just picked up a mapex meridian birch

It's too late right now to play it. I just got done tuning it, and have some more fine tuning to do tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I feel about it when I get more time to play with it. I must say that it just amazingly beautiful though. I went with the honey amber colour, and I just love the finish.

This is a bad picture because I took it with my phone. I think my wife has the camera so I'll post up another shot after she gets home from work.

So far I'm really liking the kit. In the reviews I've read on it a few people didn't like the snare. However once I tuned it, and gave it a whirl I found it to be exactly the sound I was looking for. So I guess you can never really trust some of the reviews. Still trying to get the sound I'm looking for out of the toms. However I think I'm going to have to get different heads to get the exact sound I like. I tend to like coated heads on my toms for some reason. Overall it's nice and punchy, yet easy to control the tones I'm trying to achieve. So far the only downside is the B8 cymbals I got to go with it lol. Budget was tight so that was all that could afford. Over time I plan on replacing them with some meinl cymbals. I really love the sound that JP Gaster gets out of his cymbals, so I'll probably copy his cymbal set up in the long run.

2009-08-18110204.jpg

This is a bad picture because I took it with my phone. I think my wife has the camera so I'll post up another shot after she gets home from work.

So far I'm really liking the kit. In the reviews I've read on it a few people didn't like the snare. However once I tuned it, and gave it a whirl I found it to be exactly the sound I was looking for. So I guess you can never really trust some of the reviews. Still trying to get the sound I'm looking for out of the toms. However I think I'm going to have to get different heads to get the exact sound I like. I tend to like coated heads on my toms for some reason. Overall it's nice and punchy, yet easy to control the tones I'm trying to achieve. So far the only downside is the B8 cymbals I got to go with it lol. Budget was tight so that was all that could afford. Over time I plan on replacing them with some meinl cymbals. I really love the sound that JP Gaster gets out of his cymbals, so I'll probably copy his cymbal set up in the long run.

2009-08-18110204.jpg

Congratulation :)
I like your kit. And yes Mapex has some punchy sounds. Almost year ago friend of mine literally pushed me to buy Mapex birch snare and when I got it I was surprised how punchy, still mellow it is. Very nice sound for the money spent.

Back