The old debate: Applying wrap to drums with glue or high-bond tape?

vyacheslav

Hello,

I would appreciate your opinion on this subject. I have always been told (and accepted) that wrap should be glued on 100%, so the wrap becomes "one" with the shell and can vibrate and resonate as part of the shell. I have also been told (and accepted) that if the wrap is only held on with tape, it's like wrapping the shell in a blanket and it muffles the shell.

I recently read a good article on Jammin' Sam's website. They sell wrap, among other things. The used to recommend the glue method (for 17 years), but now recommend the tape method. Check out the article if you have some time; it's pretty informative.
http://www.jamminsam.com/index.php/featured-articles/benefits-of-tape-vs-glue.html

Another benefit of tape they mention is that is easier to re-wrap drums if you choose too, because you won't be pulling off (potentially) a layer of wood with the wrap. I have re-wrapped cheaper kits that were held on with tape and I found the tape a real pain in the a** to get off, even with Goof-Off, Acetone and the like. I still needed to sand them. So I don't know if I buy that it's "easy", but it is "easier" than a fully glued wrap.

Finally, from a discussion at the Pearl Drummer's Forum, I have learned that Pearl uses the tape method on ALL series of their drums, including the Masters and Reference series. They do it to allow the wrap some "wiggle" room as it ages and goes through temperature shifts, etc. Pearl certainly knows a lot about making drums, so they must do this for a reason.

Any thoughts from the forum at large?

Tape all the way.

If you're concerned about the shell resonating, you wouldn't be wrapping it in plastic the first place, you'd finish the wood, or glue on a finish ply of wood.

The glue they use for plastic wraps (contact cement) has wonderful vibration killing properties, that's a big reason why SAM and PEARL/others have gone tape, plus the bubble/wrinkle issues with glue.

^^ good points^^ I am planning a wrap job on my vintage Pearl W-5 kit. Tape all the way!!

The glue they use for plastic wraps (contact cement) has wonderful vibration killing properties, that's a big reason why SAM and PEARL/others have gone tape, plus the bubble/wrinkle issues with glue.

Hi Les..... what about the way ol' John Good of DW does it.. ?? (a.k.a. "Juan Bueno" to the factory workers.)

You have 16 to 20 lugs with 2 screws a piece. Maybe some tom holders, a snare mechanism, and butt. Badges and an air vent. All of these are holding the wrap to the drum and glue is not needed. And as was mentioned if you were worried about the resonance that much you wouldn't buy a wrap.

Just tape it and all will be fine. If you ever want to remove the wrap it won't be a problem.
The sound difference between glue and tape on a wrap is unnoticeable.
I laugh everyday at the nonsense that the marketing people from drum companies have spewed out over the years.
It all starts like this,
A manufacturer states that they glue their wrap instead of taping because the glue helps the wrap become part of the shell and resonate better.
Then all of the manufacturers start glueing instead of taping so that they can say the same thing.
None of them ever offer any real prof that that glueing of wrap is better.
The same claims have been made about virgin bass drums and suspension tom mounts.
It is all marketing nonsense and it bores me to death.

I love Jammin Sam here is a snare and a woofer that I did to match my DW kit.
Very easy to do and if later down the road you want to change the color of your kit you won't have a problem getting the old finish off.......

chromeMikeVelazquez1LG.jpg

chromeMikeVelazquez2LG.jpg

I love Jammin Sam here is a snare and a woofer that I did to match my DW kit.
Very easy to do and if later down the road you want to change the color of your kit you won't have a problem getting the old finish off.......
]

Mike.. you did that with tape ?????/ That looks great bro ! Show the seams buddy. : )

It all depends on the way the tape is used. I really don't know if Pearl wraps their Masters MCX drums as they did several years ago but, you could actually see and feel bubbles from the air pockets that were trapped between the shell and the wrap. On some kits it was very evident. They would use one piece of tape just at the seam of the wrap and that was it. It was never taped in several locations as it should have been. Actually the more I think about it, Pearl did away with the wraps on their MCX drums, now they're all lacquer finishes to the best of my knowledge. I don't have any problems with the wraps on my DW, Ludwig or vintage Pearl kits... so far.

If I would have my choice, I would probably go with applying the wrap with glue. I can't see myself ever wanting to change the wrap on any of my drums and if I did, I would sell them first.

Dennis

The glue they use for plastic wraps (contact cement) has wonderful vibration killing properties

Complete nonsense. In fact one of the nice things about contact cement is that it goes on incredibly thinly and has about as little impact as possible on what it's gluing.

If you go look at the high-end boutique builders, they will amost always glue their wrap.

Back