70's Ludwig bass drum spurs

Lilbonzo

Hi all, I have a question about the bass drum spurs of the Ludwigs in the 70's..

I've seen a few different types, all based around the same fold in curve, with what seems to be different thicknesses and different tightening nuts.

Was there a cross over period where parts of newer and older ones were used?
Can you date the drums by what is being used (if original with the kit)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

What kind of kits are you looking at? Are you looking for a replacement?

Bass drum spurs were also among notable changes that Ludwig shell hardware made, marking transitions in design from the 60’s and into the 70’s. Retracting, 5/16”, arched curved spurs were introduced in the 1970 catalog, however, existing as early as 1968. By around 1977, a thicker, 1/2”, curved spur was introduced for more support.

http://www.vintageludwigdrums.com/70stimeline.html

What kind of kits are you looking at? Are you looking for a replacement?

Bass drum spurs were also among notable changes that Ludwig shell hardware made, marking transitions in design from the 60’s and into the 70’s. Retracting, 5/16”, arched curved spurs were introduced in the 1970 catalog, however, existing as early as 1968. By around 1977, a thicker, 1/2”, curved spur was introduced for more support.

http://www.vintageludwigdrums.com/70stimeline.html

Cheers mate, I'm looking at what I'm told and looks like a 70's kit but it has the thicker spurs with plastic handles. No numbers on the blue and olive badges, so that would all point to a kit from around '76-'79 I guess?

How do the later 70's kits hold up to the earlier 70's? I've not played a 70's one before, both my kits are 60's.

After 1975 I'm unsure of when they used the black handles opposed to the metal wingnut. They might be interchangeable depending on the thickness. The 70's stuff is okay, my spurs never had issues although my kick drum tom mounts stripped so I had to get them tapped. Tom clip mounts aren't the best if that's what you're looking at. Post some pics if you can.

Seems to me, the black plastic handle came out, in the 80's. My 1979 drums had wingnuts.​

It has a 70's badge, but plastic spur wing nuts..

Although, the centre drum Tom mount (single pole in the middle of the bass drum) has a metal wing nut.

I'm not after repairs or replacements, just wanna know that I'm buying a 70's kit, and not an 80's one.

Cheers for the help guys.

If your blue/olive badge has pointy...as opposed to rounded corners, and it has re rings, it's no newer than 76/77. Sometime around 76/77 is when they went to a straight shell, no rings. They also changed the badge to rounded corners when they went to the straight shell.

Typically, if the plastic handles (or wingnuts) were used on the spurs, they were also used on the flange ..... so someone might have swapped out (replaced) some parts.​

image.jpg1_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Place image on imgur.com or another image site
Copy link to image
Post-reply
click the little "insert image" box
Paste link

Back