Justin Bieber's Drumming...

I'm pretty sure I know a kid who plays... EXACTLY... like that. Just not open-handed. I wonder if Bieber is his hero...

Well, it's PRETTY obvious he doesn't care that much about drums.

I concur... bleh!

I would be fine about him not being too good... But the way he throws sticks, jumps up on his stool because he's the king... His terrible ego and the fact that he receives so much praise for 1 beat and 1 fill bugs me more than the fact that he's not good.

Ew. Even his playing style makes me want to kill him.

Well, he's certainly not a good drummer, at least in that video... He just looks like the average beginner with a good teacher and a beginner's sense of rhythm, and timing. Give him a few more years and a better sense of playing musically and he could be pretty good. Some of the snare work is fairly decent even now.

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about him. I've heard the name but that's it.

Well, he's certainly not a good drummer, at least in that video... He just looks like the average beginner with a good teacher and a beginner's sense of rhythm, and timing. Give him a few more years and a better sense of playing musically and he could be pretty good. Some of the snare work is fairly decent even now.

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about him. I've heard the name but that's it.

Well, his main focus seems to be... "singing", so I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Let me firstly say that I cannot stand Justin Bieber, and obvious he's at best a mediocre beginner drummer.

However, do bear in mind that he probably doesn't choose to play drums all the time - he played a bit at some point, and his management, PR company, marketing company etc etc know that teenage girls like him more and think he's really talented if he plays drums every time he goes on TV. I'm sure he has a massive ego, but it must be pretty hard not to if every time you hit a drum people scream and shout about how amazing you are, and it's not like he has time to practice is it?

God I hate being reasonable...why can't I just bear a grudge... :)

Dear God, listen to that snare!

I think that if Beibs actually dedicated his time to becoming good at drums (his starting instrument), we'd eventually see a talented young man taking good playing to the masses.

What a waste.

I would be fine about him not being too good... But the way he throws sticks, jumps up on his stool because he's the king... His terrible ego and the fact that he receives so much praise for 1 beat and 1 fill bugs me more than the fact that he's not good.

I agree, i have nothing against someone not being good at drums. It's the praise that bothers me.

It's the praise that bothers me.

Much like Barker or Jordison who carry a fair amount of criticism for the same reasons......Bieber is not responsible for the praise heaped on him by mindless teenage girls though.

Blame an industry that is content to allow mass marketed drivel to substitue for quality....and even further than that, blame a listening public that is content to lap up said drivel without consideration . ;-)

Justin B's overachieved significantly when you think of the unregognised talent out there but that's just how things are.

He might not be a huge talent but he has talent. Apparetly he started with drums at a very early age but it's hard to imagine he has much chance to practice these days. I'm envious of his happy confidence performing in arenas ... I'd be needing a change of underwear.

I don't blame him for the hubris of the record industry and their publicity machines that have increasingly pushed the market away from artistry towards pretty young things aimed at the teeny market and funded by indulgent parents. He benefitted from The Machine by being the right face and the right voice at the right time and good luck to him.

Next thing ya know we will see a replica Bieber DW kit for sale in Guitar Center or Zildjian will let him create his own cymbal line. lol

Next thing ya know we will see a replica Bieber DW kit for sale in Guitar Center or Zildjian will let him create his own cymbal line. lol

Then that will be the end of acoustic kits as we know it and we may all have to re-vote on that other thread titled "will electric kits ever take over acoustic kits". If some major manufacturer put his name on a kit then the apocalypse is definitely upon us. :D

I know its not his fault but he is the victim of his own success in this case.

And, Justin, if you or the guy behind you (who is clearly lying to you) are reading this... cut your groove down to half as fast and I'll bet you sound twice as good (not that it can be salvaged but it will be better ;) Clearly there is no feel and the mindset is to simply go as fast and hard as you can? If he has a teacher he should be fired.

This is all I've got for now.... I have to go - my hands hurt.

I know its not his fault but he is the victim of his own success in this case.

Must great to be a victim then! :)

When I was in my teens, if someone asked me if I'd like to be a pop star earning millions and touring the world, umm, gee, I think I could have taken one for the team :) ... even if it meant playing drums with so little feel. After all, feel can be developed.

Had to laugh at the "little faggot" comments on the YouTube clip ... it absolutely reeks of jealousy. Those guys would trade places with JB in a heartbeat. A bit sad that they're living with so much anger and resentment, though.

Had to laugh at the "little faggot" comments on the YouTube clip ... it absolutely reeks of jealousy. Those guys would trade places with JB in a heartbeat. A bit sad that they're living with so much anger and resentment, though.

Again, people don't dislike him for his drumming. They simply dislike the fact that he sings bad songs and doesn't play the drums well, yet he's famous. I wouldn't say that I, personally, am jealous of him. I would much rather know good music and at least decently play drums and not be famous than be in Bieber's position, money included. That's just me.

Again, people don't dislike him for his drumming. They simply dislike the fact that he sings bad songs and doesn't play the drums well, yet he's famous. I wouldn't say that I, personally, am jealous of him. I would much rather know good music and at least decently play drums and not be famous than be in Bieber's position, money included. That's just me.

But none of it is his fault. He doesn't force the fans to scream at his concerts. He just threw his hat in the ring and it worked.

If all singers and musos refused to play crap music out of principle then the record companies would just train up a pretty face and add autotune and get someone to program sequencers. And of course, they already do that. At least JB started out as someone who was into it, even if his taste is ... um ... (trying to be polite here) ... not the same as ours.

Of course he's going to throw around hero fills. His main role is singing and performing so on the occasions when he gets on the kit the fans ain't expecting subtlety or stylishness, just lots of flailing about that looks heroic.

Back