Ludwig Classic Maple or Vistalite?

Ethan Chandler

I'm looking for my next kit and cannot decide between the classic maple and vistalite series from ludwig. I am looking into a blue sparkle kit in the bonham sizes or a clear or green Vistalite in the fab 22 setup. I love both but I don't know which kit is going to suit me best as an kit I would use for everything. My only concerns for the vistalite is that it would look weird in a venue were you are out in the open with no tent, and not under the lights. What do you think?

I'm looking for my next kit and cannot decide between the classic maple and vistalite series from ludwig. I am looking into a blue sparkle kit in the bonham sizes or a clear or green Vistalite in the fab 22 setup. I love both but I don't know which kit is going to suit me best as an kit I would use for everything. My only concerns for the vistalite is that it would look weird in a venue were you are out in the open with no tent, and not under the lights. What do you think?

All depends on your tastes and the type of music you are playing. Personally, I love Vistalites, but a CM would fit in more situations IMO

Just my opinion, but I think the Classic Maple would be more versatile.

Also, not that I have any experience with it, but I've heard that Vistalites can be a chore to tune.

I should think looks would be the main reason TO buy a Vista. As far as sound, plastic drums are just ok for me. Like pretty and expensive versions of my first drums, a bunch of plastic buckets turned upside down. Maple,maple,maple! CM wins this battle hands down.

Tama just came out with a set of Plexi drums, seamless five piece available in March at Musiciansfriend for 1099.00 Check them out.

I vote Classic maple due to versatility. Also I find they have a distinct Ludwig tone. Vistalites are great too, but, to me, they don't sound different from other acrylic shells which can be had for much less.

I've owned a Vistalite kit and now own a Classic Maple. And the funny thing was, my vistalite kit was solid black (so you couldn't tell it was an acrylic) and I got so many compliments on my great woody tone. Go figure.

Tama just came out with a set of Plexi drums, seamless five piece available in March at Musiciansfriend for 1099.00 Check them out.

Pearl's also got the Crystal Beats. Both are less expensive than the Vistalites, unless it's just gotta' be Ludwig.

That said - my vote goes to the Classic Maples too, for the reasons already mentioned.

It seems you are comparing large oranges to small apples. : )

My vote is to get the big Bonham sized Ludwig Classic Maples, or maybe Bonham sized Vistas. I imagine that the fab22 kit is roughly the same price as the Bonham sized CM kit. I picked up a new Ludwig Classic Maple kit last year in 26x14", 14x10", & 16x16", and I LOVE them. They feel big and powerful and full of great tone. I can hear my bass drum over all the other hundreds of watts of guitar and bass amps. If you have ever though about owning a JB kit, I would say do that. I have nothing against the Vistas to be sure, but the tone and feel of a larger sized are an experience in and of itself.

I love it so much that I have a hard time to get as excited about my other 22" bass drum kits. I still rather like playing over not playing, but giving the choice, I would rather be playing my big Ludwigs. So maybe I am a bit biased. So take it for what it's worth.

It seems you are comparing large oranges to small apples. : )

Couldn't agree more.

It seems to me that at the very least, determining your desired shell sizes would be a far more practical step in the long run. It's more likely to help with your final decision making too.

Yup. Get the BIG ones. They are SO fun to play. Pay no attention to guy flailing around behind that beautiful Ludwig Classic Maple kit.

Attachments

• FluxNewFrontier.11.29.14.jpg
    FluxNewFrontier.11.29.14.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 295
It's a win/win situation if you want to be cooler than a polar bears backside looks wise then it's vistalite all the way.

I use a 70s maple ludwig as my workhorse and get lots of compliments on looks/sound.

The vistas and maple kits should be easier to tune these days because the shells are better made.

I just bought a crush acrylic kit and I am super impressed with the tone and depth of these drums, but they are a bit of a novelty, wooden drums are subtle by comparison. I have my first gig with them on Friday, I'm hoping they aren't too agressive for small venues.

Back