letting go

Spectron

Silver Member
Something I can't quite explain but notice during recording sessions.
(playing with the click and music)

Sometimes - I'll be in a rush to record a drum part to some of my original music
I ALWAYS hit record the first time through because I have learned from experience
that sometimes that first run through turns out pretty good.

Usually the first time through is fairly relaxed - my mind set is "this is just a warm up"
and possibly why those first takes somehow just click.

Recently I have been working on a song and about the third take it was like I was on auto pilot or something - I felt strangely disconnected from "thinking" about what I was playing and parts in the song just kind of went by and my arms and legs just kind of instinctively responded. While I was playing, I was thinking "this is surely not going to be a good take" because I was not concentrating AT ALL and the things I played just sort of "happened"

Listening back it was not a "perfect" drum track but it was on meter and had some really great transitional fills and even where some of my guitar tracks waivered from the click the drums followed the music and in that sense - this was a tight performance...it ebbed and flowed with the music real nicely and my timing had a real effortless groove going on.

There was just one kick hit in the whole song that was weak and behind the beat.

Now, I have done another 4-5 takes on this same song thinking that I could
do better and dang if I can't top my spaced out auto pilot third take??

Letting go - it's that space where you are no longer thinking about what your playing but it is just happening. this is where my best drumming comes out.

This is not the first time I have experienced this and some of my best drumming recordings are me on "auto pilot"

I always thought to have good meter meant that you had to have incredible focus
but whenever I "focus" my drumming sounds rigid and I often make mistakes.

It is when I really "let go" and let the click just hover in the background that my timing and playing become fluid but on meter - precise but not rigid. and a real "groove" happens.

It almost seems the less I concentrate - the better I drum.

weird huh?

Back