Sonor Delite shell set (Tiger finish)

Arky

Platinum Member
I've been Delite'd today ;-)

Picked up a Sonor Delite 4-piece shell set at the music store I'm mostly buying stuff at. My very first shells/drums, not counting a crappy snare (actually, a modified tom) which I've been using so far (mostly with a practice pad on top).

Dimensions:
22 x 17.5 bass drum (w/ tom holder mount)
10 x 8 TT
12 x 9 TT
14 x 14 FT
& 1 double tom holder.
Price: 1.999 Euros (plus 100 Euros for some cases)

The first time I've seen that Tiger finish was on Derek Roddy's DVD (Blast Beats Evolved) - one of the hottest finishes for drums I can think of. I've never seen that finish in person before - it's a bit on the pale side and looked darker/more intense on various pics and also on Derek's DVD but it's still a cool finish. (I like transparent finishes and stained wood in general, be it drums or guitars.) The bass drum is not a virgin bass drum but actually this allows more setup variations so I'm fine with this.

I've taken those pics at the store, prior to packing them. I'm very happy to have those decent drums but feel utterly unworthy of them [2 yrs into drums now]. That's a Sonor Benny Greb snare they had set up for demo purposes.I have to keep using my crappy snare for the moment, will upgrade at a later time.

That 22'' bass drum is so punchy I think a 20'' would do it, too. Might/want to get more toms in the longer run, an 8'' and/or a 16''.

My setup so far:
* dw2002 double pedal (modified: reduced footplate angle, I've flexed away those studs at the heel block and also flexed down the linings and model designation a bit to make the footplate smoother in feel, esp. for swivel)
* (Bill Bachman's) Remote Speedy Hat (w/ cheapo hihat set)
* Tama Iron Cobra hihat (w/ cheapo hihat set or, alternatively, some DIY bell cymbals)
* 1 cheapo marching tom modified into a snare
* a total of 16 DIY bells (a few sound quite similar and are obsolete, will sell those)
* 1 Meinl Byzance Dry Ride 20''
* 1 Doppler Drums 18'' Crash (had 1 crack, now DIY'ed into an Ozone style cymbal w/ 6 holes)
* a few surplus cymbal stands
(Had a few cracked and salvaged Zildjian ZBT hats/rides, modded them into a pair of 11.5'' and 13'' hats but sold them recently.)

Attachments

• Sonor Delite Tiger_01.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_01.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 5,490
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_09.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_09.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,807
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_08.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_08.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 4,489
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_07.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_07.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,943
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_06.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_06.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,962
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_05.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_05.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2,905
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_04.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_04.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 3,233
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_03.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_03.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3,171
  • Sonor Delite Tiger_02.jpg
    Sonor Delite Tiger_02.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 3,712
Last edited:
Definitely unique. Nice. I wonder if German-made Sonors are less expensive in Germany? I would hope so, at least a bit cheaper. Congrats.

Larry, that particular shell set was a special offer. It had an orig. price tag of 2.689 Euros so 1999 Euros was a really good offer.

Currently there's a few other Delite shell sets (same finish) on Ebay Germany - those price tags seem to be quite attractive, too:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sonor-Delite...61976?pt=Drums_Percussion&hash=item3a784db618
- 22x17 (virgin) / 12x08 / 16x16 / 18x16 / no hardware / for 1.690 Euros
(That one seems to be the remainder of a gigantic double bass kit pulled apart, with the 'regular' half been sold already - man if I had the money...)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sonor-Drumse...01391?pt=Drums_Percussion&hash=item483f8932ef
- 22x20 (virgin) / 10x7 / 12x8 / 14x11 / 16x13 / no hardware, for 2.899 Euros buy-it-now (I contacted them, they'd accept to sell it for 2.700)

Very cool and love that tiger finish!
Any pics of the kit now you've got them set up at home?

Very cool and love that tiger finish!
Any pics of the kit now you've got them set up at home?
Well here's where this affair starts to get embarassing...
I'd have to set it up in my homestudio room (60% is already consumed with various stuff, several racks, guitars etc). So there are space constraints. What's worse is that until now my drumming endeavours have been quite tolerable in terms of volume (no shells, snare with pad most of the time, and if not, just playing very softly). This is going to change. Plus, I'm still living at my parents' home (but will move soon). So I bought that shell set because it was a great offer and I wanted some decent drums at some time anyway. Now I have them but I'm not sure when and where to use them properly. At least I have them.

But sure, I'll set them up, add the other stuff I have and make some pics. Then I'll see how playing a real drumset feels like - I'll be confronted with much more distance to cover, it's not just practicing on pads like I've been doing so far ;-)

I thought of using some damping or maybe start out playing the toms/that crappy snare with brushes.

BTW, we forgot to pack the floor tom legs, haha. I'll have them send it over.

