compliments on the finish at the end of the night when all the lights were on.
They never showed up much though under normal stage lights. I still have the kit, and will probably never sell them.

The last two kits I've bought have been sparkle finish. They sound as good or better than the vintage kit and they stand out when the smallest amount of light is cast on them.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

If you pay for them I'll take one of each.

I've really come to appreciate sparkle finishes over the last few years. Diamond/White and Black Sparkle are my favourites.

I like both. I have a natural finish Gretsch set and a solid (charcoal metallic) wrapped Pearl set. Peace and goodwill.

Attachments

• 100_0167 (640x436).jpg
    100_0167 (640x436).jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 826
  • 100_0204.JPG
    100_0204.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 840
I like both. My eyes are attracted to things that sparkle, but wood finishes are beautiful if they are done right. I have seen sloppy factory jobs on some of the satin finishes. The stain has to be applied correctly or it does not work for me.

Let me ramble on by saying that I have a real personal issue deciding on just one particular finish. I like soooo many these days. Shucks, save your money and buy more than one drum set.

I love both natural and sparkle kits. I used to dislike sparkle kits because I thought they were too "old school".
The sparkle kits have really grown on me though and now I want one!...lol.

Silver, black, grey, copper and champagne being some of my faves.

My kit is in "Red Maple" and its a beauty too...

finishrug002.jpg

Another vote for natural finishes and sparkles; I like both. I'm not partial to wraps (just not my thing), but a well-integrated, sparkle-in-lacquer finish, depending on the colour, really works for me. Of course, there is something classic about natural wood grain so that works for me too, however, as others have mentioned, I find sparkle finishes stand out better on stage.

I like everything that's well one actually.
That's looking at kits.

What gets me drooling is Black Glass Glitter and Red Sparkle.
I have both, so that's great haha!

I also love Natural Maple Ludwig kits, and solid, nicely done Black on just about ANY brand.

I like having wrapped kits because I can use "the good stuff" for shows, and I don't have to worry about the finish as much.

Also, in the event I wanted a special size not offered, I could just get it done, matching the edges, interior seal and shell ply size. I just get whatever parts I need and get what I want.

Yes - I notice that when I take 'flash' photos of my sparkle kits. The flash cancels out the sparkle finish.

I've had both and I like both.
However at the moment I'm down to 1 kit and it's silver sparkle. It often just looks white in pictures or on stage.

Nice! Although I'm a wood fan to the core, nothing says "This is a rock band" more than a chrome kit.
They're chrome over Maple, so they are wood. The only non-wrapped kit I have is a Yamaha Tour Custom, which I think are birch\ mahogany, so it's hard to compare. The Yamahas tend to have a little more attack, while the Ludwigs seem to have a little more sustain. Apples and Oranges...

Natural looks better to me, but for stage purposes the sparkle is probably better. Depends on where you'll be playing them most I guess.

I love the Cherry Sparkle lacquer finish from Mapex, it's not what I went to buy, I went to buy a transparant natural stain finish. But, they had this Cherry Sparkle on the floor and ...the rest is history!!

Attachments

• DSC04691_(Large).JPG
    DSC04691_(Large).JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 2,143
Sparkle, actually Glass Glitters. I got My Ludwig Classic Maples in Silver Glass Glitter. The glass glitter has more "sparkle" than straight ahead sparkle finishes.
Gold Glass Glitter is also pretty killer.

Sparkle, actually Glass Glitters. I got My Ludwig Classic Maples in Silver Glass Glitter. The glass glitter has more "sparkle" than straight ahead sparkle finishes.
Gold Glass Glitter is also pretty killer.

Do you find Ludwig's silver glass glitter to have somewhat of a ginger ale tint to it?

I like most finishes but the sound of the drums is always paramount. I'm particularly fond of this "blue glass" FinishPly.

DSC_0426-2.jpg

Dennis

Back