The ''Right'' Way To Set Up Your Kit

Re: What annoys you on peoples drum sets?

When the logos on the heads aren't facing the right way. Maybe that's just an extension of my "the cd's must be right side up in the jewel case" type OCD.

To be honest, I dislike to see the heads when they aren't facing the right way, but then some people can't help putting them the wrong way.

Any set that attempts to utilize a 2 lb. cymbal stand for a 12 lb cymbal. (Hint: if it keeps falling over every four times you hammer it with a drum stick the size of a telephone poll, you are doing it wrong.) Oh, and please, taking the bottom head off of your toms so you can hang Christmas lights (I swear, not kidding) is not only an abuse of lighting, but an abuse of the tom. I guess the only other one (related this time to cymbals) is when people hang a cymbal so that that south edge of the crash is basically pointing straight down (so that you can't strike any edge at all.) removing the wing nuts and felt and making the cymbal actually jump the stand is also not at all desirable.

Whew, I feel better. :)

Well I live in a house where this question is constantly answered lol. My dad used to play drums back in the 70s, and now when he plays my kit he is constantly saying that a tom needs to be in a certain place, or this needs to be lower/higher...basically, he's a mess behind my set, and full of critiques lol(I don't know why..its a pretty basic 4 piece). But one day I played for him, like really played, and he said "oh, I guess it's whatever you're comfortable with."

So really, don't be surprised when something annoys you on another person's kit, set up wise...i mean it is THEIR DRUMS lol. The only thing that I get annoyed about and can see other people getting annoyed about, is an overall lack of care, including; tons of muffling, nasty looking drums, broken items when the person has the funds to fix them...you know that kinda stuff.

I despise when people muffle the drums so much with tape that they almost sound like cardboard, it pretty much tells you that they cant tune properly.

I really dislike seeing lots of craters on the drumheads, dusty drums, and tons of stickers on the reso head.

But most of all, I hate hi-hats that are so high that the drummer has to hit them horizontally.

hopefully a cymbal company will read this. it would be great if they made clear patches for cymbals.

i supposed you could use clear box tape but i don't think the adhesive is strong enough. if we could get clear gaffer tape, that would be cool.

I may be way off on this, but I thought someone had come out with clear duct tape or gorilla tape or something similar to that.

how bout we put all this hatred energry to go fixing out kits so they dont have any complainable characteristics

The height of the high hat. I play with it quite low to I can access the edge, bow and the bell easily. But i was watching download highlights and most of the drummers had their high hats really high, i suppose its because most metal acts wont use the bow, but still, i'd find it impossible to play.

Also yea, im not too keen on the toms being perfectly horizontal, i like to sit in a relaxed position at the drums, so i'm more likely to hit the rim rather than the skin if it were horizontal. I think it looks OK (in a way) but unless your hunched over the kit, i don't see how its possible to play them to effect. And i don't like it when Tom2 is higher than Tom 1 (aswell as being horizontal) that just looks weird.

EDIT: Oh and the seats! I sit quite low, i can't play sitting in the clouds. That annoys me too.

i dont like it when A, ppl start smashing there drums.. like WTF? so what if your rich enough to get new ones but alot of time went into making those

The height of the high hat. I play with it quite low to I can access the edge, bow and the bell easily. But i was watching download highlights and most of the drummers had their high hats really high, i suppose its because most metal acts wont use the bow, but still, i'd find it impossible to play.

Download Highlights = I'm assuming a show that highlights popular mainstream bands?
Most of those drummers can get cymbals replaced, as well as sticks. Since most other drummers can't, I think it's pretty stupid when a drummer hits their hi-hats with the body of the stick against the edge of the hats. It's a good way to go through multiple pairs of sticks and also a great way to crack hi-hats.

I think that if anyone's hi-hats are at shoulder height, they should give me their hats to save them from the garbage bin. :)

Download Highlights = I'm assuming a show that highlights popular mainstream bands?
Most of those drummers can get cymbals replaced, as well as sticks. Since most other drummers can't, I think it's pretty stupid when a drummer hits their hi-hats with the body of the stick against the edge of the hats. It's a good way to go through multiple pairs of sticks and also a great way to crack hi-hats.

I think that if anyone's hi-hats are at shoulder height, they should give me their hats to save them from the garbage bin. :)

I was refering to the highlights from Download Festival (i don't know iof you know what that is, but its quite a big Metal festival in the UK) and yea, i can imagine how many sticks it'd get through!!

What really irks me is when drummers just grab a tom,cym,etc and twist it with out loosening the proper hardware first (then tightening it back up).

Hey everyone. I hope all is well in your drum world.

I totally agree with not digging the absurd tom angles. But, as for baggin' on the horizontal toms (some may think flat is absurd), I don't see that as worthy of annoyance. I personally don't flatten out my tom, but, then again, I haven't tried...yet.

The flat tom choice seems to works if you like sitting relatively high. Check these out. I think it looks pretty comfortable and it seems to flow. I think I'll give it a shot and report back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF6fvmH2s7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjWVWAtgtuo

Have a great day everyone!
rjvsmb

Thrones that are too low. If you are chewing on your knees you throne is too low.

People with outragously large kits when they aren't even that good. Seriously, you don't need 5 bass drums unless you are a pro. and I think sometimes these guys with huge kits in famous bands don't even really need them.

People with outragously large kits when they aren't even that good. Seriously, you don't need 5 bass drums unless you are a pro. and I think sometimes these guys with huge kits in famous bands don't even really need them.

I have to agree, I have seen some drummers on here (amatuers) who have amazingly expensive and large kits. But once I heard their playing the two just didn't go together meaning their playing abilities didn't justify having a kit like that. I guess I would rather sound good than look good, but that is just my opinion. For example Jason Bittner is known for his fast feet and he has a pretty big kit, but as for anything else he really is not that good.

I get annoyed when people completely miss the point of a thread.

As for kit issues, my biggest hangup is improper selection. To wit:
A) Using (and breaking to bits) 16" paper-thin crashes in your metal band.
B) Tuning 8", 10" and 12" toms like they were 15", 16" and 18".
C) Complaining that DW's sound like crap when you tune them in such a manner.

The only setup gripe I have is imbalance, such as a single bass drum with a thousand toms and cymbals hovering overhead. Just a personal thing. Nothing more.

All drums, because of their size and ability to move air, have a max volume. Standing up and slamming down on the drum with the stick as one sits back down again, will not make it any louder. Same with cymbals. Using a sledge hammer will not make them any louder than hitting the cymbal on the crown with the shoulder of the stick. If your wallet is bigger than your skills, then SLAM on.

Back