Drumless track redux - guess the song!

You're killing me on this.

Are you sure it technically went multi-platinum as certified by the RIAA?

flock of seagulls, run so far away.

lol

I have no idea, so i thought I'd throw that one out there.

Here it is, attached.

And yes, it's from an RIAA multi-platinum album (not CRIA... heh heh... although it probably sold a ton up there as well.)

Bermuda

Attachments

• mystery_drums1.mp3
    457.5 KB · Views: 126
Ludwig would be my guess. Concert toms scream mid-late '70s...

I don't know if the drummer ever played Ludwig, but I will tell you that the drummer did endorse at least one other American brand, and now endorses a popular Asian brand.

Bermuda

Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son?

Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son?

DING DING DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Drummer was Phil Ehart - he's still with Kansas - and he endorsed Slingerland at one point, and now Yamaha.

Please PM your name & mailing address and I'll send the CD asap!

For those who want to hear it in context, here ya go -

Attachments

• carry_on.mp3
    482.8 KB · Views: 144
First, let me say this is one of the coolest thread ideas I've ever stumbled across. It was really hard figuring out the tune.

Thanks, Bermuda! The PM will be arriving shortly.

Nice job 8Mile!

I'm a sore loser.

Artist
KANSAS Title
CARRY ON WAYWARD SON Certification Date
12/18/1990 Label
EPIC
Award Description
GOLD Format
SINGLE Category
GROUP Type
ST

Source:
http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=SEARCH

I used your hints to search all multi-platinum singles on RIAA's website. The only bands I could find I felt matched the era of the record, who were still active (fitting your criteria), were The Rolling Stones - (I never knew Mr. Watts to play like that, although I did listen to a good lot of tunes from the 70's to see if maybe they snuck it in), and CCR, (I thought maybe you considered CCRev to be still active, Doug Clifford was a founding member of the Rev.).

I admittedly have to much time on my hands. This was a great way to kill some of that time.

Got any more?

:)

Wow I like the idea of threads like this! However I'm sad to say I've never heard that song in my life I guess it's my youth.

Artist
KANSAS Title
CARRY ON WAYWARD SON Certification Date
12/18/1990 Label
EPIC
Award Description
GOLD Format
SINGLE

Got any more?

:)

I didn't think it was necessary to be overly specific, I probably could have said the album was multi-platinum:

Artist
KANSAS Title
LEFTOVERTURE Certification Date
05/24/1995 Label
KIRSHNER
Award Description
4.00x MULTI PLATINUM Format
ALBUM Category
GROUP Type
ST

Although it was the single that drove sales and landed the song in millions of hands.

And yes, I do have more! Will post another shortly.

Bermuda

LOVE this thread. The one tom fill towards the end was about the only thing that would've clued me in but I listened to it and couldn't figure it out.

I didn't think it was necessary to be overly specific, I probably could have said the album was multi-platinum:

Artist
KANSAS Title
LEFTOVERTURE Certification Date
05/24/1995 Label
KIRSHNER
Award Description
4.00x MULTI PLATINUM Format
ALBUM Category
GROUP Type
ST

Although it was the single that drove sales and landed the song in millions of hands.

And yes, I do have more! Will post another shortly.

Bermuda

You did say album after I questioned the certification, you previously mentioned hit, I took it literally.

Anyways, fun idea for a thread, kudos!

You did say album after I questioned the certification, you previously mentioned hit, I took it literally.

The song was certainly a hit, and I'm surprised that in the 30+ years since its release - especially with iTunes etc facilitating single sales now - it has managed to remain at only Gold status. Sheesh, even Al's last single went Platinum within 2 years!

Anyway, no more well-intentioned hints on these, you guys will really have to know your music and the drum parts from now on. New challenge at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=761587#post761587 :)

Bermuda

patpatpatpatpatpatpat

Back