DW Black Nickel Over Brass Snare (Pics Inside)

areFish

Silver Member
I picked up a new snare drum today. It's a 6.5 x 14 DW Collector's Series Black Nickel Over Brass with chrome hardware. It has a 1 mm brass shell plated with nickel. It has 3 mm True Hoops, 10 lugs, Mag Throw and 3-Position Butt Plate. I replaced the stock heads with an Aquarian Single Ply Coated w/ Power Dot and a Classic Clear Snare Side.

The drum is heaver than a 10-ply maple of the same size, but not as heavy as the DW Brass snare. I've only played it for about 20 minutes so far with about a medium / high tuning. I'm very pleased with the way this drum sounds from the cross sticking to the rim shots and everything else in between. I'm not using any muffling, with the exception of what the reverse dot provides, and the overtones are pleasant without being too ringy IMO.

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3109-1.jpg

IMG_3108-1.jpg

So I just picked up one of these for $180. My intention was to harvest the hardware for another DW snare shell I have, but after playing it, I just can't bring myself to doing that.

Those of you in the know, I have a few questions:
1) What's the difference in the shell used in the original Workshop Series BNOB and the current Collectors BNOB?
2) If it's not the same shell, what is this most like in the DW lines currently?
3) This snare features a rolled shell, correct?

Thanks in advance.
1614709827732.png

Very nice. I'm seriously considering picking a 6.5 x 14 version of this. My only concern is it may sound too similar to my Gretsch COB 5X14. But I think the Gretsch is just a bit thin for my taste. I'm still working on dialing it in for the rooms we play.

That looks like a very good snare. May it give you years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.

Back