My Yamaha Stage Custom

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
Hey all! It's been five years since I first joined drummerworld, and in that time I've never posted a picture of my gear. Now that I have a camera, I thought I'd share my weapons of mass percussion with the world. Here are the specifications:

Drums:
Yamaha Stage Custom in Cranberry Red. 100% birch shells. 10x8 rack tom, 14x14 floor tom, 20x17 bass drum.
(I used to mount the rack tom off of a cymbal stand, but the stand started to rattle, so I switched to the tom holder. I've noticed no decrease in the resonance or sustain of the tom.)

14x5.5 Ludwig Acrolite snare drum with wood batter hoop. Keystone badge, date stamped July 8th, 1967.

Cymbals: 14 inch hi-hats: Avedis Mastersound bottom, A Custom top. 15 inch Avedis thin crash, 18 inch K Dark Crash medium-thin, 20 inch K Custom Medium ride with 10 inch brass chain for sizzle effect.

Sticks (all wood tip): Vic Firth Extreme 5B, SD4, SD9, Steve Jordan signature, jazz brushes, SD12 mallets.

Heads: Remo.10x8: coated Ambassador batter, clear Ambassador resonant.

14x14: coated Emperor batter, coated Ambassador reso.

20x17: clear Powerstroke 3 batter, coated Ambassador resonant (felt strips on both heads for muffling, 5 inch offset hole on front head, nothing inside).

Snare drum: coated Ambassador batter, hazy Diplomat resonant, 1/2 piece of Moon Gel for muffling.

Hardware: Various brands; all cymbal stands fitted with Drum Workshop boom arms. Tama Iron Cobra bass drum pedal w/ offset cam, Yamaha HS700 hi-hat stand.

drums_4-1.jpg

drums_3-1.jpg

drums_2-1.jpg

drums_1-1.jpg

Nice tight kit. Now after 5 years...let's hear you play em'.

I would love to post some clips of my playing, but I currently lack any sort of recording gear. However, one of my friends has an Olympus portable digital recorder that I could possibly use. We'll see what happens!

I do like to use Moongel, but only in small amounts (1 piece max.) and only on the snare drum. I like my toms to resonate freely unless I'm in a controlled studio situation where the overtones need to be minimized. With the coated heads on top and bottom, the floor tom sounds really warm. I'm thinking of putting a coated Ambassador reso on the rack tom as well.

Back