Just got some Genistas!!

goodcat1337

Found these on Craigslist and was surprised to see them around my neck of the woods. They're 20/10/12/14/16, 90s era, 1993 according to the guy I bought them from. Overall, in pretty good shape to be 23 years old and to have 2 previous owners who were both in touring bands. I've seen a few small scratches on the 10". And I saw on the kick where the actual lacquer has a small crack around one of the lugs. Other than that, just need some cleaning. The lugs and hoops have some patina on them.

There are a couple of annoyances that the previous owner did that I am gonna change. Mainly, he replaced the stock bass drum claws with some dumb black ones and spray painted the rods black on the reso side. He put a kickport on the reso head (that's just a preference thing for me).

I'm gonna gradually restore them/improve some stuff as I get money. Mostly small stuff like putting nylon washers on all the rods, replacing the BD claws with die cast ones with gaskets. I like the fact that he put natural finished maple hoops on the kick, but there are some gashes on them. So I'll eventually want to replace those as well. I also don't have enough tom mounts to set up everything, so right now I just have the 10" and 14" set up. Here's the few pics I have so far.

TL;DR - here are my new Genistas!!

IMG_20150223_001507.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG955975_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

0221151943.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20150221_000455.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Buy your nylon washers at a hardward store and not a music store where you get 12 for 8.00 or such. Buy them by the 100 bag and save some money. Drums look good. Love the sizes.

Nice drums - I've always liked the Genistas - there's a kit that's been for sale locally for awhile and I've tried to come up with reasons I need them (They're green! I need a 22" kick!). If my apartment wasn't the size of a postage stamp, and if I didn't risk becoming single by bringing another kit home, those green Genistas would be mine! Enjoy them!

Nice score. I love the lugs on those drums. I bet that they sound awesome.

NICE...I love the look and sound fo Genista's. Nice sizes too.
That is pretty silly what he did to the front tension rods. Easy to change though.
Is that a black sparkle wrap? hard to tell from pics.

Nice drums - I've always liked the Genistas - there's a kit that's been for sale locally for awhile and I've tried to come up with reasons I need them (They're green! I need a 22" kick!). If my apartment wasn't the size of a postage stamp, and if I didn't risk becoming single by bringing another kit home, those green Genistas would be mine! Enjoy them!

Welcome to the Genista Club goodcat!

Speaking of green Genista's...
Here's my 12/14/16/22 and 5.5x14 in Terraverdi Green.
Fabulous drums that tune up quickly and sound incredible.

Attachments

• genista kit1.jpg
    genista kit1.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 570
  • genista 55x14 small.jpg
    genista 55x14 small.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 548
Best sounding backline I ever played were Genistas. Beautiful tone, easy to tune. Nice score.

Welcome to the Genista Club goodcat!

Speaking of green Genista's...
Here's my 12/14/16/22 and 5.5x14 in Terraverdi Green.
Fabulous drums that tune up quickly and sound incredible.

Not only Genistas in green but one up two down no less, the exact configuration I'd want - awesome!

NICE...I love the look and sound fo Genista's. Nice sizes too.
That is pretty silly what he did to the front tension rods. Easy to change though.
Is that a black sparkle wrap? hard to tell from pics.

Thanks. Yeah, I've already ordered all new bass drum claws with gaskets and some more rods for the reso side. I ordered a 100pc set of white nylon washers for all the toms and snare as well.

As for the finish, it's called Rootbeer Sparkle, and it's actually a lacquer. It's really hard to tell in pics, but it looks like a Dr. Pepperish color, with a sparkle to it. I'll post pics of the full kit once I get my double tom mount for both floor toms. I bought a DW one from "the evil empire" and it ended up being too big. I bought a 10.5 mm mount, and needed a 9.5, so I had to order one. Should be in at the latest by next Friday. What little tuning I've done so far, they sound awesome. I'm a huge fan of the slightly smaller shells. It really lets the toms sing.

I wish I had the original snare to go with it. The guy threw in a Ludwig Epic "The Brick" snare. You guys know anything about it? I've heard mixed things. I'm also waiting on some new snare wires to come in, and some mylar straps. The wires on this thing are all unraveled and quite a few are missing. The PVC straps slip a lot as well, so I haven't even been able to get them back on to really even hear the snare. For some reason, the guy completely removed the snare wires and gave it to me separately from the snare. I honestly think this guy had no clue of what he had and how to take care of it.

BTW, jbonzo1, that finish is super nice looking.

I have a bit of an annoying problem with getting these things set up. I'm having trouble finding tom mounting hardware that fits. I had a 10.5mm L Arm that I used on my old Pork Pie set, and it ended up being too big. So, I bought a 9.5mm one at GC thinking that would do the trick for sure. Nope, too small.

So, I actually found a Premier bass drum mount on ebay and bought it. Surely, this is all I need. The 10" tom fits perfectly, the 12" tom still fits too big, so it doesn't tighten snugly. To top that off, the pipe on the tom mount is too small for the plate on the bass drum. Apparently they have changed the diameter of the bass drum mount since 93.

Anyone have any knowledge on the sizes of the tom mounts and L arms I am gonna need? I know that it should theoretically be a 10mm L Arm.

What's weird is that the 10" tom fits but not the 12". Now, the RIMS mount on the 10" also has a Ludwig bracket on it, while the 12" has the normal Premier bracket.

I just picked up a gold Genista kit in excellent condition. The sizes are 8x10, 9x12, x 11x14, 13x16, 18x22 with a 5.5x14 snare. The drums were originally bought at GC in mid 1999 with the 13x16 being a special order. I even have the original tags that came on the drums at the time of purchase. I was told that they were some type of special edition but I can't verify that. Anyone have any input, I'd greatly appreciate it

I have a bit of an annoying problem with getting these things set up. I'm having trouble finding tom mounting hardware that fits. I had a 10.5mm L Arm that I used on my old Pork Pie set, and it ended up being too big. So, I bought a 9.5mm one at GC thinking that would do the trick for sure. Nope, too small.

So, I actually found a Premier bass drum mount on ebay and bought it. Surely, this is all I need. The 10" tom fits perfectly, the 12" tom still fits too big, so it doesn't tighten snugly. To top that off, the pipe on the tom mount is too small for the plate on the bass drum. Apparently they have changed the diameter of the bass drum mount since 93.

Anyone have any knowledge on the sizes of the tom mounts and L arms I am gonna need? I know that it should theoretically be a 10mm L Arm.

What's weird is that the 10" tom fits but not the 12". Now, the RIMS mount on the 10" also has a Ludwig bracket on it, while the 12" has the normal Premier bracket.

Non-standardized crap gives me a headache.
No reason for it, and they also lose out on the economies of scale thing.

That said - think things through how you want to approach it, and take lots of measurements before buying stuff.
Even if you can return it, it's still a PITA if it doesn't work out.

I ended up cutting a section of a cymbal stand out to slide over a bass drum shaft,
and drilling and tapping a Yamaha mount shaft before it would fit into a Saturn bass drum without wobbling like a drunken sailor.

I see no benefit to having different sized mount shafts and tom arms.

End of rant.

Love those Genistas !! That Green set is my favorite !! They all look great though.

Back