Last edited:
Looks awesome, well done!

Well here's where this affair starts to get embarassing...
I'd have to set it up in my homestudio room (60% is already consumed with various stuff, several racks, guitars etc). So there are space constraints. What's worse is that until now my drumming endeavours have been quite tolerable in terms of volume (no shells, snare with pad most of the time, and if not, just playing very softly). This is going to change. Plus, I'm still living at my parents' home (but will move soon). So I bought that shell set because it was a great offer and I wanted some decent drums at some time anyway. Now I have them but I'm not sure when and where to use them properly. At least I have them.

But sure, I'll set them up, add the other stuff I have and make some pics. Then I'll see how playing a real drumset feels like - I'll be confronted with much more distance to cover, it's not just practicing on pads like I've been doing so far ;-)

I thought of using some damping or maybe start out playing the toms/that crappy snare with brushes.

BTW, we forgot to pack the floor tom legs, haha. I'll have them send it over.

If playing volume is a concern you could always try the A2E route?

Congrats,that finish looks epic! Really looking forward to the pics when all set up and comfy.

You sure are Delite'd ;)

If playing volume is a concern you could always try the A2E route?
Basically yes. I've been using a friend's Roland TD-9 for several months so I know how e-kits feel like. At first it was great fun but gradually I started not liking those meshheads, they're way too bouncy. E-kits are great for overall coordination but are poor to develop touch and subtleties. Plus the sounds come ready as they are, one doesn't have to form them (like on pretty much any other natural instrument). But integrating some electric stuff - for level reduction or other reasons - isn't a bad idea.

Not my choice of finish but a great, high-quality kit. You're also helping the national economy and as a fellow EU member, I support that!

Can't wait to see it set up with all the bells and whistles, as it were.
Economy wasn't the biggest concern but there is some logic to choosing domestic manufacturers, isn't it. Isn't it funny - there's German drummers being endorsed by DW (I assume so), Pearl (now as for Pearl - I definitely know one German drummer) etc and overseas drummers who prefer Sonor et alii. I was also considering a Mapex Saturn Limited set (ocean blue wave finish - super nice finish) - would have been a 6-piece / 2 more drums (1 floor tom, 1 snare) for a mere 300 additional Euros. I settled on Sonor though. (Thinking about it - a few months ago one of those ocean blue wave sets was offered on German Ebay for... yeah, 1.999 Euros, haha.)

(THAT Saturn set/finish:)
http://www.thomann.de/de/mapex_satu...wave.htm?sid=50ed147d358159157b621c6b4cbcd121

That finish just screams "look at me".

I predict that any lead guitar players and lead singers you play with won't like it. Too uppity.

Most guys I know don't like competing with the drummer for attention.

Larry, I never thought about that... I'm not used to other guitarists playing lead parts - in my orig. compositions that's my job usually ;-)

Just to give you some idea that this finish is quite in line of what I'm usually going for - here's a snapshot of my 4 custom electrics, all made by the same luthier (Siggi Braun, Germany).

(Please pardon me for posting un-drumming-ish stuff... But at least it's a thread on gear I have.)

BTW, those 4 guitars actually have names/concept designations. My other instruments (1 12-string electric, 1 acoustic, 2 el. basses) don't have names and I think I won't name my drumset either. Those 4 custom electrics depicted are (from top to bottom):
"Sovenance 6", "Sovenance 7" (the one in my avatar), "Natural", and "Aqua".

Attachments

• Arky's Siggi Braun customs_sized2.jpg
    Arky's Siggi Braun customs_sized2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,559
Last edited:
Basically yes. I've been using a friend's Roland TD-9 for several months so I know how e-kits feel like. At first it was great fun but gradually I started not liking those meshheads, they're way too bouncy. E-kits are great for overall coordination but are poor to develop touch and subtleties. Plus the sounds come ready as they are, one doesn't have to form them (like on pretty much any other natural instrument). But integrating some electric stuff - for level reduction or other reasons - isn't a bad idea.

Economy wasn't the biggest concern but there is some logic to choosing domestic manufacturers, isn't it. Isn't it funny - there's German drummers being endorsed by DW (I assume so), Pearl (now as for Pearl - I definitely know one German drummer) etc and overseas drummers who prefer Sonor et alii. I was also considering a Mapex Saturn Limited set (ocean blue wave finish - super nice finish) - would have been a 6-piece / 2 more drums (1 floor tom, 1 snare) for a mere 300 additional Euros. I settled on

(THAT Saturn set/finish:)
http://www.thomann.de/de/mapex_satu...wave.htm?sid=50ed147d358159157b621c6b4cbcd121

You made the right decision. IMHO there is NO comparrison between Mapex and Made In Germany Sonor high end dums.

Your kit is stunning. You can play that kit for the rest of your life. No need to upgrade. Well done.

