Wrap Overlap Issue - NEED QUICK ADVICE!

groove meister

Hello there,

Ordered a custom kit 4 months ago. DW. Over £2000.
It just arrived. The shop i ordered it from installed a hoop protector for me - one of the pearl ones that you screw onto the hoop.

It is a wrap finish. Usually the seam of the wrap (on the bass drum) is kept under the drum, out of visibility. However, they have attached the hoop protector on the opposite side of the seam. Meaning when attached, the wrap-overlap is visible at the TOP of the bass drum.

Its kind of pissed me off, with such an expensive kit. I cud undo the protector and re-install it, but i still have a little hole drilled into another part of the hoop then.

Am i right to complain about this? What do I do?
Thanks in advance for whatever advice people can offer!

Were the legs on the drum already? This would determine what is the top of the bass drum unless I am missing something. How about a photo? What does this protector protect.? Don't know that I have seen one.

Ask the shop to order another wood hoop with the same wrap for you. They are responsible for the work they have done and if it wasn't done right then... you know.

At last if anything cant be done well other another hoop protector and install it at the other end and leave the other there. Maybe you will find it nice to protect your hoop from a cowbell mount claw and nobody will notice it since it's on the batter side of the bass drum.

Good luck.

Were the legs on the drum already? This would determine what is the top of the bass drum unless I am missing something. How about a photo? What does this protector protect.? Don't know that I have seen one.

It's a small pad that is screwed on the bass drum hoop but what I think the OP forgot to say is probably that his bass drum hoop are wrapped too and the hoop protector was installed at the other end of the wrap seam.

I would play the role of the unsatisfied customer who is entitled to restitution, just do so with respect, but stand up for what is right.

Update : spoke to the guys from the shop, theyre gonna try and get me sorted out with a new hoop! Hopefully all works out. Like I say, its a small inconvenience, and i wouldn't be this particular if i hadn't shelled out so much cash for it. Needs to be PERFECT!
Its a beautiful set, photos to come this weekend.

I completely understand, That is an expensive kit and you want it to be exactly as you paid for it to be.

I am the same way, I have a 22" kick, I wish they cut the wrap so that both of the seams could be hidden under the claws, then you would never see them.

Back