Build Quality? - Ludwig Classic Maple, Keystone, and Gretsch Brooklyn

Short legs=older model. The leg length is about 23" since the 70's or so. Elite legs are only 21".

The Elite racket was a bit easier to deal with (on some newer drums), which is why I changed the Classics I had over when they came out. The Elite legs are a little fatter, and they had memory locks on them to when I initially changed them. Now a Classic has a memory lock option too, but back then, all I could use was a small hose clamp.

Sgt: If you do change them out, the hole size itself is fine, but the spacings don't match up.

Widen the TOP HOLE slightly. It's not much, a regular round file will work. The bracket screws washer covers the hole too, that's how little difference there is.

Do the TOP hole (towards the top of the drum, right side up), that way the bottom hole is in the same exact spot all the way around.

Short legs=older model. The leg length is about 23" since the 70's or so. Elite legs are only 21".

The Elite racket was a bit easier to deal with (on some newer drums), which is why I changed the Classics I had over when they came out. The Elite legs are a little fatter, and they had memory locks on them to when I initially changed them. Now a Classic has a memory lock option too, but back then, all I could use was a small hose clamp.

Sgt: If you do change them out, the hole size itself is fine, but the spacings don't match up.

Widen the TOP HOLE slightly. It's not much, a regular round file will work. The bracket screws washer covers the hole too, that's how little difference there is.

Do the TOP hole (towards the top of the drum, right side up), that way the bottom hole is in the same exact spot all the way around.

That's exactly what I've been reading about in my google searches. Saw a few posts from you on the subject. :)

I read that they discontinued the Elite floor tom leg brackets, because the actual legs touch the bottom hoop when using them? Not sure what that's all about. I thought I still saw the Elite brackets being offered in the latest Ludwig catalog. Maybe they fixed the issue and didn't really discontinue them, not sure.

Then there's the Keystone bracket. It looks good and apparently is the same hole spacing as the Elite, which means your instructions above for widening the top hole slightly should work for Keystone brackets too.

Then I'd have to get the larger legs, I presume. I would love to have larger diameter legs and more sturdy brackets and I'm not really scare of widening the hole. I may do this sometime soon.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh shoot, I almost completely forgot that the Classic brackets on my 1-year old Classic Maple set all have these huge gaskets that make the brackets stick out from the shell more than the old style brackets. I'll try to find a picture online of what I'm saying.

I bought a Classic bracket and use it as a ride cymbal mount on the bass drum and it came with the smaller thin rubber gasket, not the big ass plastic gasket that came installed on my new drums. Weird.

That could actually make things more difficult.

I had one set of Classic gaskets come in on a FT that were these molded plastic jobs. Probably 1/4" thick! All the others were just the 1/16th thick rubber like my first two.

My first Elite brackets on a drum had the thicker gaskets, and the first couple sets I bought as parts used them too.
Then they changed to the thinner style...why?, I don't know (because Ludwig sucks right? They have that inexcusable rod splay and all that, so they blow right? ;-P).

The clearance is not quite as much, but none of the newer legs touch the hoops, so whatever.

Yes, the spacing for Elite and Keystone are the same. NO problem with clearance with a Keystone bracket. They do look kinda cool, but changing over (at the least) 9 floor toms i$'t going to happen for me :)
Extending the top hole up a little still applies, and it's about 1/16th".

I had one set of Classic gaskets come in on a FT that were these molded plastic jobs. Probably 1/4" thick! All the others were just the 1/16th thick rubber like my first two.

My first Elite brackets on a drum had the thicker gaskets, and the first couple sets I bought as parts used them too.
Then they changed to the thinner style...why?, I don't know (because Ludwig sucks right? They have that inexcusable rod splay and all that, so they blow right? ;-P).

The clearance is not quite as much, but none of the newer legs touch the hoops, so whatever.

Yes, the spacing for Elite and Keystone are the same. NO problem with clearance with a Keystone bracket. They do look kinda cool, but changing over (at the least) 9 floor toms i$'t going to happen for me :)
Extending the top hole up a little still applies, and it's about 1/16th".

Thanks for your consistent help with all-things-Ludwig! You've saved me a ton of time in this thread and several others. Really appreciate it.

I've had my Keystones for about a year and a half now.

Specs:

9x 13 Tom
14x24 Virgin Kick
16x16 Floor Tom
16x18 Floor Tom

5 ply shells configured as follows:

3 ply maple core 2.4mm thick
1/16" inner and outer ply of oak
Dual 45 degree bearing edge

Heads:

Evans G2 batter over Evans EC Reso on the toms
Evans EQ1 Clear batter and Evans EQ1 Black Reso (ported) on the kick

The drums were delivered extremely well packaged and in perfect condition. The outer finish had no visual defects. I believe that at this point these drums are only offered in wrap finish. The wrap I chose was the Mint Oyster Glass that looks great with no flaws and looks to be applied very well. The inner finish of each drum seemed flawless as well. The bearing edges were all smooth and level. All holes were bored cleanly and no lugs were loose.