@ wy yung
Thanks for your reassuring post! I'm fine with that decision. The Saturns might have a better bang for buck relation but having Delites eliminates the need to upgrade.

Ok, here's some pics I just did. I set up all that stuff in combination for the first time and had to experiment with the placement as a real/full kit is new and fresh to me. Everything is so... big. I'll receive a Sonor single tom holder & stand within the next days and will have more placement options, maybe have the highest tom mounted off that single holder, leaving the 12 tom on the bass drum.

* Sonor Delite tiger finish, 22x17.5 BD // 10x8 TT // 12x9 TT // 14x14 FT
* no name/cheapo snare (actually a modified marching tom)
* Speedy Remote Hat (the brand new version, by Legacy Percussion Gear, designed by Bill Bachman) w/ cheapo hihat cymbal and Billdidit Coady Clutch drop clutch - probably the best/most practical clutch ATM - on top
* Tama Iron Cobra hihat stand (my initial hihat stand) w/ a set of DIY bells just for fun and more foot practice variation (initially I had that stand at the right handside as a 2nd hihat but couldn't fit it into this setup as it clashed with the ride position and toms)
* dw2002 double pedal (modified: lower pedal angle, plain butt ends (I've flexed off those small stubs - feels more comfy and is way easier for swivel)
* ride = Meinl Byzance Dry Ride 20'' (used)
* crash = Doppler Drums 18'' Turkey Line Rock Crash (had a crack -> I DIY'ed it into an 'o-zone' style cymbal)

Attachments

• Arky's kit_07.jpg
    Arky's kit_07.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 2,576
  • Arky's kit_08.jpg
    Arky's kit_08.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2,472
  • Arky's kit_09.jpg
    Arky's kit_09.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 3,313
  • Arky's kit_10.jpg
    Arky's kit_10.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 2,402
  • Arky's kit_06.jpg
    Arky's kit_06.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 2,617
  • Arky's kit_05.jpg
    Arky's kit_05.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 2,472
  • Arky's kit_04.jpg
    Arky's kit_04.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2,474
  • Arky's kit_03.jpg
    Arky's kit_03.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 2,442
  • Arky's kit_02.jpg
    Arky's kit_02.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2,460
  • Arky's kit_01.jpg
    Arky's kit_01.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2,403
Last edited:
That pic is just to show the other 10 bells which didn't make it on the kit, haha.

The rest is some cymbal rings I salvaged from the used and cracked cymbals (I got them off Ebay and bought them as cracked deliberately - and thus, mostly quite cheap). Some of those rings are 14'' in diameter, they can be used to create a metallic effect on the snare drum (inspired by those cymbal rings JoJo Mayer is using). 2 rings are 13'' in diameter - just in case I ever buy a 13'' snare. The other cymbal rings are what remained of the initial cymbals minus their bells and I also cut away any areas with cracks. Those cymbal carcasses might be good for sound experiments, stacking them or whatever. I thought I'd utilize them to the full instead of discarding them after cutting out their bells.

Still have to make 1-2 bell holders (inspired by Gavin Harrison's setup).

Attachments

• DIY.jpg
    DIY.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,279
Nice snag there Arky! There's no missing that finish :) I like it, very much, but it's your choice of a well crafted thin shelled kit that I like even more. I like the sizes too. Congratulations, & I wish you many years of enjoyment with it :)

That's a fantastic finish Arky, you've made a very wise choice. Enjoy those drums!
Thanks Luke!

Those are pretty! Congratulations! Now you can only wear matching fur outfits when playing. Perhaps a "Jane" female can also be on-hand to give you towels ;)
Haha. Thanks Bo - never thought of that. I hope I can get around this (wearing that outfit). But female persons having towels ready... What a tempting thought! Provided I'd break a sweat from playing, and therefore I need to get better. Thinking about it... Bo, it's your vast Disneyland activities which make you come up with ideas like those, right? ;-)

Nice snag there Arky! There's no missing that finish :) I like it, very much, but it's your choice of a well crafted thin shelled kit that I like even more. I like the sizes too. Congratulations, & I wish you many years of enjoyment with it :)
Thanks Andy!
I was aware of those thin shells, yes. It was the finish primarily which got me interested. And that initial wow factor when I saw those drums for the first time - on Derek Roddy's DVD. They looked fantastic! And for 4 mm shells they sound... boombastic. (You know, if I spent 3-4x the amount I might get some GURU drums instead... Maybe in the future.)

Thanks for all your feedback! Guys, I'm constantly rewriting this post as more and more replies are coming in, haha.

Wow... I missed this thread...

Congrats Arky, wonderful kit, looks great, I bet you're a happy guy, there's nothing like a real drumkit... all you have to do now is a little demo for us, so we can hear this beauty in action ;)

Back