Repetitive Strain Injury?

rhydianjlewis

Well I've just had a the longest drumming session in ages, managed to play for about 3 hours with a few breaks to look up stuff and listen to songs.

Most of the time i spent playing lighter stuff, but to finish off i switched to some faster, harder rock playing. But after 10 minutes or so of that, i was halted by intermittent twinges like pins and needles up my wrists and arms...

Now i presume that its the signs of mild repetetive strain injury, but does this necessarily mean i have a problem with technique? or is it natural for my body to react like this when really tired and suddenly thrown into heavier playing?

Re: Repetetive Strain Injury?

Pins & needles and any sort of sharp pain is a very bad thing. It sounds to me like you're asking your body to do things that put strain on the wrong places, otherwise you would just get sore or tired if the stamina isn't there.

It's a matter of technique, there's pretty much always a different way to play something that will make it much easier and will certainly prevent injury. I can help you make some adjustments in your technique if you're interested in some lessons over skype.

This sounds very similar to a problem I'm having, in fact it sounds identical. I'm going to go and see my doctor and hopefully get a proper examination to make sure I've not caused any actual long term physical damage.

I have recently adjusted my technique and it does seem to of almost eliminated the problem by loosening off my grip as much as I possibly can especially at the fulcrum, which has had the side effect of stopping my right hand and forearm getting tired when playing fast grooves. I also now stretch a little before I play which does seem to help loosen things up (though have to be careful not to overdo it an make any problems worse).

My problem seemed to happen when I was playing a fast groove; I think my right hand would tense up a little (especially around the top of my hand) and then I'd play a fill and either hitting a tom to my right or hitting a cymbal would give me the sudden sharp pain or the pins and needles effect you describe.

I'm fairly sure it's technique - but as I said, a visit to the doctor will hopefully put my mind at rest - I'll let you know how that goes. By day I'm a software engineer so I type a lot which probably doesn't help (though I never get pain from it).

Bill's offer of checking you out over Skype sounds good - I'd love to know how that goes if you do it!

Mark.

Thanks for the replies,

Well I know I was playing pretty damn hard, harder than I needed to, but it suited the style so i just went for it. Unfortunately my internet connection here isn't up to a skype line (damn rural Wales), and as a student I dont have the money for lessons at the moment either.

And Mark, that sounds like exactly the same thing, it did happen most when I went to hit one of the rack toms. I doubt there's any permanent damage unless you're doing it repeatedly though... As I said, I rarely play till I'm that tired so its the first time I've ever experienced it.

Back