Have You Found As You've Aged That You Prefer A Smaller Kit?

I've been playing for over 30 years now and my kit hasn't really changed much in the last two decades. In the late 80s I scaled back to basically the same 5 piece (2 up, 1 down) configuration I use today. I discovered that I could do everything I wanted to do with that set-up and it was much easier to cart around to gigs. I posted these pics on another thread a month or so back, but they do illustrate my point pretty well.

Attachments

• Slingerland1.jpg
    Slingerland1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Sonor1.jpg
    Sonor1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 128
  • TAMA.jpg
    TAMA.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 125
  • N&C.jpg
    N&C.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Gretsch.jpg
    Gretsch.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DW.jpg
    DW.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DW X.jpg
    DW X.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 130
Yes, but I'm not so sure how much it just age and how much is circumstance.

As I was getting into drums, and before I really knew much about them, I come across so many pictures of guys with big kits.
Steve Smith with Journey and his 9 pc set up.
Keith Moon and Kenny Jones of The Who, both with massive set ups.
Gil Moore with Triumph, and of course,
Neil Peart, as I was already a huge Rush fan long before I took up the drums.

So I got into drums with this concept that big kits was preferable for most of the bands I listened to.

Although I started with a 5pc.

Eventually, I did buy a big double bass kit and had it all on a rack. I loved it! I and I played it a lot.

But when the reality of giging came along.

For cover bands and pick up gigs, a 4pc was all that was practical.

Once I started gig a lot with my original band, I noticed not every stage really had the room for the big kit. And I didn't want to change my approach to the songs depending on how many drums I could fit on the stage that night. So I scaled back to a 5 pc and never touched my 2nd kick or other tom for almost 10 years.

When I built my own studio, I could set up the large kit again, and i even added to it, and it was fun for a while.
But then I joined another band, and a large kit wasn't needed.

Earlier this year, I set up my large kit, and was working on some songs that seemed to lend themselves to a large kit (prog-metal). But the recording weren't coming along, and I was getting frustrated with my drumming.

Then I had to go back to the small kit for a video shoot, and wow, suddenly, I felt so much more at ease!

So I re-recorded the prog-metal songs on a 5pc and suddenly the drum parts felt better.

At this point, the large kit is stacked in the corner, and I'm just using a 5 pc.

But I'm not so sure how much is age, maturity, or that I'm just so used to a smaller kit, that the large set up feels too awkward now.

On the other hand, while I only use a 5pc, I can't help myself from adding a few effects cymbals to my kit, and in that respect, my kit has actually grown.

I agree with this whole premise. I am 58,in good shape,but changed for a different reason than many of the older guys.
Many of the younger guys on this forum motivated me to reduce for the sake of CREATIVITY . Even among the famous and very gifted,I often see the owners of large kits whacking at an endless array of cymbals and drums, often overplaying or being driven to sample every percussion toy surrounding them in a 10 foot circle .

As I have aged,I desire better drum sound more than more speed.(OK,OK I would still like more speed...) No criticism intended if you are one of those guys with big kits,just an observation.
tracer

Most people play on mid-sized sets of 5 to 8 pieces.

Yeah, I can totally relate. Another guy who has scaled down. The problem is I'm only 24.
When I was 10 or 12, I always looked in the ads and listened to stuff with huge kits and dreamed of one day playing it. Now I think "what a hassle".
I mean that with no offense, I just like my cozy four piece. It really hit home the other day when I was messing around on my bop kit and because of an upcoming gig had to trade it out for my six piece configuration(the gig requires this set-up).
I'm do vary as well based on what I need to play or the the gig needs, but I'd rather bring four of the seven pieces.
Any of you feel looked down upon by other musicians because you play a smaller kit? I used to use a larger kit in one of my projects, and now the guys can't understand why I'ce scaled back at all.....
My roomate as well...always wants my seven piece set up. When I pull out my cozy gretsch he complains! WHY is that?

When I first started drumming around 89 or so i remember the kit we had at church, it was a maxwin "by pearl" 12, 13, w/ 16 floor tom and there were two 8 inch accent toms by cannon percussion....somehow i let this influence the way i played then...ya know ahving to have lots of toms and big fills......

wow have I grown up lol.

I really wasnt turned on to using only one rack tom on the kit we have now... but the more and more i have been analyzing my playing style I have found that just because I have a 10 inch now (current setup is 10, 12, 16 with an 8inch mini timbale) I dont really play it much. Going to strip it down this week and see how it feels....the style I play (southern Gospel with a good blend of worship music) doesnt need powerfills and long runs (nothing wrong with em) so stripping the kit down may allow for some more comfortable cymbal placement. I will always be able to add the 10 back If i find I absolutley need it.

My full kit is 8 pc w/ 12 cymbals but I have been using 4 pc w/6 cymbals for shows lately. Its just too much stuff to lug around and set up. I like the convenience of the smaller kit, and set up/tear down is a bit quicker.
I don't think either size kit makes me more/less creative. My playing does seem more focused for improv on the 4pc., b/c there are less places to go I guess. I had to change all the 4 tom fills down to 2, and I miss all the extra voices but less gear works out for the better right now. I would probably use the full kit live if had a roadie.

Back