I'd classify the overall quality of the fit and finish of the shell pack as outstanding.

The "claw like" lugs on the kick drum seemed well made and look "low profile" to me. The spurs can be set to position easily and seem very sturdy and easy to use. The tips are retractable/adjustable and very pointy and sharp.

The hardware on the drums seems very well made and durable. The ride tom mount easily attaches to cymbal stand and provides great placement flexibility. The lugs are small and are designed for minimal contact. To me, they look kind of vintage.

The entire appearance of the kit, to me, seems "retro". I like.

The Sound:

FAT AND LOUD! I love the sound of these drums. Sharp and solid attack with a short decay. Consistantly get comments on how great they sound from both musicians and non-musicians alike. Perfect for the genre I'm currently playing.

Overall Impression:

Price point for this configuration seems to be in the $1,500 to $1,800 range. Other configurations can range from $1,300 to $2,500.

I'm very pleased and happy with these drums. For the money, if you're in the market for a "classic rock" sounding kit, would highly recommend the Ludwig Keysone Series.

I've had my Keystones for about a year and a half now.

Specs:

9x 13 Tom
14x24 Virgin Kick
16x16 Floor Tom
16x18 Floor Tom

5 ply shells configured as follows:

3 ply maple core 2.4mm thick
1/16" inner and outer ply of oak
Dual 45 degree bearing edge

Heads:

Evans G2 batter over Evans EC Reso on the toms
Evans EQ1 Clear batter and Evans EQ1 Black Reso (ported) on the kick

The drums were delivered extremely well packaged and in perfect condition. The outer finish had no visual defects. I believe that at this point these drums are only offered in wrap finish. The wrap I chose was the Mint Oyster Glass that looks great with no flaws and looks to be applied very well. The inner finish of each drum seemed flawless as well. The bearing edges were all smooth and level. All holes were bored cleanly and no lugs were loose.

I'd classify the overall quality of the fit and finish of the shell pack as outstanding.

The "claw like" lugs on the kick drum seemed well made and look "low profile" to me. The spurs can be set to position easily and seem very sturdy and easy to use. The tips are retractable/adjustable and very pointy and sharp.

The hardware on the drums seems very well made and durable. The ride tom mount easily attaches to cymbal stand and provides great placement flexibility. The lugs are small and are designed for minimal contact. To me, they look kind of vintage.

The entire appearance of the kit, to me, seems "retro". I like.

The Sound:

FAT AND LOUD! I love the sound of these drums. Sharp and solid attack with a short decay. Consistantly get comments on how great they sound from both musicians and non-musicians alike. Perfect for the genre I'm currently playing.

Overall Impression:

Price point for this configuration seems to be in the $1,500 to $1,800 range. Other configurations can range from $1,300 to $2,500.

I'm very pleased and happy with these drums. For the money, if you're in the market for a "classic rock" sounding kit, would highly recommend the Ludwig Keysone Series.

Hmmm.........guess I should read an entire thread before posting. My bad. Congrats on the new kit. Enjoy.

Nice review on the kit in general. Nice sizes too. The new Atlas mount will work on the toms (CM or KS), eliminating the Vibra-band mount altogether if you use one.

Kevin Packard from Ludwig said they were going to be available as a part this month (July). Don't know the price though.

Hmmm.........guess I should read an entire thread before posting. My bad. Congrats on the new kit. Enjoy.

LOL! Nice kit you have there. I'm fully convinced now that the Keystone series are killer and high quality. Haven't played on in person, but I have my eyes on those newly released setups (20" or 22" bass drum).

Thanks. I just use a snare stand.

Me too.

If you ever feel that the tom might sound a bit choked, check out the things called "Little Booty Shakers". I saw them at the Chicago Drum Show this past May, picked some up, and they work fantastically. Like you were just holding the rim, and it wasn't in a basket. Total resonance. They're pretty cheap, easy to attach, and stable too.

Me too.

If you ever feel that the tom might sound a bit choked, check out the things called "Little Booty Shakers". I saw them at the Chicago Drum Show this past May, picked some up, and they work fantastically. Like you were just holding the rim, and it wasn't in a basket. Total resonance. They're pretty cheap, easy to attach, and stable too.

Never heard of them so looked them up online. Look interesting. Might try. Thx.

LOL! Nice kit you have there. I'm fully convinced now that the Keystone series are killer and high quality. Haven't played on in person, but I have my eyes on those newly released setups (20" or 22" bass drum).

Yeah, of the kits I have it's in my top 2.

photo4_zps3d640570.jpg

Back