Ginger Baker and Keith Moon

Moon never played the same way it was recorded when played live, which is the best quality a drummer can have. He came up with different styles, each time, quite interesting, unlike Neal Peart who plays so great exactly like what he did on the record.

I think the whole point of this thread is that, In my opinion, Moonie and Ginger were pioneers if you like. No one had played like that, at the time, and , possibly, in Moonies case, no one has since.
I feel that rock/pop music is about feel more than technique, and too many of today's top drummers are the product of drum schools that seem, In my opinion, to turn out clones. Very technically adept but somehow lacking in invention.
Yes I know, In an old dinosaur, but rock music was , to me, all about pushing the music on and trying to be different, not just learning what had gone before.
Rant over......Nurse.

Moon never played the same way it was recorded when played live, which is the best quality a drummer can have. He came up with different styles, each time, quite interesting, unlike Neal Peart who plays so great exactly like what he did on the record.
Yes but if you are a RUSH fanatic at a concert you live and die by the way the three of them replicate what is heard on an album. This is what most RUSH fans love about the band. When I go to a concert and it sounds totally different I think that they probably could not pull off the real version. Two ways to look at it. Neither one right or wrong.

I never really liked the Who because of the feeling of chaos I got from their music. Especially from the drummer.

Listen to "We're going wrong" by Cream (done with timpani mallets) the simplicity of it yet the elegance Baker had timing most drummers will never achieve and he did fills unlike anyone before or after and his double bass drum work was awesome...

Keith Moon was a pretty sloppy drummer, but I guess it fit well in The Who.

As for Ginger, I don't listen to him very much.

Moon could have never played a groove like in Eminence Front.

Well, I guess I have to be the lone voice of dissent when it comes to Moon. I loved the early Who recordings...then he turned into KEITH MOON the loon. Very limited in what he did. Did he ever play the same thing twice? It seems totally random, and yes, some of it was great, but a lot was crap. I play with guitarists that have the same attitude. Know what? It's impossible to work with them. They do something perfect for the music but have no idea what they just did and can't recreate it, even just seconds later. I have a lot of fun "wigging out" WHEN APPROPRIATE, but most times it detracts from the music.

Let the flames begin!
I think thats what makes him so original though, that he was able to play off the cuff like that and make it fit within the music. All instruments are an extension of your personality and is well documented he was mental and unpredictable just like his drumming he's not my favourite drummer but I still think he is the only player that has been in a hugely influential band whilst playing with complete adandon.

What is difficult to deny is that Moon never settled for his comfort zone. True he sometimes over reached himself, but so what.
Rock and roll is about feel and stretching yourself and ,lets face it, the Who were four lead musicians not a backing band for a singer and a guitarist.
I would go a long way to see the old Who play live again cos what you saw on the night was unique to that audience. The next night it would be different. Possibly better possibly worse, but different.
If I want music exactly as the recording, I will listen to the recording or watch a DVD.

Back