Votes: 34 6.6%
  • Semi-Pro - I have another job and I play my drums for money

Votes: 196 38.0%
  • Hobbyist - I play my drums strictly for my own enjoyment

Votes: 250 48.4%
  • Student- Pro - I'm in school but I still play gigs

Votes: 36 7.0%

• Total voters
OK OK - I'll admit to being part of the semi-pro fraternity. I'd like to be part of the vaunted #1 category, but when I tried it, I found I had to take every job that came my way, and you end up meeting and playing with alot of people you wouldn't want to hang with off of the bandstand ;)

So now I can say "no" alot and not have to worry where the money is coming from, but at the same time, money still comes in when I do go out to play. But that's not to say I wouldn't play for free. I just have to love you ;)

I was a #1 for most of my adult life. Came off the road and got into producing TV and video. I still play almost every weekend and often during the week. More folks know me as a musician than anything else....Alll that said, I'm a #2 and glad.

Finally, after two years of 3 with an occasional paying sub gig, I am now in a working band. So 2 it is!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! First time in 30 plus years I have more than one gig ahead of me!

OK OK - I'll admit to being part of the semi-pro fraternity. I'd like to be part of the vaunted #1 category, but when I tried it, I found I had to take every job that came my way, and you end up meeting and playing with alot of people you wouldn't want to hang with off of the bandstand ;)

So now I can say "no" alot and not have to worry where the money is coming from, but at the same time, money still comes in when I do go out to play. But that's not to say I wouldn't play for free. I just have to love you ;)

Isn't your primary job music, too? Just because you're wearing a costume (or a cape) doesn't mean it's not music for money!

I've had the opportunity of being in all four categories in my life. I would suggest amateur as a fit. One who does it for the love of it... paid or not, steady work or not, student or not... The fit we all share I would guess.

At this point and for a long time now I have a non-music full time gig that I also love and provides for my family so I am a hobbiest. But I really hope that when I retire I will return to working pro - though selective about the gigs and musicians I work with as the money won't be needed to keep everyone fed clothed schooled and doctored, and dance lessons, oh and sax lessons, and braces, and.... I really admire that some drummers are able to take care of their family purely with their sticks.... Hats off to them.... They work dam hard, they live by their own wits and gumption, and have no guarantee of a steady paycheck.... Amazing. I sometimes wish I had two lives, one to be a good dad and husband, and another to be just a drummer and only responsible to my own muse.

Although I do make a little bit of cash with the kit, I also make some with the electric and upright bass and guitar, Afro/Latin percussion and whatever, where ever I can help out. I call myself a multi-instrumentalist, my colleges call me the utility guy.

I would have to say that I am more of an aficionado on the kit. I just enjoy it and with aged hands the sticks allow me to play more without the discomfort of hand recovery after strenuous nights on the percussion.

From age 21 to 31 I was semi-pro. Then I joined the army became number 3, which actually has been great for me as I have had the past 5 years to practice nothing but what I want to - no learning covers, etc. My technique and creativity have improved significantly. I'm leaving the army in a couple of months, and then will go back to 2. 1 is always the goal, of course.

I've been a #3 since 1989 and "graduated" to #2 around 2008. Our band is on a big upswing now and we're having a lot of fun. It affords me creative, financial, and emotional freedom.

If a #1 opportunity came along I would consider it in all aspects just like I was considering a new corporate job in another state.

Once upon a time I made a bit of spare change playing a few gigs. But just a few. You see I had this day job...
These days I'm a pure hobbyist who, believe it or not, plays for the exercise as much as for enjoyment.

Number three-hobbyist now and forever. I use to play at church-no money I performed for an audience of One, orchestra-no money, and a jazz group (that I only accepted money a couple of times). I quit because my hearing has gotten so bad I struggle live stuff. I figure I'm an amateur hobbyist who is lucky enough to perform so why charge-if anything I should be paying them LOL.

Strictly a hobbyist. If I do get a chance to gig, I offer my services pro bono (or pro beero).

Back