SUPRAPHONIC WOOD HOOPS

Alec

Hey guys!

So I was wondering, what would a supraphonic with wood hoops sound like? And would it be a good idea?

*Random 2am wide awake/trying to get to sleep epiphany*

Cheers guys!

I've seen it done. Drum sounded alright from where I was sitting, but it was mic'd up and no doubt EQ'd as well. Why not slap some on and try it. Only way you're gonna know.

And FWIW, I make it 12.54PM in Sydney.....are you overseas or caught up in a time warp?

I haven't tried wood hoops on a Supra, but I have used them on other snares. I really didn't like them at all. First, it makes a 14" snare a 15" foot print. If you swap out snares frequently, its kind of a pain, since you need to make a large adjustment to your stand basket. Also, some stands won't even open that far. Second, I don't know what it did, soundwise. I really couldn't tell much of a difference. Even cross sticking, which is supposed to be awesome with wood hoops, didn't really blow me away any more so than die casts or 2.3mm flanged hoops. I get fine cross sticking sounds with those hoops. Third, I just like the feel of steel hoops better. If I want to lay into my snare and play a lot of rim shots, I just like the feel of solid steel better than the wood hoops. I had 2 pair of wood hoops and sold them both.

I use a wood top hoop on my 6.5" bronze Supra and like it VERY much! It retains all of the wonderful original Supra sonic qualities while warming it up somewhat. The cross stick is amazing.

Back