2014 Snare Drum Olympics - Guru results, Bermuda's Review!

Andy

Honorary Member
Well, we entered a drum in this competition for the first time. Must admit, I didn't have high expectations, but to my surprise, we came joint 3rd overall & second in our category (the biggest category in the competition). Of course, it's all subjective, but from what I can make out, as fairly organised as it's possible to be.

Anyhow, here's the video of the subjective judging section featuring our drum (there's one of these clips for each drum)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7hazaN1PHM&list=UUHR18RQMQBQYWR-Eom0tDiw

I'm pretty pleased with this, although I did feel we got marked down unduly on a couple of non issues. It's not the judges fault, they comment on what they see, but without the benefit of answers to their questions. I have provided answers to the points they raised in the text below the Youtube judging clip. Frustrating really, but it gives me a valuable insight into how our drum is likely to be perceived without the benefit of supporting information. For that alone, it was worth entering :)

Here's a link to see all the Snare Drum Olympics videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/snaredrumolympics/videos

& here's the link to the overall results
http://www.snaredrumolympics.com/submissions/2014-overall-champions/

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2014 Snare Drum Olympics - The/our results!

I’ll have to check these out!

Glad you did well - you make some of the best sounding, best looking drums out there.. :)

Not bad, I'll cast my own vote in a few days! :)

Congratulations my dear - I should jolly well think you are pleased! I'm sure it was never going to be the be all and end all for you, but achieving a result like that won't do the slightest bit of harm. Woo, and indeed, hoo!

Congratulations my Friend !!

What in heavens name is that "thing" that won first place???

Digging Jim and Ben's comments, I wonder if they know the drum is going to me?

What the hell is that tambourine sandwich thing and how did it win?

It's time, Andy. Combination snare drum-mark tree.

First time ever in the Snare Drum Olympics; 3rd place overall and 2nd in your category? If I remember correctly in your first thread on the subject, this was kind of a "dip the toe in the water" for Guru Drums.

If that isn't a home run, I'd say you folks just hit a stand up triple.

Well done and congrats Andy!

Nicely done! Congrats, Andy!

That's great Andy!

Well deserved!

What is clear to me is that most top end snare drums sound pretty much the same ! Seriously, the differences are pretty small, which is maybe partly why they overall voted the odd man out out No. 1.

I wish the judges would also consider volume, this for me helps decide whether I pull out a big brass keplinger or a small pearl omar hakim for a gig. It's easy to think a loud drum is better, but this seduction is false.

There's also a lot to be said for the feel of the drum when played. yes, sound should always be the priority, but a drum that also feels good under the stick makes it more of a pleasure to play, and undoubtedly contributes to it being a desirable drum.

Bermuda

There's also a lot to be said for the feel of the drum when played. yes, sound should always be the priority, but a drum that also feels good under the stick makes it more of a pleasure to play, and undoubtedly contributes to it being a desirable drum.

Bermuda

Yeah, I guess all of us knows what it's like trying to play a snare drum that feels like a sack of wet cement.

I have one that feels like DRY cement: the Dunnett Iron Pig, a cast iron snare!

dunip.jpg

It would take more than Ovangkol wood hoops to tame that baby!

In all honesty Andy the Guru was my favourite. Amazing depth! What a great sound!

Thanks guys :) My temporary frustration for being marked down on non issues is more than tempered by the value in the feedback. It's so easy to get too close to things, & assume that what to me is obvious, to others is not. Recognising concerns, either of substance or otherwise, is a huge help. The issue is never with those who speak out, the challenge lies with those who think the same, but say nothing.

Jon, let me know when the drum arrives with you. Condition looked good on the video, but hoop marks are to be expected after half a show full of visitors played the drum.

The 'feel' of a drum is very important to me, wood hoops do change the feel. On the whole, lighter drums tend to feel better to me than heavier ones.

Will be interesting to hear bermuda's take on it.

They were obviously impressed by the build quality, which is huge, these ppl have seen/played lots of drums.

Third place overall is pretty good IMO, especially for an unknown.

Maybe had the judges known Bermuda had to fight, kick and scratch to get that drum b/f one of the other 94000 forum members got it could have made a difference on how they perceived it.

The Guru Ovangkol snare drum is a work of art. An object of totemic resound.
If I owned it I would display it in my salon, ...if I had a salon.

The grotesque three layered snare had none of the beauty, it did however, have a pleasant dry sensitivity and a musical ring.

Back