My new Gretsch 57 in Motor City Red.

M

moretulife

Well I could not resist the price. My buddy and I both got one for a screaming deal. The 57 was my favourite car growing up. This is the closest I will get to having one. Candy Apple Metallic Red. My favourite colour. Hey Gruntersdad, I hope you like it. I thought of you when I bought it! :)

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

I am more than jealous. Maybe someone will come out with a 57 conversion kit that can be applied to any Renown kit. I will suffer through with my Cherry Burst Renowns. Glad you got in on the deal..

Wow, those are stunning! I guess I've never seen that finish close up. The red is gorgeous and the white is very warm, almost a cream color.

Beautiful drums.

Wow, those are stunning! I guess I've never seen that finish close up. The red is gorgeous and the white is very warm, almost a cream color.

Beautiful drums.
Hey buddy, thanks. . Yes it's a cream colour. I have plans for a matching front head.

I am more than jealous. Maybe someone will come out with a 57 conversion kit that can be applied to any Renown kit. I will suffer through with my Cherry Burst Renowns. Glad you got in on the deal..

Your kit is great also man! I wish you could of got in on this. I paid $850 for these. That is almost criminal.

So, how do those babies sound?! They look great!

Well they have that 30 degree rounded bearing edge Gretsch sound. When I first brought them home, I was a bit thrown off, because they sounded so much more mellow than my Saturn's, but after a couple of days, I embraced the difference in the two kits, and enjoyed them. The snare was a pleasant surprise. Sounded great right out of the box. This is also my first time owning a kit with Evans heads, and they work great on this kit. The kick has an emad, and it sounds great. The kit is fun to play, and fun to look at. I really don't like the silver coating on the insides. Reminds me of my old Tama Imperial Stars, which also had an interior coating. I like to see the wood on the insides. This is purely an aesthetic thing for me. All and all, I would recommend this kit to anyone. Especially at the price they are going for at the moment. Get you one while you still can! :)

Congrats! That kit looks awesome and I bet it sounds great too :)

Wait a minute, that basement looks familiar...is that you sticks? Welcome back :D

Thanks guys for the kind comments! Not sure what to think about the isolation mounts. I can't maintain my 3/4 of an inch separation that I normally have. These toms are like 2 inches apart! Crazy! :)

Congrats! That kit looks awesome and I bet it sounds great too :)

Wait a minute, that basement looks familiar...is that you sticks? Welcome back :D

You familiar with Sticks' basement???? Hmmm. No, if it ain't Mapex it ain't Sticks.

Yeah great pickup. I'm a Gretsch convert, thanks to the Renowns.

You familiar with Sticks' basement???? Hmmm. No, if it ain't Mapex it ain't Sticks.

if you are that easy to convert, I should of sent you a Saturn a long time ago. ;)

Oh, I think it is though. I didn't think I'd live to see a non Mapex kit in that basement. That said, I saw the black bop version in a drum shop in Glasgow last week and wanted it so badly. Only problem was the UK price tag £1049, that is, wait for it, $ 1700!! You guys in the US and Canada have it so good price wise....

How the hell did I miss this thread???

Gretsch drums.....Ludwig snares......Mapex taking a back seat.......what the hell are they putting in the water up there in Canada? I feel like the universe is off kilter!

Nice drums mate. They are a great looking kit and I reckon the fact that they are such a contrast to the Saturns is more than reason enough to own them. Vive la difference!!

Last edited:

Isn't there the Mapex name in the 2nd pic on the left?

How the hell did I miss this thread???

Gretsch drums.....Ludwig snares......Mapex taking a back seat.......what the hell are they putting in the water up there in Canada? I feel like the universe is off kilter!

Nice drums mate. They are a great looking kit and I reckon the fact that they are such a contrast to the Saturns is more than reason enough to own them. Vive la difference!!
Sorry Pocket. Just saw this reply now. Thanks for the comment! Still have my eye on a 5 piece Ludwig, with birdseye maple outer, but the price is still too high. I like to buy drums, but I am careful how much I spend! :) Good to see you are still around and well. Would really miss your witty banter! :)

moretulife, I hope I'm not practicing poor etiquette by posting in your thread, but if I created a new thread, the subject would have been the same. ;-)

I got sucked in by the cheap price and bought probably one of the last red bop kits in Canada. Sticker (and paid) price was 899 loonies.

8mile has a keen eye - the chevrons are an off white or cream. They look nice.

I'm trying the "bop" tuning and got the toms sounding good. That stock bass drum head (EQ4) has gotta go ... though it has a respectable rock thump for such a small size drum!

radman

Attachments

• bop_smaller.JPG
    bop_smaller.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 483
How dare you post in my thread! It's ok. :) Got to love that colour!

Back